Air Safety Institute Videos for GA flying.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Air Safety Institute Videos for GA flying.

Post by rookiepilot »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3xhjXl454

As a GA pilot I find these detailed analysis videos valuable. AOPA is a great organization.

This is is interesting one -- I find them all good -- due to the different factors mentioned in the video.

I recall a fairly low IMC approach I made in the US -- where the controller first removed pressure by placing me in a hold, then landing the commercial traffic ahead of me, then after clearing me for the approach requested and passed on the altitude the traffic in front broke out. Outstanding service and approach was a non event.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7sfHlzv6Rlk

This is another good one, and putting aside the issue of redundancy, makes me think about how I might handle a similar situation. Maybe request a climb, stay high and clear of cloud (assuming that was possible) until over Hartford, desecend cautiously with gear and flaps extended.

I will emphasize the point, in my limited experience, 99% of ATC service has been outstanding in both US and Canada.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon May 27, 2019 9:12 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Roadrunnersmother
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Air Safety Institute Videos.

Post by Roadrunnersmother »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 1:50 pm https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3xhjXl454

As a GA pilot I find these detailed analysis videos valuable.

This is is interesting one -- I find them all good -- due to the different factors mentioned in the video.

I recall a fairly low IMC approach I made in the US -- where the controller first removed pressure by placing me in a hold, then landing the commercial traffic ahead of me, then after clearing me for the approach requested and passed on the altitude the traffic in front broke out. Outstanding service and approach was a non event.
ATC in USA is 1st class. ATC in Canada is a joke. Amazing help from controllers during storm season out of DFW getting around storms. Just opposite in Canada, all on your own.

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Air Safety Institute Videos for GA flying.

Post by Jean-Pierre »

If you can not avoid a thunderstorm ask your captain how to work the weather radar.

Diadem
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Air Safety Institute Videos for GA flying.

Post by Diadem »

Jean-Pierre wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 2:13 pm If you can not avoid a thunderstorm ask your captain how to work the weather radar.
I'm not sure how accurate the radar in Flight Sim X is, so he might be having trouble picking an appropriate heading.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”