(Required) Black hole departure.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: (Required) Black hole departure.

Post by C.W.E. »

Well the term "black hole" is usually used for approaches, not departures.
Not in this discussion it is clearly described as a black hole " departure ".
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

And the correct response is from.....the one from Cpn Crunch.
CpnCrunch wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:09 pm
C.W.E. wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:58 pm As I understand " black hole departure " it means there are no visual situational clues after departure only blackness.

So how can this be a VFR departure?
Taking off VFR with no visual references is a whole different kettle of fish, and arguably isn't legal VFR because you don't have reference to the ground.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

The whole idea about the insidious and dangerous nature of a black hole departure is the fact that it is mostly the VFR pilots or IFR rated pilots flying VFR into an area where there is insufficient visual clues to legally and safely fly with reference to the ground. Most 100 hr wonders should have been taught that they need to evaluate whether that departure over the open body of water, rural unlit area etc Might involve the black hole phenomenon and if it does, don't take the flight VFR ! I feel that ANY night rating must have proficiency to the level to fly by instruments, whether it be black hole, approaches of cloud breaking ( not uncommon at night )

jt8d
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by jt8d »

Black hole effect was more an arrival thing I always thought... having done lots of that kind of flying up north. Unless you have an instrument failure then how is it really a thing on departure?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

jt8d wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:28 pm Black hole effect was more an arrival thing I always thought... having done lots of that kind of flying up north. Unless you have an instrument failure then how is it really a thing on departure?
People not scanning their instruments or....unable to fly on instruments or....aircraft not sufficient equipped with operating instruments.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

There is a phenomeum when you continue to rotate on climb-out, the inner ear fluid movement causes you to think you are in a steepening climb and you nose down too much to compensate. Please elaborate, those who know what i am talkin about

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

There's a difference between VFR and VMC.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

corethatthermal wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:56 am There is a phenomeum when you continue to rotate on climb-out, the inner ear fluid movement causes you to think you are in a steepening climb and you nose down too much to compensate. Please elaborate, those who know what i am talkin about
The phenomenon you are referring to is called "Somatogravic Illusion", it's a vestibular illusion created during high acceleration/deccelerations without clear visual references..such as taking-off into the abyss at night/IFR and climbing initially only to allow the illusion to have you relax the control column and slowly pitch over into CFIT.

Keep the dirty side down.
Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Thanks guys ! Like vertigo, this phenomenon needs to be experienced in conditions where it has the most effect and that is a black hole departure.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

I just found it interesting three similar accidents happened, all somewhat experienced pilots, (certainly one of them, by anyone's standards)

We can get hung up on the terms "black hole" instead...... :mrgreen:

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

While we're on semantics, black hole departure would get physicist all bent out of shape. :mrgreen:

Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

From reading the responses in this thread one thing that maybe is not apparent to the new pilot is that almost all night take offs have - with maybe the exception of the brightest full moon nights or take offs from the brightest of urban centres - a certain degree of “black hole ness”. Or a variety of other factors that may contribute to a less than ideal means of visual orientation after leaving the runway lights behind. Most airports tend to be at least surrounded by a buffer of clear unlit terrain, over which one may not have an immediate clear horizon reference out the window immediately after rotation, and the initial climb away from the runway. A lack of sufficient reference is typical even up to 200’ above the surface.

While the experienced here assume the obvious - the hazards of such a departure can be largely mitigated by treating said departure as an instrument one - that’s not immediately obvious to the neophyte, or the unwary, as they line up at the end of the runway. If I was to stress to anyone who would listen, night take offs are far more hazardous than they appear, and perhaps deserve more attention, especially in training and initial ventures into the dark. I suspect this trap catches more often the somewhat experienced who have become complacent. It’s just another VFR take off, until it isn’t.

In my personal experience, this has caught way more “experienced” pilots than I would like. Be careful out there.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

In case anyone feels they've stumbled on a great untold secret of flying at night, law requires (405.14) night rating training to be given in accordance with the Flight Instructor Guide, and this is all included there:
Take-off
Objective
The student will learn how to take off at night under varied conditions with and without the use of the landing light.

Motivation
Different visual references during the take-off, and the lack of references during the initial climb, impose special demands on the pilot when taking off at night.

Essential Background Knowledge
(...
(4) Explain that instrument references may be required after take-off.
(5) Explain the importance of maintaining a positive rate of climb after take-off.
(6) Explain illusion of linear acceleration (pitch-up illusion) and black hole illusion.
So if you end up with a night rating and not understanding that you may need to use instruments from take-off, then something has gone wrong in training.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”