Kelowna icon a5

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Alav
Rank 2
Rank 2

Kelowna icon a5

Post by Alav »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5188553

At least the landing gear being extended, whilst upside down in the water reduces the list of reasons.

Registration says invalid on faa search however?
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Alav on Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Kelowna

Post by Heliian »

Alav wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:23 am https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5188553

At least the landing gear being extended, whilst upside down in the water reduces the list of reasons.

Registration says invalid on faa search however?
Shows Valid now, it's actually registered to a third party registration provider so non u.s. citizens can own n reg aircraft.

Gear up on water, down for land. Such a simple miss.

Alav
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Alav »

So it was an icon a5...

Another one bites the dust...

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Land a privately operated seaplane in the wrong configuration and the TSB investigates. Land a DC3 in (or on) a lake and not even a boo :roll:

Alav
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Alav »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:52 am Land a privately operated seaplane in the wrong configuration and the TSB investigates. Land a DC3 in (or on) a lake and not even a boo :roll:
Given icons interesting marketing choices, the exemption to allow an additional 250lbs of weight and still qualify as LSA. And the number of hull losses to date - including one claiming the chief test pilot...

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Land a privately operated seaplane in the wrong configuration and the TSB investigates. Land a DC3 in (or on) a lake and not even a boo :roll:
From my experience, the TSB will have little interest in this. I imagine that they are considering the DC-3 event with a lot more interest...

Okay, yeah, Alav does make a good point.... That said, a friend and his student were fatal, and it was the same TSB investigator who interviewed my after my right seat event. Not only was the accident I was involved it not the subject of a TSB report, even the two fatal accident was not reported. The TSB rationale was that there was nothing to be learned from either event. Sadly, I have to agree with that conclusion. 'Same for this one...

... Though Icons can do anything can't they?

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 6:52 am Land a privately operated seaplane in the wrong configuration and the TSB investigates. Land a DC3 in (or on) a lake and not even a boo :roll:
One's in Kelowna the other is in Fort Hope.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Kelowna icon a5

Post by jakeandelwood »

Icon's website is like they are selling cars. First thing they mention is the plane has a "control stick just like a fighter jet" :roll:

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Icon's website is like they are selling cars. First thing they mention is the plane has a "control stick just like a fighter jet" :roll:
Is there something wrong with a control stick?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

jakeandelwood wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:52 am Icon's website is like they are selling cars. First thing they mention is the plane has a "control stick just like a fighter jet" :roll:
The funny thing is you could buy an actual (old though) fighter jet for less than an icon

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

C.W.E. wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:57 am
I believe the point of his post wasn’t to question the choice of a stick over a yoke setup but rather to point out that they are selling them as being a sexy and high performance jet fighter like aircraft in which you will look cool for your Audi A10 driving, jetski riding friends.

They could have said “Like a Piper Cub” or “Like and Air Tractor”, but that would have lost them half their target market.

Alav
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Alav »

Check the halladay crash video.

Same year icon lost its chief test pilot and another employee flying at low level over water by heading up the wrong valley into rising terrain...

Then see the marketing videos.

See a problem?

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Nothing at all, just weird they compare it to fighter jet, look you can be just like maverick in a fighter jet.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

GyvAir wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:53 pm
I believe the point of his post wasn’t to question the choice of a stick over a yoke setup but rather to point out that they are selling them as being a sexy and high performance jet fighter like aircraft in which you will look cool for your Audi A10 driving, jetski riding friends.

They could have said “Like a Piper Cub” or “Like and Air Tractor”, but that would have lost them half their target market.
You said exactly what I was thinking

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

(Grabs bowl of popcorn)

(opens AvCanada)

"Oh, drat, not reruns again!"

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

Why are there pilots that still do not retract the wheel gear on an amphibious airplane after takeoff?!

You are more likely to survive an off airport forced approach with the wheels UP in a bog. Landing or forced approach on the water with the gear up will be an non event. Landing on the water with the gear down is a potentially fatal mistake.

Treat an amphibian like any other retractable gear aircraft, GEAR UP after takoff!

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Why are there pilots that still do not retract the wheel gear on an amphibious airplane after takeoff?!
Because an amphibian operates off of both land and water and rote habits of retracting the gear is just plain dumb if you have just taken off from the water.

The safest way for confirming gear position is to identify the surface you are about to land on and confirm the gear is in the proper position for the surface you are about to land on.

My pre-landing check is.

" Where am I landing and where is my gear? "

For example, " I am landing on the water....confirm gear up. "

That has worked for me since 1954 when I started flying amphibians.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

I agree about departures from the water ., but I do not think you would get off the water with the gear down! :smt040 I am talking about flying cross county in an amphib with the wheel gear down. Now that is "Dumb"!

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:06 am
Because an amphibian operates off of both land and water and rote habits of retracting the gear is just plain dumb if you have just taken off from the water.

The safest way for confirming gear position is to identify the surface you are about to land on and confirm the gear is in the proper position for the surface you are about to land on.

My pre-landing check is.

" Where am I landing and where is my gear? "

For example, " I am landing on the water....confirm gear up. "

That has worked for me since 1954 when I started flying amphibians.
I completely agree with your pre-landing check. Professional and done religiously will prevent a potentially fatal mistake.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

I am talking about flying cross county in an amphib with the wheel gear down. Now that is "Dumb"!
Yes it sure is....but it also can be the Darwin Principal in action.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”