Strong headwinds cause crash?

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Strong headwinds cause crash?

Post by pelmet »

Someone on another forum claimed that there would be no new causes of airplane crashes this year. Maybe I found one.

"C-IFKK, a Zenair CH701 advanced ultralight, was conducting a VFR flight from Gimli, MB to
Riverton, MB. While enroute, gusty headwind conditions were encountered to the point where the
aircraft was moving backwards in relation to the ground and was losing altitude. As power lines
were underneath the aircraft, the pilot lowered the nose in an attempt to avoid them. The aircraft
subsequently stalled and struck the terrain below. The pilot sustained minor injuries and the aircraft
was destroyed."
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Strong headwinds cause crash?

Post by photofly »

pelmet wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:10 am Someone on another forum claimed that there would be no new causes of airplane crashes this year. Maybe I found one.

"C-IFKK, a Zenair CH701 advanced ultralight, was conducting a VFR flight from Gimli, MB to
Riverton, MB. While enroute, gusty headwind conditions were encountered to the point where the
aircraft was moving backwards in relation to the ground and was losing altitude. As power lines
were underneath the aircraft, the pilot lowered the nose in an attempt to avoid them. The aircraft
subsequently stalled and struck the terrain below. The pilot sustained minor injuries and the aircraft
was destroyed."
Does it count as an airplane?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

A stall speed of 26 kts and a strong headwind must have made that a pretty cushy crash.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Since when does "lowering the nose" lead to a stall condition? Was he flying inverted?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Capt. Underpants wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:49 am Since when does "lowering the nose" lead to a stall condition? Was he flying inverted?
Flying backwards, flying inverted, they can be very hard to distinguish, sometimes.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Redneck_pilot86
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Redneck_pilot86 »

turning wasn't an option?

The only three things a wingman should ever say: 1. "Two's up" 2. "You're on fire" 3. "I'll take the fat one"
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

I think the gusty conditions beyond the pilot's abilities is what caused the stall, not lowering the nose. It says subsequent.

What I want to know is how do headwinds make you descend and how do you avoid power lines below you by lowering the nose?

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Seems to me this falls under the "no new causes" thing - why would someone go flying in those winds with that type. Pilot error is not new. I'm sure the winds didn't just happen and he likely failed to check forecasts.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
5x5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 5x5 »

Have flown "backwards" any number of times in 152/172 during slow flight exercises. Never lost altitude as a result and never stalled unexpectedly. I'd guess perhaps some lack of awareness was at fault - and that's nothing new.

Being stupid around airplanes is a capital offence and nature is a hanging judge!

“It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.”
Mark Twain
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It's an interesting thought experiement to consider how you'd manoeuvre for landing in a headwind that's stronger than your airspeed at touchdown.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

It's an interesting thought experiement to consider how you'd manoeuvre for landing in a headwind that's stronger than your airspeed at touchdown.
I did that once, delivering a 150 to Quebec. I realized (as I arrived much too early to Riviere du Loup) that I had had a tailwind exceeding 60 MPH. I powered down final approach, for what seemed like a very long time, and flew up to the intersection, where I did about a hovering landing. I must have looked like a Hawker Harrier! Once on the runway, I held the nose down, and kept some power on, not to be blown away. Some kindly people came out, and held the wingtips so I could turn to taxi off the runway. It was not as difficult as I imagined.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:57 pm It's an interesting thought experiement to consider how you'd manoeuvre for landing in a headwind that's stronger than your airspeed at touchdown.
Simple...land downwind.

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

pelmet wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:25 pm
photofly wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:57 pm It's an interesting thought experiement to consider how you'd manoeuvre for landing in a headwind that's stronger than your airspeed at touchdown.
Simple...land downwind.
Simple, land into the wind. But I am sure Pelmet will regal us all with airmanship stories and point out all of our shortcomings as he sees fit by cherry picking accident reports.

Pelmet, What’s your motive? Sensational headers?

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:21 pm
pelmet wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:25 pm
Simple...land downwind.
Simple, land into the wind. But I am sure Pelmet will regal us all with airmanship stories and point out all of our shortcomings as he sees fit by cherry picking accident reports.

Pelmet, What’s your motive? Sensational headers?
Thanks for the landing into wind advice. Your years of experience have obviously taught you well(except for your spelling). And your great wisdom is appreciated.

I respectfully change my earlier downwind landing recommendation.....just in case anyone else actually took it seriously.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I'm appreciate Pelmet's regal efforts to cherry pick accident reports, as I would tire of reading all of them!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:58 am I'm appreciate Pelmet's regal efforts to cherry pick accident reports, as I would tire of reading all of them!
Why thank you. Actually, a better term would be focusing on the important lessons, sometimes hidden, that could prevent another accident.

And there can be a lot of information in many reports that is really not particularly useful to pilots, especially time-limited ones wanting quick answers on preventing a recurrence. Of course, this thread was just about an ‘interesting’ brief that I came across.

Of course, much of what I have posted is opinion and I welcome constructive criticism, additional advice, or personal in topic experiences. Some like you Mr. DAR are good at that. Some others.....

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

turning wasn't an option?
He must have thought that going into a tailwind would exceed the Vne of his craft ! :wink:

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

If at all possible, AVOID low level circuits with a high wind in poor weather ! Dangerous! Land straight in . My experience involved about 12 people coming out to the runway to "catch" the Little C-150. We tied it down on the runway with 3 trucks and they put a fuel truck in front ( not a good thing to do! ) After making it through the sandstorm to the terminal bldg with a blown out ceiling, the wing meter was showing gusts to 95 mph.

C.W.E.
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by C.W.E. »

How did you get yourself into a situation in a light airplane when the winds were gusting to 95 mph????

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

C.W.E. wrote: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:09 am How did you get yourself into a situation in a light airplane when the winds were gusting to 95 mph????
Unless ...

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”