Hawaii helo crashes

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Hawaii helo crashes

Post by pelmet »

I have been there several times but for some reason have never gotten around to a helicopter tour. Would like to but one thing is for sure....I would definitely not go if the weather seemed at all marginal.

There have just been too many crashes that I have read about over the years. Mostly CFIT.

One went missing yesterday. 7 on board. Poor weather.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/to ... t-n1107566
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Hawaii helo crashes

Post by Heliian »

The helicopter is still missing. Going off the company website, it was possibly an AS350.

One thing that bugs me about this accident and another recently in pearl harbour is the lack of emergency flotation on the aircraft.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

pelmet wrote: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:53 am I have been there several times but for some reason have never gotten around to a helicopter tour. Would like to but one thing is for sure....I would definitely not go if the weather seemed at all marginal.

There have just been too many crashes that I have read about over the years. Mostly CFIT.

One went missing yesterday. 7 on board. Poor weather.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/to ... t-n1107566
You bet. Seems like Hawaii , cruise ship Alaska and Grand Canyon have had the the most sad and deadly air tour accidents. Personally, no matter the wx those type of aviation trips don’t interest me in the least. Add hot air balloons to that as well - I would rather spend my touring money on beer and wine either on the beach or cruise ship pubs.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Wreckage found inland mountainous area

https://www.cnn.com/2019/12/27/us/hawai ... index.html

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

Was on Kauai in February. During my time there I noticed several times how these tourist helicopters were flying alongside mountains in marginal conditions. I guess a lot of it is about the tourist dollar. The sad part is that the average tourist is not aware of the dangers of weather conditions and how rapidly it can change.

KenoraPilot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by KenoraPilot »

Was just on Kauai in November and paid for my in-laws to fly with Blue Hawaiian in the EC130 out of Princeville airport on a tour. This is terrifying, thankfully the weather was screaming VFR but still my thoughts and prayers go out to the family's of the passengers and pilot.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

You can be sitting in CAVU weather at the airport with nothing but a day breeze in the forecast while the area that’s popular for the heli tours is shrouded in cloud. Friends had a really close call there back in the 90’s, missing the hillside by a few feet. We decided that we’d have to enjoy that view on a TV or theatre screen because the risk wasn’t worth it.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”