RCMP arrest drunken men on flight to Vegas stag after plane forced down in Winnipeg

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

RCMP arrest drunken men on flight to Vegas stag after plane forced down in Winnipeg

Post by golden hawk »

---------- ADS -----------

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: RCMP arrest drunken men on flight to Vegas stag after plane forced down in Winnipeg

Post by '97 Tercel »

2 years in jail!!! Wow, that's like a manslaughter sentence in Canada...

tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: RCMP arrest drunken men on flight to Vegas stag after plane forced down in Winnipeg

Post by tps8903 »

'97 Tercel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:16 pm 2 years in jail!!! Wow, that's like a manslaughter sentence in Canada...
Actually, it is often exactly what one would get for impaired driving cause death in Canada. So not far off.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

tps8903 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:35 pm
'97 Tercel wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:16 pm 2 years in jail!!! Wow, that's like a manslaughter sentence in Canada...
Actually, it is often exactly what one would get for impaired driving cause death in Canada. So not far off.
Whom did they kill?

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

Nobody should have to put up with this kind of idiotic nonsense.
Especially when it endangers people in the confined space of an aircraft at FL390.
Let this be a message loud and clear, the public do not have to put up with morons like this.
There are real repercussions!

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

which led the captain to divert the flight to Winnipeg — dumping 10,000 gallons (about 37, 854 litres) of fuel to land safely.
Does that sound right, having to dump fuel to land when already 3/4 of the way enroute to the intended destination?

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

When you imagine the combined cost of diverting an aircraft, dumping fuel, messing up the travel plans of over 100 other people and having to provide a place for them to stay and an alternate flight to their destination, not to mention how uncomfortable and bothersome the experience would be for the other passengers, 2 years seems absolutely fair.

People just don't understand how their actions can affect others. A story like this sends a good message. Now if only they could catch those laser pointer idiots easier!

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
tps8903
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tps8903 »

youhavecontrol wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 am When you imagine the combined cost of diverting an aircraft, dumping fuel, messing up the travel plans of over 100 other people and having to provide a place for them to stay and an alternate flight to their destination, not to mention how uncomfortable and bothersome the experience would be for the other passengers, 2 years seems absolutely fair.

People just don't understand how their actions can affect others. A story like this sends a good message. Now if only they could catch those laser pointer idiots easier!
I agree, the UK courts are a little more on point, at least in this circumstance. It's a good thing the RCMP differed the charges to the UK. They would not have gotten jail time if this was handled in a Canadian Court. That is all but guaranteed.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

youhavecontrol wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:34 am When you imagine the combined cost of diverting an aircraft, dumping fuel, messing up the travel plans of over 100 other people and having to provide a place for them to stay and an alternate flight to their destination, not to mention how uncomfortable and bothersome the experience would be for the other passengers, 2 years seems absolutely fair.

I can understand jail time for disobeying a crew member, but justifying it with financial arguments or inconveniencing fellow pax? Jeesh.... That is an extremely slippery slope. Shall we start putting people in jail if they default on a mortgage?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Hang EM high.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

digits_ wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:00 pm I can understand jail time for disobeying a crew member, but justifying it with financial arguments or inconveniencing fellow pax? Jeesh.... That is an extremely slippery slope. Shall we start putting people in jail if they default on a mortgage?
In another article about it I read that the diversion cost about $30,000 or something like that. It wasn't just an inconvenience. It would have been frustrating as hell and very uncomfortable trying to avoid burning up with rage while your kids have to sit and watch and hear all that went on for several hours. The article also said that one of the men allegedly exposed himself to passengers. I'm impressed that none of the passengers just snapped and started beating the hell out of them.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

You know, it is the airport that's too often responsible.

Sell loads of alcohol to folks before their flight, zero responsibility taken.

Or so it seems

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

youhavecontrol wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:16 pm
digits_ wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:00 pm I can understand jail time for disobeying a crew member, but justifying it with financial arguments or inconveniencing fellow pax? Jeesh.... That is an extremely slippery slope. Shall we start putting people in jail if they default on a mortgage?
In another article about it I read that the diversion cost about $30,000 or something like that. It wasn't just an inconvenience. It would have been frustrating as hell and very uncomfortable trying to avoid burning up with rage while your kids have to sit and watch and hear all that went on for several hours. The article also said that one of the men allegedly exposed himself to passengers. I'm impressed that none of the passengers just snapped and started beating the hell out of them.
If the article is correct, they weren't charged with indecent exposure, so the jail time was "only" for drunk on aircraft and public disorder.

If you are worried about the money, then make them pay back the money. 30k with interest is doable for 5 individuals. That will be quite the fine/punishment as well.

Is several hours of discomfort and -god forbid- children hearing curse words worth putting 5 people in jail for, for 2 years ? To me, that seems a bit excessive.

Now that I read the article again, looks like ignoring air crew instructions wasn't even part of the charge. Weird.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

rookiepilot wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:35 pm You know, it is the airport that's too often responsible.

Sell loads of alcohol to folks before their flight, zero responsibility taken.

Or so it seems
I think it's more a problem in the UK, but doesn't really seem to happen as much in Canada from what I've seen (although I haven't flown on Sunwing yet). Certainly you don't seem to see the lager louts in the airports here in Canada like you'd see in any UK airport or Ryanair flight.

I think in general Canada doesn't have the same Saturday night public drunkenness assholism problem that the UK has. We just have the homeless people, but they're pretty harmless for the most part. I'd feel much safer walking around Victoria late at night than Manchester.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

Just wear a Chelsea sweater. You’ll be made to feel at home. ;)

But in all seriousness, people need to take responsibility for their own actions. If airports banned or restricted liquor sales, people would show up drunk or sneak it through or find some other way to get their kicks.

The gate keepers are the security and gate agents, not businesses just trying to make it with high lease rates, high taxes, employees that have to be able to pass security every day, etc. Maybe we need breathalyzers at the gate?

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:37 pm
The gate keepers are the security and gate agents,
So why are the hooligans even allowed on a flight?

I disagree well with unlimited liquor sales at an airport.

sheephunter
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by sheephunter »

hahaaha, "I'm a $40K / year builder" you can't tell me what to do. Guess at least for 2 years he'll be able to eat.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”