Helicopter down north east of Orillia

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Helicopter down north east of Orillia

Post by PilotDAR »

http://www.bayshorebroadcasting.ca/news ... sID=111353

This pilot did a good job of a bad situation. I was called to fly a search for an "airplane down", and given a lat/long by dispatch. When I found the crashed helicopter, right where I was told to look, an occupant at the site gave me a good wave, and then lit a signal fire which he'd obviously prepared in advance. While monitoring 126.7, I heard an SAR helicopter on the way from Trenton, so I briefed him, and lead him into the site, while orbiting high. The helicopter which had crashed appeared to have autorotated into a good choice of a spot, and there were other suitable landing areas very close, one of which Trenton used. SAR techs were easily able to walk to the site. Otherwise ground access would have been really difficult, and probably not before sunset.

I don't know any details of the event of the crash, but the pilot obviously did a lot of things right in a bad situation. I suspected that someone had been injured, as the SAR helicopter flew right over my house after I had landed back at home. I presume he was on his way to Toronto, rather than home to Trenton.

But it all reminds me that we must be prepared when flying over remote areas, even just north east of Orillia 20 miles, it's rough out there. People think of it as "cottage" country, but if you're well off a road, it's remote. Help will come, but it'll be a search over/in rough terrain, rather than drive up to your 911 address! So make yourself easy to find, which this pilot did, and be prepared to spend a night if you can't be rescues as quickly as you'd hope.
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Helicopter down north east of Orillia

Post by Heliian »

Report said 1 serious 2 minor injuries. I wish all a speedy recovery.

One of my time fillers while flying over the bush is to look for holes where an auto can be performed in case the stove quits. It was an old training mantra that you should always be looking as it wasn't a case of if, but when you experience an engine failure.

Any more info on type?

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

It was a local Bell 47J

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

PilotDAR wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:13 am It was a local Bell 47J
Thanks for giving back like you do DAR. Comforting to know there's people like you out there when our worst days come looking for us.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Yes - thank you for giving back to aviation! I joined CASARA right after I had a forced landing. You never know it could be me they are looking for next.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”