Does no-one wear seatbelts?

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Does no-one wear seatbelts?

Post by FlyGy »

30 taken to hospital after Air Canada flight hits turbulence and diverts to Hawaii.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/air-cana ... -1.5208458
---------- ADS -----------

oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Does no-one wear seatbelts?

Post by oldtimer »

If I were on that plane (aeroplane) and the pilots did the dippsy doodles like they did and were playing tricks like that and drove the plane through those air pockets and dropped thousands of feet like they did, I would make sure the mechanics checked the tin all around the plane. I would have thought I was going to die and there would be nobody back home to take the crop off the fields and put the grain in the bins. :smt040 :smt040 :lol: :lol: :roll:

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
oldtimer
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by oldtimer »

Shit happens.

The average pilot, despite the somewhat swaggering exterior, is very much capable of such feelings as love, affection, intimacy and caring.
These feelings just don't involve anyone else.
Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

I read elsewhere that most of the injured were in business class. If that's true, I'm willing to bet that they were using the lay flat bed without a seat belt.

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

I'm surprised no one has suggested climate change as the reason for the CAT.

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

Meatservo
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Meatservo »

Well, I gotta admit: I usually don't bother to take off my seatbelt if I'm staying in my seat, but once I do take it off, I am not particularly likely to put it back on until the sign tells me to. I probably should, obviously, but I'm not going to make fun of people who don't do it either.

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

I keep it on whenever seated, or lying down. ;)

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

Siddley Hawker wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:58 pm I'm surprised no one has suggested climate change as the reason for the CAT.
:lol: if that suggestion gets to the media it'll spread like wildfire

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Siddley Hawker wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:58 pm I'm surprised no one has suggested climate change as the reason for the CAT.
An overall change in climate extremes would have implications aloft, wouldn't you say?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:51 pm I read elsewhere that most of the injured were in business class. If that's true, I'm willing to bet that they were using the lay flat bed without a seat belt.
Not me when I'm there. Stays on.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

The simple solution to this situation is a belton tax. Getting hurt should not be free.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

rookiepilot wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:18 am
Capt. Underpants wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:51 pm I read elsewhere that most of the injured were in business class. If that's true, I'm willing to bet that they were using the lay flat bed without a seat belt.
Not me when I'm there. Stays on.
I do wonder about those lie flat seat belts.
You are lying down with a single belt around your waist. If there is severe turbulence, where people hit the ceiling, does your body jack-knife(if sleeping on your back). Maybe not. I don’t know. But if so, in some crew rest areas, the ceiling is very low and your head would bang against the ceiling.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

I bet 99.99% of those injured passengers would never dream of back out of their driveways driving to wherever without making sure their(and whoever else) seatbelts are on and secure. Yet in an aircraft moving through the air at great speed, the thought of being secure escapes them. I have sympathy for AC because they are now subject to frivolous lawsuits.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

trey kule wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:51 pm The simple solution to this situation is a belton tax. Getting hurt should not be free.
"Its like a stupid tax Ricky, the stupider you are the more you pay"

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

I bet 99.99% of those injured passengers would never dream of back out of their driveways driving to wherever without making sure their(and whoever else) seat belts are on and secure. Yet in an aircraft moving through the air at great speed, the thought of being secure escapes them. I have sympathy for AC because they are now subject to frivolous lawsuits.
The reason many wear belts in cars is the fine! The other reason is the much higher chance of an accident , caused by another vehicle, and the pictures and evidence of car wrecks where belts do save lives. Most large plane crashes look like a smoking hole where a belt would not help in any way to save lives!

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

corethatthermal wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:58 am
I bet 99.99% of those injured passengers would never dream of back out of their driveways driving to wherever without making sure their(and whoever else) seat belts are on and secure. Yet in an aircraft moving through the air at great speed, the thought of being secure escapes them. I have sympathy for AC because they are now subject to frivolous lawsuits.
The reason many wear belts in cars is the fine! The other reason is the much higher chance of an accident , caused by another vehicle, and the pictures and evidence of car wrecks where belts do save lives. Most large plane crashes look like a smoking hole where a belt would not help in any way to save lives!
So you are saying it’s the threat of a fine in lieu of getting your head smacked into a windshield in a minor survivable collision is the reason people buckle up in their car. Not to mention parents who have proper car seats and restraints for their infants/toddlers, however I digress.
Yes everyone is aware the implications of a smoking hole in the ground, honestly we are. At altitude, take off and landing your seatbelt keeps your head from meeting the overhead storage bin due unforeseen turbulence. That’s my point.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

So you are saying it’s the threat of a fine in lieu of getting your head smacked into a windshield in a minor survivable collision is the reason people buckle up in their car.
If a person is going 1 km in a town and is going slower than a camels fart, then maybe they would rather not buckle up, but know that a copper lies in wait around the next corner ( In Ontario at least lol ) to nab them!

Siddley Hawker
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Siddley Hawker »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:16 am
An overall change in climate extremes would have implications aloft, wouldn't you say?
Oh I say. I also say these incidents will become more frequent simply because of the sheer increase in air traffic.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

Siddley Hawker wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:41 pm
CL-Skadoo! wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:16 am
Oh I say. I also say these incidents will become more frequent simply because of the sheer increase
Siddley Hawker wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:41 pm
Oh I say. I also say these incidents will become more frequent simply because of the sheer increase in air traffic.
Of course that is true. No denying that.

Over my 25 years of flying I am seeing my personal experience with rough air steadily increasing. Winds aloft are generally stronger than in the past, storms are reaching higher and the hurricanes I have evacuated from have become much larger. I’ve seen a lot of changes up there! Couple that with more traffic and so many passengers that care more about their phones than their own well-being; there’s more than one ingredient to bake this cake.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”