Snowbird 5 Ejected in Atlanta

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Snowbird 5 Ejected in Atlanta

Post by Lotro »

From Twitter at 13OCT1336 EST:
@CFSNowbirds Snowbird 5, Capt Kevin Domon-Grenier was forced to eject from his aircraft shiortly before our performance in Atlanta this afternoon. Capt Domon-Grenier made it safely to the ground and is okay. The aircraft fell in an unpopulated area and no one was injured. It is too early to speculate on the cause of the incident. We are thankful Kevin and the public are unhurt
Glad he's safe. I bet that happens so fast.
---------- ADS -----------

DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Snowbird 5 Ejected in Atlanta

Post by DCL415 »

Im glad he is safe. Now I can't wait to see what happened.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

Always glad to hear that no one was seriously hurt.
Like most, I'll be very curious to hear what the cause was.
I guess if the stove quits in a Tutor your options are few. (Not that I'm saying that's what happened).
I'm also curious how big the pool of Tutors is that the Snowbirds have to pull from.

FlyGy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by FlyGy »

DH82EH wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:37 pm I'm also curious how big the pool of Tutors is that the Snowbirds have to pull from.
Did you try Google?

Although the CL-41 Tutor has been retired from active training, 22 Tutors continue to fly with the Canadian Forces Snowbirds and the Aerospace Engineering Test Establishment at CFB Cold Lake. A number of airframes are held in reserve for future deployment as replacement Snowbird aircraft.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

In my opinion the snow birds are out dated and the equipement is boring and outdated as well. Either shut them down or update them. They seem to have taken on this mystical Canadian thing like Tim Hortons. How many social media generation people actually know who Tim Horton was.

A successful ejection is the only plus along with removing one more outdated airframe. Shut the down before another accident.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

valleyboy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:06 am In my opinion the snow birds are out dated and the equipement is boring and outdated as well. Either shut them down or update them. They seem to have taken on this mystical Canadian thing like Tim Hortons. How many social media generation people actually know who Tim Horton was.
I like 'em. Nice to see these old things still flying(sort of like DC-3's and their pilots :wink:). I suppose they could replace them with Hawks but then we would be the same aircraft as the Brits(and probably more expensive). But please...….not with turboprops. I saw the Australian team do a performance once with their truboprops.....boring.

Beefitarian
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Beefitarian »

I hope the pilot is doing well.
They seem to have taken on this mystical Canadian thing like Tim Hortons.
Bought up by a foreign investment group?

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

valleyboy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:06 am In my opinion the snow birds are out dated and the equipement is boring and outdated as well. Either shut them down or update them. They seem to have taken on this mystical Canadian thing like Tim Hortons. How many social media generation people actually know who Tim Horton was.

A successful ejection is the only plus along with removing one more outdated airframe. Shut the down before another accident.
I'd have to respectfully disagree. While the Tutor breaks no records for performance, that's not the point. The Tutor is a Canadian designed and built, extremely successful aircraft that has a long and prestigious history in training and air demonstration. Those that have flown it unanimously agree, it's an absolute pleasure to fly with nothing else matching it's handling. In many ways the Tutor is very well suited to a show because it flies relatively slow and has a small turn radius, keeping the planes mostly in the showbox rather than 10 miles away setting up for the next pass. They couldn't fly some of their signature manoeuvres with a faster plane with different turn performance. There are things the Thunderbirds can't do that the snowbirds can that make for a great performance.

It's old, but there are many spares in Mountain View and they have relatively low hours. By comparison, the Harvard 2 that replaced the Tutors around 2000 as trainers have about 50% more hours and cycles. There's no plan to replace the Tutor, it'll probably keep flying for another 10 years or more if possible. When they're finally done, I would seriously doubt they'll be replaced. It's hard enough to get a SAR aircraft bought inside of 20 years. No government will sign a $ contract for more demo planes. Enjoy the Snowbirds while you still can.

431 Sqn has a long history and is a prized and time honoured part of Canadiana that's an immense source of pride for many Canadians. The Sqn puts on a display of near perfect teamwork and seamless coordination, exhibits the highest level of professionalism, is an invaluable inspiration for youth (including notably, young women aviators) and is a demonstration of some of the most dedicated and focussed aviators in the Air Force and the country portraying extreme levels of skill, knowledge and talent. Very few Air Force pilots even make the tryouts, fewer are accepted on the team and fewer still complete the training.

Ask a Blue Angel or Thunderbird pilot about 431 Sqn's show, they'll tell you its a damn thing of beauty, graceful, incredibly difficult, skilled, and very well flown. There's a respect for the flying amongst fellow air display pilots because it's really, very good - and without any stability augmented flight controls or massive excess thrust. It's pure stick and rudder, "old time hockey" of flying. It's a graceful ballet that always makes me proud. As a spectator I find the Snowbirds show more entertaining and moving than the angels or the tbirds. Having done a little formation myself, I'm even more in awe, appreciating how hard what they do is.

There's a lot of division in Canada, a lot of differences being argued about. 431 Sqn is A Canadian institution that we can all celebrate and find some unifying pride and identity in. Their equipment might be old, but few planes can do what it does. Neither the Snowbirds, their equipment, nor what they represent in the Canadian Forces is boring.

Gannet167
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Gannet167 »

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Gannet167 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:18 pm

I'd have to respectfully disagree. While the Tutor breaks no records for performance, that's not the point. The Tutor is a Canadian designed and built, extremely successful aircraft that has a long and prestigious history in training and air demonstration. Those that have flown it unanimously agree, it's an absolute pleasure to fly with nothing else matching it's handling. In many ways the Tutor is very well suited to a show because it flies relatively slow and has a small turn radius, keeping the planes mostly in the showbox rather than 10 miles away setting up for the next pass. They couldn't fly some of their signature manoeuvres with a faster plane with different turn performance. There are things the Thunderbirds can't do that the snowbirds can that make for a great performance.

It's old, but there are many spares in Mountain View and they have relatively low hours. By comparison, the Harvard 2 that replaced the Tutors around 2000 as trainers have about 50% more hours and cycles. There's no plan to replace the Tutor, it'll probably keep flying for another 10 years or more if possible. When they're finally done, I would seriously doubt they'll be replaced. It's hard enough to get a SAR aircraft bought inside of 20 years. No government will sign a $ contract for more demo planes. Enjoy the Snowbirds while you still can.

431 Sqn has a long history and is a prized and time honoured part of Canadiana that's an immense source of pride for many Canadians. The Sqn puts on a display of near perfect teamwork and seamless coordination, exhibits the highest level of professionalism, is an invaluable inspiration for youth (including notably, young women aviators) and is a demonstration of some of the most dedicated and focussed aviators in the Air Force and the country portraying extreme levels of skill, knowledge and talent. Very few Air Force pilots even make the tryouts, fewer are accepted on the team and fewer still complete the training.

Ask a Blue Angel or Thunderbird pilot about 431 Sqn's show, they'll tell you its a damn thing of beauty, graceful, incredibly difficult, skilled, and very well flown. There's a respect for the flying amongst fellow air display pilots because it's really, very good - and without any stability augmented flight controls or massive excess thrust. It's pure stick and rudder, "old time hockey" of flying. It's a graceful ballet that always makes me proud. As a spectator I find the Snowbirds show more entertaining and moving than the angels or the tbirds. Having done a little formation myself, I'm even more in awe, appreciating how hard what they do is.

There's a lot of division in Canada, a lot of differences being argued about. 431 Sqn is A Canadian institution that we can all celebrate and find some unifying pride and identity in. Their equipment might be old, but few planes can do what it does. Neither the Snowbirds, their equipment, nor what they represent in the Canadian Forces is boring.
Very well said.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

Their airdisplay is real airmanship.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Ok ill admit I'm a little jaded. I'm not a big fan of jets in an air show. I would never take anything away from the hard work and dedication of the pilots and support staff. I just think they need an overhaul. Time marches on and time has come to make a choice. Either the military throws a hundred percent support for the program in time and money or they shut it down all together.

Just one man's opinion. :mrgreen:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Flyboy757
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Flyboy757 »

Only got 240hrs on the Tutor. Gannet 167.....Totally agree with your statement.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

valleyboy wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:11 pm Either the military throws a hundred percent support for the program in time and money or they shut it down all together.
Please cite the evidence that leads you to the conclusion that they are not given the support they need. "Support" doesn't only come from having new tin parked on the ramp.

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I'm not a military pilot, have never flown formation, and know nothing of small jets but from what I can see of the results the Tutor is a great plane for a formation team. A slow roll by a nine ship formation is just way more impressive than anything I've seen from other demo teams. Plus the Tutor just looks better from far away than a pointy nosed jet.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

Thanks for that Gannet.
Really well summed up.
The Snowbirds are in a class of their own.
They make the absolute most out of their equipment, even if these trainers were built in the 1960's.
We should celebrate their capabilities and enjoy them while we can.

broken_slinky
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by broken_slinky »

cncpc wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:45 pm

Very well said.
I agree too. Saw them perform at Osh Kosh a few years back and it was really impressive.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

Dude, I have forwarded your post to the team.

They have an opening for PA officer coming up, wait for the call ;)

Seriously! Well said :)

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

What happened?

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
AuxBatOn
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by AuxBatOn »

The pilot ejected and the aircraft hit the ground.

Going for the deck at corner

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”