North Star BT67 put down on lake

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

MUSKEG
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: North Star BT67 put down on lake

Post by MUSKEG »

Doesn’t say this was their first flight.
---------- ADS -----------

Spandau
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Spandau »

Might have just shut down the wrong one. Wouldn't be the first time it's been done.

ipilot54
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by ipilot54 »

I was up until about midnight in that general area. Don't have any idea what happened however, if I needed to ditch it would have been a perfect night to do so. The lakes looked like mirrors with no wind and the moon, although not full, was quite bright. In fact, my FO commented "what a beautiful night".

And while you can see the "glow" on the horizon at this time of the year at that time, it is of no help. The moon and clear skies are as it appeared from our our perspective are.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

ipilot54 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 3:18 pm I was up until about midnight in that general area. Don't have any idea what happened however, if I needed to ditch it would have been a perfect night to do so. The lakes looked like mirrors with no wind and the moon, although not full, was quite bright. In fact, my FO commented "what a beautiful night".

And while you can see the "glow" on the horizon at this time of the year at that time, it is of no help. The moon and clear skies are as it appeared from our our perspective are.
If the lakes are mirrored it is actually way harder and worse to do especially if dead sticking it in there, they must have been ex float pilots because most other pilots won’t judge glassy water correctly

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

because most other pilots won’t judge glassy water correctly
You dont "judge" a glassy water landing, you recognize it is glassy and then apply the technique which is basically an instrument approach to touchdown from a minimum safe height above water.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

So why did they end up there?

I'm surprised Cat and Ilya aren't all over this with their typical rhetoric. Maybe because it's a DC3 and DC3 pilots are perfect?

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

goingnowherefast wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:50 am So why did they end up there?

I'm surprised Cat and Ilya aren't all over this with their typical rhetoric. Maybe because it's a DC3 and DC3 pilots are perfect?

Illya is friends with people at the company so won't hold them to the same standard as others.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Are you saying DC3 pilots aren't perfect?

:wink:

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Dry Guy wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:42 am I can't see anyone picking up cargo at 1:00 am. I'd imagine this was a fuel hauler. Maybe it was on fire. A hot pump and a leaky hose or something. I'd be wanting to get out of a burning fuel plane asap with tanks full of fuel vapors. Not sure if I'd ditch it or not.
You wouldn't ditch a burning airplane?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

telex wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:52 pm
pelmet wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:43 pm There can be other reasons for a dual engine failure. Just ask Sully.
Quartering tailwind with decreasing pressure?
Whatever happened to that guy?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

Dry Guy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:23 am

Illya is friends with people at the company so won't hold them to the same standard as others.
Anyone know who the crew was?

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Maybe it's because we have no idea why it ended up there.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Just another canuck »

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
So throw off the bowlines.
Sail away from the safe harbor.
Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover.
Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

Just another canuck wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:33 pm Keep in mind could be a rumour only but I heard the PM pulled the condition levers instead of the props. Which when you think about it, is the most reasonable scenario I can think of. Better chance of hitting lotto max on a weekly basis than having true dual engine failures. Fuel contamination seems unlikely to me cause they already flew a leg. That thing will fly just fine on one so... And I'd really like to know what happened to the one on the ice too.
If that's the case, that is a pretty significant deviation. And even if it was the PM, the PF still takes blame since everything is supposed to be confirmed. Unless, the PM action-ed something without confirmation which is even worse.

Every prop plane I've flown it has been drilled into me to **take your time** to a point, when you run a drill. The aircraft was reported empty, correct? Even with one engine un feathered the Basler is a powerful bird. Why rush? It will fly.

The same thing happened to the ATR in China. Crews getting too worked up and cracking under the pressure of an emergency and not following SOP.

Honestly, I would rather hear that it was mechanical because if it was another crew error it really doesn't bode well for the reputation of "Canadian Pilots" being some of the best in the world. Many issues in the past few years. Makes you wonder if our training in Canada is really as good as we think it is.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did do.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Just another canuck wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:00 pm I meant there was no failure. He went to pull the props back after takeoff and pulled the condition levers by mistake and shut the whole thing down inadvertently.
If that happened and you put the condition levers back in the normal position, would the engines fire up again? If so, how long would it take?

Warden
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Warden »

Just another canuck wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:00 pm I meant there was no failure. He went to pull the props back after takeoff and pulled the condition levers by mistake and shut the whole thing down inadvertently.
Oh wow, if that's the case... I don't know what to say.

Just another canuck
Rank 10
Rank 10

Last edited by Just another canuck on Sat Feb 19, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Just another canuck wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 pm
digits_ wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:10 pm
If that happened and you put the condition levers back in the normal position, would the engines fire up again? If so, how long would it take?
If you were really fast, it might be okay. You could also over temp everything and melt the whole damn thing. I know of three occasions when it happened. Twice in a Caravan and once in a PC12. They both have safety mechanisms now which make it more difficult to pull to cut off. I can't remember if the Basler has anything or not. It's been awhile.
Interesting...
Just another canuck wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:25 pm
Warden wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:12 pm
Just another canuck wrote: I meant there was no failure. He went to pull the props back after takeoff and pulled the condition levers by mistake and shut the whole thing down inadvertently.
Oh wow, if that's the case... I don't know what to say.
Yeah. No kidding. Me neither.
Fatigue? Do you know if the crew had been flying the whole day? It was the middle of the night...

Illya Kuryakin
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Illya Kuryakin »

WOW
The hot air. Some day I'll just land one in a swamp, then tune here to learn how I did.
Illya

Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”