Reading the forums Could Prevent a Disaster like the 737 Max

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Reading the forums Could Prevent a Disaster like the 737 Max

Post by pelmet »

iflyforpie wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:34 pm Extending the flaps will deactivate MCAS, but it’s not without consequences. Flaps 1 speed is 230 KIAS. What are the implications of extending flaps at speeds beyond that.. like if you’re in a dive with nose down trim? Damage to the flaps or leading edge devices? Aerodynamic effects which might augment the effects of MCAS or otherwise negatively affect aircraft handling? Perhaps if it was recognized as an MCAS failure early in the flight the flaps could be left extended. But all of these must be considered.

Thanks. It is a pleasure to see an intelligent reply. You will notice that I specifically talked about being in a situation that the crews were initially in and I stated to consider not retracting flaps. Based on the two accident both being at liftoff, perhaps that is the most likely time for this to happen. Unlikely to be any harm in maintaining a safe speed with flaps extended at some position and returning for landing with no MCAS input. Then you don't even have to switch off the stab trim.

Just a suggestion and likely not contradicting any Boeing recommendations currently published.
---------- ADS -----------

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

It's funny. I'm not particularly experienced, but I personally know a number of highly experienced pilots, a couple have been mentors to me during my training.

Without exception, every single one is very humble about their own experience and knowledge. They are deeply respected by me and others.

I respond to that form of teaching. Others might prefer to being slammed over the head.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

5x5 wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:43 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:37 am
pelmet wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:01 am
Try passing on some info.
Actually the below thread was awesome for that.

Whole bunch of different pilots passing on their personal scary flights or errors in judgement.
It's interesting not everyone chooses to share. I wonder why?

viewtopic.php?f=54&t=132382
Ridicule and condescension could be reasons why. Possibly people don't share because they don't want to be criticized or attacked, not on the information they're providing, but their own knowledge and experience and even personalities. AvCanada isn't exactly a non-judgemental, non-threatening site.
Not just that, but a pilot probably (hopefully?) only has a handful of "I almost died"-stories. Some of those make it very easy to identify who you are or who you are talking about. Especially if some of those stories pop up in an HR style interview "tell me about a time when...".

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:28 am It's funny. I'm not particularly experienced, but I personally know a number of highly experienced pilots, a couple have been mentors to me during my training.

Without exception, every single one is very humble about their own experience and knowledge. They are deeply respected by me and others.

I respond to that form of teaching. Others might prefer to being slammed over the head.
I agree.

In a way, their experience level is irrelevant. They don't flaunt it or use it as an argument why something is a certain way. However, their experience has often given them the tools to explain something clearly and is valuable that way.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:28 am It's funny. I'm not particularly experienced, but I personally know a number of highly experienced pilots, a couple have been mentors to me during my training.

Different people respond to things in different ways. I personally recommend sticking to what works best for a person and avoiding locations, places, threads, etc where they find that they don't respond well. One should stick with what works best for them.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”