CNC3 Hangar Fire

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

CNC3 Hangar Fire

Post by JasonE »

---------- ADS -----------

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: CNC3 Hangar Fire

Post by pelmet »

Just heard that some idiot with a C172 was draining fuel from his aircraft in a hangar and he had a trouble light with an old incandescent light in it. Fuel spilled on the light and caught fire. Other owners arrived to get their aircraft out but the fire cut the power and they couldn't open their doors,

So a Navajo is lost, a rare Chipmunk and some rare spare Gipsy Major engines, and a super rare original Avro 504 along with all the memorabilia that the owner had collected over the years which was his life as he spent a large amount of his time there. All because some idiot is stupid.

Thanks buddy

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:04 pm
All because some idiot is stupid.

Thanks buddy
Yeah -- sounds like a stupid preventable incident.

After reading a number of your posts, Pelmet, a theme is appears in which you seem to revel in revealing the stupidity of others. I'll let you in on a fact almost the whole world of a certain maturity knows:

Everyone of us is stupid in one way or another, in airplanes or otherwise. Most times, it doesn't have such a sad outcome. Sometimes, it's far worse.

We all hope that's not us that's the idiot that causes millions in damage, or the loss of a life, imminently worse.

Some friendly advice.

I

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:03 pm
pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:04 pm
All because some idiot is stupid.

Thanks buddy
After reading a number of your posts, Pelmet, a theme is appears in which you seem to revel in revealing the stupidity of others. I'll let you in on a fact almost the whole world of a certain maturity knows:

Everyone of us is stupid in one way or another, in airplanes or otherwise. Most times, it doesn't have such a sad outcome. Sometimes, it's far worse.

We all hope that's not us that's the idiot that causes millions in damage, or the loss of a life, imminently worse.

Some friendly advice.
Yeah, I am really revelling at this loss of historic aircraft and someone's lifetime collection. I would say that deep, deep frustration is more like it when something like this happens.

Meanwhile, like some others here, I try to pass on as much info as possible in many threads about the errors that are made in the industry in the hope that they will be read and possibly prevent further tragedies and possibly save lives. Admittedly, after hearing of what was lost here in completely unnecessary incident, I added a few choice words.

Unfortunately, I think you are resentful for perceived slight in a previous thread after being called out for very incorrect beliefs, quite possibly more than once.

In the end, I am confident that the info given in my postings on this thread(and others where we have had discussions) are much more likely to prevent tragedies than the useless info you post. (ie example given on how a fire can start) versus (we are all stupid and I am more mature than you).

Thanks for your advice anyways. Maybe it will prove to be useful somewhere.

Last edited by pelmet on Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I have found your posts to be interesting as they usually involve accidents and as such it gives people an opportunity to discuss what caused said accidents.

As to some of your comments being a bit offensive I just ignore that as we all make comments that offend someone.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:35 pm
Yeah, I am really revelling at this loss of historic aircraft and someone's lifetime collection. I would say that deep, deep frustration is more like it when something like this happens.
I happen to think the three young lives needlessly wasted in the St Catherine's club accident are infinitely more valuable than any aircraft. That accident is very frustrating to me, the pain of the loss is at a level that doesn't compare.

As shown by your callousness in your comments, you do not, and yeah that's deeply offensive to me.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:05 pm
I happen to think the three young lives needlessly wasted in the St Catherine's club accident are infinitely more valuable than any aircraft. That accident is very frustrating to me, the pain of the loss is at a level that doesn't compare.

As shown by your ridiculous comments, you do not, and yeah that's deeply offensive to me.

BTW, Don't ever partronize me, sir, on what I do and do not know. Way over your head.
C.W.E. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:01 pm I have found your posts to be interesting as they usually involve accidents and as such it gives people an opportunity to discuss what caused said accidents.

As to some of your comments being a bit offensive I just ignore that as we all make comments that offend someone.
Thanks .,

I think Rookie Pilot is more interested in people not taking responsibility for their own actions rather than learning lessons and preventing future accidents. There are some with a Blame Everyone else mindset. They take offense at harsh, critical analysis whether it is of ourselves or others. It is not a way to learn and prevent......Which is what is most important, not whether one is feeling patronized and making baseless statement of being in over your head.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:07 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:05 pm

As shown by your ridiculous comments, you do not, and yeah that's deeply offensive to me.

BTW, Don't ever partronize me, sir, on what I do and do not know. Way over your head.
C.W.E. wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:01 pm I have found your posts to be interesting as they usually involve accidents and as such it gives people an opportunity to discuss what caused said accidents.

Thanks .,

I think Rookie Pilot is more interested in people not taking responsibility for their own actions rather than learning lessons and preventing future accidents. There are some with a Blame Everyone else mindset. They take offense at harsh, critical analysis whether it is of ourselves or others. It is not a way to learn and prevent......Which is what is most important, not whether one is feeling patronized and making baseless statement of being in over your head.
Rookie pilot would have the St Catherine's Flight school shut down and held accountable for its actions, where you blame innocent students.

Don't again patronize me or put words in my mouth.

Go back to your basement and your flight sim program.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

How do you know Pelmet is even a pilot? Just curious.

Also "he heard". How do we know this is factual? Just curious again.

Where exactly do you work Pelmet?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:18 pm

How do you know Pelmet is even a pilot? Just curious.

Also "he heard". How do we know this is factual? Just curious again.

Where exactly do you work Pelmet?
Oh God, here we go again.

First of all, what difference does it make whether I am a pilot or not. What is important is the information provided. If lessons learned can be provided by non-pilots(guess what, some NTSB investigators are not pilots) then that is what is important. How do we know that Rookie pilot is a pilot. His opinions lead one to think that he may not be.

And now he wants to know where I work. Reminds me of Rockie. Maybe I am retired or out of a job. But I tell you what, you give your exact place of work with details as incentive for me to do the same and who knows, maybe I will provide a teaser for you.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Is there an annual prize for for the quickest, or weirdest off-topic swerve a thread takes? This one is a contender for 2019.

Hangar fires to career interrogation in 10 posts.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:31 pm
First of all, what difference does it make whether I am a pilot or not.
Now we're getting somewhere.

Goes to credibility, and certainly understanding your frame of reference. You're the one putting yourself out as the expert, and it's a pilot forum. Where do you, or did you work? What's your basis of experience.

Mine is this. I run my own small non aviation company, and I'm a light AC pilot for about the last decade. Never represented myself as anything but that very limited experience.

I commented a lot -- forcefully , even -- on the flying club accident because like many, I used to train and fly from a flying club, and I still can't believe a flight like that was allowed to occur. Context. You trolled every comment I made there. Now you're trolling my observation -- lives are more precious than aircraft.

I not only have flying club experience, I've flown the exact route of that accident, in a light Cessna, on multiple occasions, in weather and out of it.

I think I had reasonable context to comment.

What's your context then? Think it's a fair question.

You came after me, sir, with the personal stuff. So let's have it.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Antique Pilot
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Antique Pilot »

pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:04 pm Just heard that some idiot with a C172 was draining fuel from his aircraft in a hangar and he had a trouble light with an old incandescent light in it. Fuel spilled on the light and caught fire. Other owners arrived to get their aircraft out but the fire cut the power and they couldn't open their doors,

So a Navajo is lost, a rare Chipmunk and some rare spare Gipsy Major engines, and a super rare original Avro 504 along with all the memorabilia that the owner had collected over the years which was his life as he spent a large amount of his time there. All because some idiot is stupid.

Thanks buddy
I was told by a reliable source that in addition
to the Chipmunk a Nieuport replica was lost.
A Gypsy Moth and an Avro Avian (not an Avro 504)
were parked elsewhere.
AP

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:42 pm
pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:31 pm
First of all, what difference does it make whether I am a pilot or not.
Now we're getting somewhere.

Goes to credibility, and certainly understanding your frame of reference. You're the one putting yourself out as the expert, and it's a pilot forum. Where do you, or did you work? What's your basis of experience.

Mine is this. I run my own small non aviation company, and I'm a light AC pilot for about the last decade. Never represented myself as anything but that very limited experience.

I commented a lot -- forcefully , even -- on the flying club accident because like many, I used to train and fly from a flying club, and I still can't believe a flight like that was allowed to occur. Context.

What's yours then? Think it's a fair question.

You came after me, sir, with the personal stuff. So let's have it.
Like I told Rockie, I am just a guy playing the sim in the basement. Never even been in an airplane.

Yet strangely enough, I seem to know a lot more about aviation than you.

Seeing as you admittedly have limited flying experience, I suggest you do as I do. Try to learn as much as possible from others, post lessons learned here on the forum and try your best to learn from others. Actually, 10 years is a long time. You probably could post quite a bit of useful stuff, Its never too late to start.

Remember, when someone 's arguments end up being name calling or insinuating that the other is not a pilot, etc, you know they lost credibility long ago.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:08 pm I am just a guy playing the sim in the basement. Never even been in an airplane.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:29 pm
pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:08 pm I am just a guy playing the sim in the basement. Never even been in an airplane.
pelmet wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:08 pm Yet strangely enough, I seem to know a lot more about aviation than you.
How does that happen? :roll:

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

photofly wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:33 pm Is there an annual prize for for the quickest, or weirdest off-topic swerve a thread takes? This one is a contender for 2019.

The swerve began at post number 3. You can see the skid marks and everything.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

Anyway.....shame about the damage to a good hangar and some fine aircraft, and about the inconvenience to neighbouring hangar owners. Glad nobody was hurt - property can be replaced.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

YYZSaabGuy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:41 am Anyway.....shame about the damage to a good hangar and some fine aircraft, and about the inconvenience to neighbouring hangar owners. Glad nobody was hurt - property can be replaced.
Ditto! That is one of the drawbacks with joined hangars like that style of t-hangar. A fire starts out in one and it quickly rips through the rest of the line.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Aviatard wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:35 am
photofly wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:33 pm Is there an annual prize for for the quickest, or weirdest off-topic swerve a thread takes? This one is a contender for 2019.

The swerve began at post number 3. You can see the skid marks and everything.
Unbelievable isn't it. In the end, I wanted to try to give an exact detail about how the fire started, fuel on a hot light(and probably no fire extinguisher nearby) and some troll comes along and does this. No one was hurt but people could have been hurt and irreplaceable property was damaged. Unfortunately , there is the occasional poster who was proven wrong in a previous thread that feels the need to exact some sort of takedown later on later thread and ruins threads. To show his level of maturity, he has ruined another thread on another forum on the same subject complaining/insulting me on it instead of actively participating in it.

I like the idea of asking others on this thread what they do to prevent fires when they defuel, instead of just saying we are all stupid or asking where others work in order to somehow provide proof of knowledge. That is the difference between being a useless troll and an informative participant, even if one is participating by gleaning info from others.

So lets get back on track as the last few posts have been doping and ask what we can do in terms of providing information to reduce the likelihood of this happening again. What do you do/see others do when defueling. As a pilot alone without help, I have done a partial defuel out of a Cessna outdoors. It was a long time ago and was likely done improperly, any suggestions?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”