Super hornet down in Star wars canyon

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Super hornet down in Star wars canyon

Post by boeingboy »

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/us ... li=AAggFp5
The injured tourists told the news station they were taking photos of the sweeping landscape when the jet screamed into view and suddenly slammed into the canyon wall.

A jet that was following the downed craft pulled up and began circling, Cassell said. He didn't see any parachute.
His father drove up to the area after the crash and saw a large black scorch mark and shattered parts of the jet scattered throughout the area between the parking lot and lookout, Cassell said. A nose cone from the jet was the size of a bowling ball and the rest of the debris was no larger than a ball cap.
Doesn't sound like he made it out. RIP to the pilot.

I'm actually surprised this doesn't happen more often...even though I'm sure the route is familiar with everyone and the crews must be thoroughly briefed. I have always been amazed at the pics and videos that these aviation buffs can get and that people are allowed that close both in California and in the UK. Looks like so much fun for the pilots that it should be illegal. Kinda like stuff reserved for movies.

Just wondering if Auxbat or any other Canadian pilots have run that canyon?
---------- ADS -----------

AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Super hornet down in Star wars canyon

Post by AuxBatOn »

I have, in the Hornet, Viper and Strike Eagle. No worse than any other low altitude training we do (200’ AGL).
---------- ADS -----------

Going for the deck at corner

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”