C150 down by Jasper 1 fatality, 1 injured

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

C150 down by Jasper 1 fatality, 1 injured

Post by rigpiggy »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton ... -1.5219705
Condolences to family, best wishes on recovery
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: C150 down by Jasper 1 fatality, 1 injured

Post by pelmet »

C-GCEA, a Cessna 150J, was on a VFR flight itinerary from the Jasper Airport (CYJA) to Hinton,
AB with one pilot and one passenger on board. Shortly after take-off the aircraft entered a
departure stall and spin to the left. The aircraft impacted the Athabasca River approximately 0.5
nm from the departure end of the runway. The pilot sustained serious injuries and the passenger
was fatally injured. The 121.5 Mhz ELT activated. Witnesses on Highway 16 were able to attend to
both occupants within minutes of the accident.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Sounds like another stall/spin scenario due to improper flight technique....

http://www.bst-tsb.gc.ca/eng/enquetes-i ... W0095.html

RatherBeFlying
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RatherBeFlying »

Just before the loss of control, the GPS (global positioning system) recorded a reduction in ground speed from 83 mph to 64 mph and a course change approximately 30 degrees to the left of the runway track. During the reduction in airspeed, the altitude remained constant at about 150 feet above ground level for almost 5 seconds before the aircraft departed controlled flight and entered the aerodynamic stall and left-hand spin.
Unstated in the TSB report is the interval of the 19 mph groundspeed decrease. Possibilities include slowly increasing pitch until spin onset (possibly to counter sink in a performance challenged aircraft in the conditions) or a sudden windshear. However a windshear decreasing groundspeed suggests increased headwind.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Wow, by the looks of the wreckage, its a wonder anybody was able to survive that, I wonder if they mistook the river for a runway? Is this a new sign of how bad newer pilots have become :lol:

Whats up with all the advertising anyway?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Mick G wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:36 pm
I wonder if they mistook the river for a runway? Is this a new sign of how bad newer pilots have become :lol:

You're really amusing. Not.

Do you actually read anything before you comment, or is that a lost skill?

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

pelmet wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:46 am Sounds like another stall/spin scenario due to improper flight technique....

Wow, 100 LL hasn’t even leached into the ground and here you are postulating once again. Don’t you have a “ready room” to go back and draft your next sensational thread title on some poor sod? All this under the guise of aviation safety?!?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 10:42 pm
pelmet wrote: Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:46 am Sounds like another stall/spin scenario due to improper flight technique....

Wow, 100 LL hasn’t even leached into the ground and here you are postulating once again. Don’t you have a “ready room” to go back and draft your next sensational thread title on some poor sod? All this under the guise of aviation safety?!?
Accident happened almost 5 months ago actually, and we now have much more information from the TSB, so your statement, as usual, is wrong. No surprise about that of course, but I would suggest that the poor sod is the dead passenger. However, to each his own.

As for the aircraft, no engine malfunction identified and good flight controls, light winds, high density altitude, probably close to max takeoff weight, in a turn.

Class 5 investigation according to the TSB which in part says.....

"A class 5 occurrence has little likelihood of identifying new safety lessons that will advance transportation safety."

I think most can figure out why. PM me if you need further assistance.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”