Seaplane down with seven on board.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ruddersup?
Rank 4
Rank 4

Seaplane down with seven on board.

Post by ruddersup? »

Heard seaplane down on Upper Raft Lake (Muskoka region) with seven on board, one dead others rushed to hospital in Toronto.
That's all I know. Wondering if it's a Caravan?
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Seaplane down with seven on board.

Post by Heliian »

https://globalnews.ca/news/5729524/fata ... raft-lake/

1 deceased, 6 survivors.

It has been a tragic year for small planes.

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Caravan or Kodiak, with that many people on board.

Wasn’t one of ours, but RIP to the victim.

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

Heliian wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:37 am https://globalnews.ca/news/5729524/fata ... raft-lake/

1 deceased, 6 survivors.

A coworker identified the victim as Jeff Mavor.
The Transport Canada Registry has this man owning a C-185 & two C-172's.....surely none of these was the aircraft involved in the accident??

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

I am saddened to hear Jeff was involved. I worked alongside him as an AME before he bought OAL. A good man indeed !

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

golden hawk wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:06 pm
Heliian wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:37 am https://globalnews.ca/news/5729524/fata ... raft-lake/

1 deceased, 6 survivors.

A coworker identified the victim as Jeff Mavor.
The Transport Canada Registry has this man owning a C-185 & two C-172's.....surely none of these was the aircraft involved in the accident??
He owned a numbered company as well. The largest type in the fleet being a Beaver.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

FishermanIvan wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:30 am Caravan or Kodiak, with that many people on board.
Funny to hear city folk assume these types nowadays instead of the Beav.

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Jeff was a fine person, and he and Kathy have been my friends for many years. He was there to help me a couple of years ago, when my student and I had a bad day. I am proud to have have donated to the go fund me for Kathy and the kids. I hope others will too. Aviation is a small community, we must take care of each other.....

https://www.gofundme.com/hero-dad-amp-h ... ane-crash/

FishermanIvan
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FishermanIvan »

Victory wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:58 am
FishermanIvan wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:30 am Caravan or Kodiak, with that many people on board.
Funny to hear city folk assume these types nowadays instead of the Beav.
I just don’t hear a lot of Beavers ripping around the Muskokas.

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

it has been a brutal year for seaplanes. Fly safe folks,.... condolences.

bald seagull
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bald seagull »

Transportation Safety Board of Canada
Daily Notification Log
MODE: AIR
HO Review Date: 2019/08/08
This information is preliminary and subject to change. The information given for some occurrence may not have been verified by the TSB.
Therefore, caution should be used when using this information.

------------------------ Occurrence 1 ------------------------
Occurrence No.: A19O0103 Occurrence Type: ACCIDENT
Class: BEING
ASSESSED
Reportable Type:
Date: 2019-08-04 Time: 13:10:00 EDT
Region of
Responsibility:
ONTARIO
Location: 48.00 Nautical miles N From CNV6 - LAKE ST JOHN - ORILLIA
Ground Injuries: Fatal: 0 Minor: 0
Serious: 0 Unknown: 0
---------- Aircraft 1 ----------
Manufacturer: CESSNA Operator Type: PRIVATE
Model: 185 E CARS Sub Part: RECREATIONAL AVIATION
Injuries: Fatal: 1 Minor: 6
Serious: 0 None: 0
Unknown: 0
Occurrence Summary:
C-GBUI, a private Cessna 185 E floatplane, was operating a flight from Orillia airport (CNV6) to
Upper Raft Lake, approximately 48 nm north of CNV6 with the pilot and six passengers on board.
During the landing the aircraft contacted the water, then flipped over, coming to rest in an inverted
position. The passengers were able to egress the aircraft, the pilot was fatally injured. The
passengers sustained minor injuries; the damage to the aircraft is unknown presently. It was
reported that an ELT was on board.

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

bald seagull wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:02 am
C-GBUI, a private Cessna 185 E floatplane, was operating a flight from Orillia airport (CNV6) to
Upper Raft Lake, approximately 48 nm north of CNV6 with the pilot and six passengers on board.
https://www.muskokaregion.com/news-stor ... fe-5-kids/

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

kids or not...7 people in a 185?? Am I reading that right?

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

If you had belts, 3 could go in the far back seat, making 7 total

Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

I don't have any first hand knowledge on this particular aircraft, but there is an STC for a third row seating in the 180/185 similar to a 206. If one of the kids was under 2, it would be legal. Whether the weight and balance could be made to work is another question, especially on floats.

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
TailwheelPilot
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TailwheelPilot »

I have not flown lots of 185s but all of the POHs I have seen (late models) had the third row of seating in the W&B section. I never saw mention of belts for more than two people, the seat belt attach points were always by the walls and on centerline. I used the third row on occasion flying one plane and another had the third row seat sitting in a corner but it was rarely or never used.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

If i remember correctly, A/C like the PA-12 had a rear seat belt (1) for 2 passengers. ( At least, i recall putting 2 pax in that rear seat) I have likely belted 3 little kids on the aft seat in a 185 with 2 belts before while flying off the reserves. There is LEGAl there is SAFE and then there is STUPID !
I had a beautiful flight from the Abbotsford airshow this evening, found a hole in the clouds near Hope and went topside, Approached, with a line of storms just south-southwest ( and heading southward) and landed as per the Notam. How many rules did I break ? Was I safe?

In this order, Is it safe? Is it legal? is it stupid ( or looks stupid or unsafe even) should be the priority when considering going beyond the norm. At the airshow, The snowbirds were flirting with minimums WRT cloud clearance ( Do they have a waiver? That is, can they fly through a cloud in the course of their routine? ) But were they safe? Yes! Was there an appearance of an unsafe activity? NO !

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repo ... o0103.html

At approximately 1225Footnote1 on 04 August 2019, a privately owned and operated amphibious Cessna A185E aircraft (registration C-GBUI, serial number 185-1320) departed for a daytime visual flight rules cross-country flight from Runway 30, a hard surface runway at the Orillia Rama Regional Airport (CNJ4), Ontario. The pilot, 6 family members, and a dog were on board the aircraft bound for a cabin located on the west shore of Upper Raft Lake, Ontario, approximately 48 nautical miles north of CNJ4. The pilot had originally planned to make 2 separate flights; however, because of a previously planned family engagement, he decided to fly a single flight in order to save time.

The cruise portion of the 34-minute flight was flown at an altitude of approximately 2200 feet above sea level. At 1259, the aircraft touched down on the water of Upper Raft Lake with the wheels in the down position and flipped over, coming to rest in an inverted position. The passengers sustained minor injuries from the impact and managed to egress from the right side of the aircraft. The pilot, however, did not egress the aircraft and subsequently drowned. The dog also drowned. The aircraft was equipped with an emergency locator transmitter which activated, but no signal was received.

The passengers, 1 adult and 5 children, climbed onto the aircraft’s floats. They paddled the aircraft to the east shore, tied it to a rock, and waited on shore for assistance. The family was unable to call for assistance because their mobile telephones were in the aircraft. They spent the night on the shore near the aircraft. At approximately 0900 the following morning, another family member informed a seaplane operator at CNJ4 that the aircraft had not yet returned. The operator dispatched an aircraft and the seaplane was located at approximately 1000 in Upper Raft Lake. Subsequently, the pilot landed to assist the survivors.

The flight information centre in London, Ontario, and the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre in Trenton, Ontario, were then notified. Shortly after, the Joint Rescue Coordination Centre dispatched 2 aircraft to the site. The survivors were airlifted to hospital.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Reading that report I’m actually amazed that only the pilot and a poor innocent dog lost their lives.

I wonder if the lack of seatbelts in this case actually helped the children egress the aircraft.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”