Calling it quick

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Calling it quick

Post by pelmet »

As the machines we are flying get lighter(as a general structural statement), one needs to be more conservative in the weather conditions they fly in.

I cancelled a flight in a Light Sport Aircraft a couple of months ago as it was kind of windy at about 25 knots and in a somewhat mountainous area. I did that debate thing about whether I should go or not. Would it have been OK if I went, probably. But I decided that it was a policy and should stick to it. Plus I had the benefit of no real pressure and another booking for the next day which was a really nice day(in other words, I would have been flying back to base). An instructor did take off with a student, so maybe I was overly conservative.

But on the really light machines, one has to be super careful. I have parachuted a bunch and gone on a powered parachute flight with an instructor on the ground directing me. I have thought of riding in one of those large parachutes that one sees soaring in the mountains.

Here is a news story about an accident with some good advice about mountain flying in these chutes. My take from it....if I ever try one of these chutes in the mountains, I will go only on the most benign of days as winds can change quickly in the mountains as the day progresses....Remember, your legs are the landing gear in these things.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60167233100 ... show-clips
---------- ADS -----------

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Calling it quick

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

pelmet wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:34 am As the machines we are flying get lighter(as a general structural statement), one needs to be more conservative in the weather conditions they fly in.

I cancelled a flight in a Light Sport Aircraft a couple of months ago as it was kind of windy at about 25 knots and in a somewhat mountainous area. I did that debate thing about whether I should go or not. Would it have been OK if I went, probably. But I decided that it was a policy and should stick to it. Plus I had the benefit of no real pressure and another booking for the next day which was a really nice day(in other words, I would have been flying back to base). An instructor did take off with a student, so maybe I was overly conservative.

But on the really light machines, one has to be super careful. I have parachuted a bunch and gone on a powered parachute flight with an instructor on the ground directing me. I have thought of riding in one of those large parachutes that one sees soaring in the mountains.

Here is a news story about an accident with some good advice about mountain flying in these chutes. My take from it....if I ever try one of these chutes in the mountains, I will go only on the most benign of days as winds can change quickly in the mountains as the day progresses....Remember, your legs are the landing gear in these things.

https://video.foxnews.com/v/60167233100 ... show-clips
Great post. Sound advice!

I too occasionally fly smaller experimental aircraft below 1300 lbs. Awhile ago I was taxing in one for my first time after it’s build. The damn thing weathercocked itself in a G25 knot crosswind despite full rudder and breaking! “Coffee time for me” I thought as I taxied back to the hangar!

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Calling it quick

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Smart man. When in doubt call it quick. Worst case ontario you miss out on some flying and enjoy a lovely dinner. Bone apple tea!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”