Another beaver crash. Labrador

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Another beaver crash. Labrador

Post by Lost Lake »

Just read another beaver with 7 on board crashed in northern Labrador. That's 3 in just the last week. So sad. Real question is why.
---------- ADS -----------

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Another beaver crash. Labrador

Post by cncpc »

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Well cbc is running the standard " rickety old airplane story" https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfound ... -1.5219517
I worked with a company that ran a PC6, bloody thing was always in the shop, they replaced it with a turbo beaver. Something to be said of old style engineering. It has to be this strong, but lets add a bit for good measure. Engineering now is about making it JUST STRONG ENOUGH. Now a 70 year old radial, though a wonderful design is getting uneconomic to maintain, the airframes will outlast me" I figure i have about 35 years left"

TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

rigpiggy wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:45 am Well cbc is running the standard " rickety old airplane story" https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfound ... -1.5219517
I worked with a company that ran a PC6, bloody thing was always in the shop, they replaced it with a turbo beaver. Something to be said of old style engineering. It has to be this strong, but lets add a bit for good measure. Engineering now is about making it JUST STRONG ENOUGH. Now a 70 year old radial, though a wonderful design is getting uneconomic to maintain, the airframes will outlast me" I figure i have about 35 years left"
That is a poor argument...the Porter’s first flight was 1959 and is 60 years old. Not a huge difference from a Beaver.

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I disagree, the beaver flew in what 48? 11 years and a different design philosophy. The porter on floats always being fixed, the beaver progressive inspections almost never down, the caravan a higher takeoff speed, beats the snot out itself in rough water. Even though viking is coming out with more SL's it will take a beating. About the only thing close is thequest kodiak

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-FJKI, a DHC-2 Beaver aircraft on floats operated by Air Saguenay, had departed Crossroads
Lake, NL for a day trip to Mistastin Lake, NL, for a fishing excursion with the pilot and 6 passengers
on board. When the aircraft did not return in the evening, JRCC was contacted. SAR was
dispatched and the aircraft was found submerged in the Mistastin Lake the following morning.
Three deceased occupants were recovered. The RCMP and military carried out a search for the
remaining occupants and a fourth deceased passenger was recovered. The pilot and the remaining
2 passengers are still missing.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”