Watch That Overhead Baggage

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Watch That Overhead Baggage

Post by pelmet »

It seems these days that all sorts of heavy baggage goes in the overhead bins. Some of it in hard suitcases. I am always a bit paranoid when someone is placing or removing stuff above me as I sit in the aisle seat either moving or ready to block something that falls. One can be seriously injured....

"C-FLUJ, a Boeing 737-800 aircraft operated by Sunwing Airlines, was conducting flight SWG781
from Montego Bay/Sangster Intl (MKJS), Jamaica to Toronto/Lester B. Pearson Intl (CYYZ), ON
with 6 crew members and 184 passengers on board. During the boarding at MKJS, a cabin crew
member became incapacitated after a passenger accidentally dropped a carry-on bag onto her
head. The crew member experienced dizziness, headaches, and vomiting, was removed from the
flight and taken to the hospital.
A decision was made to disembark the passengers, and to operate the aircraft as positioning flight
SWG9871 to Montreal/Pierre Elliott Trudeau Intl (CYUL), QC without passengers."

Be careful.

http://www.airsafe.com/journal/issue13.htm
---------- ADS -----------

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Watch That Overhead Baggage

Post by BMLtech »

The whole carry-on issue has gotten completely out of hand since they started charging for checked bags. Scary watching the bins flex in turbulence when they are way overloaded.One of these days the whole thing will detach and come down on the pax in a hard landing. What gets me is every domestic flight I have been on lately has offered free bag check at the gate to speed up boarding. Who in there right mind would pay to check a bag if they are doing that regularly now. :roll:

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

Accident waiting to happen, actually already happened! At least 1 dead person needs to show up on the radar for the regs/ common sense to be enforced !
Was the crew running duty limits or 1 less attendant is not enough for the flight? Unusual, it seems , to deadhead a flight under these circumstances!

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

corethatthermal wrote: Fri May 17, 2019 7:36 pm Accident waiting to happen, actually already happened! At least 1 dead person needs to show up on the radar for the regs/ common sense to be enforced !
Was the crew running duty limits or 1 less attendant is not enough for the flight? Unusual, it seems , to deadhead a flight under these circumstances!
Can’t operate the flight without all the fa’s.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Sometime a little paranoia can go a long way, If it is a big heavy bag, I suggest just leaning or getting out of the way....

WestJet sued over failed attempt to store overhead luggage
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/w ... spartandhp

"Passenger sues after suitcase falls on his head, injures him at DIA"
https://www.denverpost.com/2019/02/22/s ... ad-injury/

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”