Plane crash between Medicine Hat and Moose Jaw

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Plane crash between Medicine Hat and Moose Jaw

Post by Posthumane »

https://chatnewstoday.ca/article/598198 ... ess-county

Not much info yet. The article says that there were "parachutes deployed" which makes me think Cirrus or some other BRS equipped aircraft.
---------- ADS -----------

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Plane crash between Medicine Hat and Moose Jaw

Post by anofly »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/ ... -1.5159366

This identifies the plane as a grumman . more info will no doubt clear it up.

P-40
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by P-40 »

This article identifies the aircraft as an AA-IV model. Can a BRS system even be retrofitted to this airframe? Perhaps the initial reports of 'parachute deployed' is also incorrect.

https://edmonton.citynews.ca/2019/06/02 ... icine-hat/

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

The media wouldn't just get facts wrong.

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

This report call it a AA-5B which is a Grumman Tiger. Earlier reports of a ballistic parachute are probably wrong because all are dead, and the aircraft was totally destroyed.

https://chatnewstoday.ca/article/598198 ... ess-county

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

Unfortunately no survivors, condolences to the families.
There is one AA-5B registered in Moose Jaw.
It was pretty smokey this weekend. Medicine Hat was reporting 6SM in Hz at the time of their departure (~10pm), and the next weather station is swift current, reporting 9SM on the auto station. The stations are 100NM apart though, and when I drove that route on Friday the reports were pretty similar but the enroute vis was down to less than 3SM. I wonder if they were IFR or VFR.

Whatever problem they had, it was shortly after take off - Irvine is pretty much just out of the control zone to the east.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
laminar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by laminar »

Terrible news. Two fathers of an upcoming bride and groom, and a family friend from what I have read.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

Terrible news, condolences. I once had a vfr flight into left over forest fire smoke at night, in an unfamiliar plane ,,,, it was a very unpleasant bit of flying, I was ifr rated and qualified at the time. The plane was not.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Two fathers of an upcoming bride and groom, and a family friend
It seems a little conspicuous that there have been aircraft accidents associated with weddings. When my eldest daughter was married seven years ago, though I flew on my own within a few days of the big day, I did not carry any passengers. Then, two days before, I parked the plane in the middle of my runway to block it (both my runway, and the wedding were here at home). I did not want any aviation event spoiling her wedding. I even resisted taking aerial photos of the big day, there are none, and the wedding went wonderfully, with no bad memories.

I know it's hard to resist getting the plane out sometimes, but some days are so important to a family, that the additional risk of a flight might not be worth it.

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

There's a few people who have told me second hand that the PIC was not licensed. I don't know if this is true, it's from the rumor mill. He clearly had been flying that plane for some time. I don't know how much, if any, instrument experience he had.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

PilotDAR wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:14 am
It seems a little conspicuous that there have been aircraft accidents associated with weddings. When my eldest daughter was married seven years ago, though I flew on my own within a few days of the big day, I did not carry any passengers. Then, two days before, I parked the plane in the middle of my runway to block it (both my runway, and the wedding were here at home). I did not want any aviation event spoiling her wedding. I even resisted taking aerial photos of the big day, there are none, and the wedding went wonderfully, with no bad memories.

I know it's hard to resist getting the plane out sometimes, but some days are so important to a family, that the additional risk of a flight might not be worth it.
The risk of flight? It would have made more sense to not drive your car on the wedding day. You guys make it sound like if you are involved in general aviation you are living on borrowed time.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Your probably more likely to get stabbed outside the liquor store picking up more Champaign than a flying accident.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

You guys make it sound like if you are involved in general aviation you are living on borrowed time.
Yeah, I'm kinda an expert at that, but anyway....

It's not that an accident is necessarily more likely, but if an accident were to occur, the memory effect upon the wedding party is much more severe. Members of the wedding party who might be acting as a pilot, a driver, or even walking outside the liquor store may have the joys of wedding on their mind a little more that focusing on the flying, driving or walking. In my opinion,a family member's special event is a less good time to act as a pilot relative to that event. Driving is a little more necessary, but no less severe if things go wrong. In my capacity as a firefighter, I have cut people out of crashed cars (or not), when the car was filled with wrapped presents. Even if the presents made it, I doubt that they were wanted any more....

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Posthumane wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:20 am There's a few people who have told me second hand that the PIC was not licensed. I don't know if this is true, it's from the rumor mill. He clearly had been flying that plane for some time. I don't know how much, if any, instrument experience he had.
It's official. Expired Student Pilot License, at night, with passengers. So unbelievably sad when poor life choices kill innocent people.

https://calgaryherald.com/pmn/news-pmn/ ... a019d1c18e

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”