Toronto man survives skydive plunge after parachute tangles

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Woxof38
Rank 4
Rank 4

Toronto man survives skydive plunge after parachute tangles

Post by Woxof38 »

A man described as an "experienced skydiver from Toronto" is lucky to be alive after experiencing problems with both of his parachutes after jumping from a plane 600 metres above the Hamilton airport on Thursday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton ... -1.5166187
---------- ADS -----------

Quinny
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Toronto man survives skydive plunge after parachute tangles

Post by Quinny »

Probably had a malfunction, fought it too long and AAD fired reserve into main. Unfortunately happens more than you think. Seen people fight line twists until impact. Could be a few other things too though. (All of which can be solved by either proper maintenance of gear, proper procedures or both.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Isn't 2000ft a bit low?

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

Isn't 2000ft a bit low?

A fitting name Capt. for your reply ! lol

Quinny
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Quinny »

2000ft has been heard of in Canada (not me of course) :roll: . I have seen demo guys pulling that kind of thing but we did get the jump height from the media so.........

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

I've jumped from under 2000, or two of us did, when we had a student's pilot chute sit up high with the bridle cord ending up jammed in the elevator horn and with the pilot chute dragging behind. Couldn't get up elevator and the best the pilot could do was a controlled descent. We circled once back over the field at Oliver and both me and the jumpmaster bailed one after the other and pulled immediately. Student goes at 2800, so we were probably under 2000 when we exited.

The bridle cord snapped at the canopy attachment and the jumper was fine. The aircraft was a Cessna 170 and the pilot got it back in one piece by adding power to raise the nose on touchdown.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

We had a C180 lose an engine many years ago on climbout and they said the last one jumped below 1000 feet. Aircraft landed safely in a field. All very experienced jumpers going up for a formation(relative work) load.

Jumpers frequently don't like being in aircraft, especially if there is a malfunction of the aircraft. I lost a cylinder in a 182 and was a around 3000' over the airport with first 3 first time jumpers and the jumpmaster. The jumpmaster asked if it was OK to let the students out. I said no and we landed. He admitted later that he didn't want to be in that aircraft.

bodyflyer2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bodyflyer2 »

Jump run was actually at 5000 AGL. (Yeah, the media picked up a number somewhere and everyone ran with it.)

We -- other jumpers there at the time -- think it went something like this: Jumper may have bumped his rig the wrong way on the aircraft during exit and dislodged the main container's closing pin. This premature opening of the main parachute container would still have him in freefall with the canopy in its deployment bag but out above his back. This issue may have led to lines entangling on his camera gear. Between that and the difficulty in seeing what was going on behind him, the main parachute system was not fully jettisoned by the time the reserve parachute was activated. That is a situation no jumper wants to be in. Hence the entanglement of main and reserve parachutes. He hit soft ground (although close to obstacles) and is in hospital. Last I heard, the only broken bone is a cracked vertebra. A very lucky outcome given the amount of nylon supporting him during the fall.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”