Near collision at Brampton

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Near collision at Brampton

Post by pelmet »

A good reminder of how conflicting traffic can surprise you, and for reasons that are out of the ordinary.....

A student pilot was returning to Brampton-Caledon (CNC3) from a cross country solo flight in a
Cessna 172P (C-GOZD) aircraft and did not select the correct radio frequency for the Brampton
Flying Club. Unable to reach anyone on the radio, the pilot did a precautionary fly over runway 33;
runway 15 was active. The pilot then proceeded to land on runway 33. Simultaneously, C-GBBP, a
Cessna 172S aircraft with an instructor and student on board had just touched down on runway 15
for a touch and go landing. The instructor observed the other aircraft in the landing flare in front of
them, broadcast on the radio for the aircraft to go around, and told his student stop their aircraft.
The pilot of C-GOZD continued with the landing and then noticed C-GBBP on the runway in front of
him. The pilot of C-GOZD attempted to stop the aircraft with difficulty, so applied right rudder and
exited off the side of runway 33 into the infield. There was no damage to either aircraft. There were
no injuries.
---------- ADS -----------

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Near collision at Brampton

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

The conflicting traffic did not please advise!!

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

Devils advocate time.

Imagine both were NORDO and the winds were calm. In such a scenario both pilots would have flown opposite downwinds and ended up head to head. Hopefully they would notice one another before anything happens but if not...yikes. I am still in awe that we allow NORDO at some airports in Canada.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

linecrew wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:17 am Devils advocate time.

Imagine both were NORDO and the winds were calm. In such a scenario both pilots would have flown opposite downwinds and ended up head to head. Hopefully they would notice one another before anything happens but if not...yikes. I am still in awe that we allow NORDO at some airports in Canada.
Well if they’re smart enough to notice the winds are calm, presumably they’re smart enough to look at the opposite downwind, and opposite final, and spot conflicting traffic.

Not every aviation issue should be solved by more engines, more crew, more radios, more checklists and more regulations.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

. Not every aviation issue should be solved by more engines, more crew, more radios, more checklists and more regulations.
Are you sure?

Common sense seems to have disappeared.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

trey kule wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:28 am
. Not every aviation issue should be solved by more engines, more crew, more radios, more checklists and more regulations.
Are you sure?
I'm not 100%, but I try to persuade myself.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

trey kule wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:28 am
Are you sure?

Common sense seems to have disappeared.
...and I'd like to protect myself from those that can't/don't protect themselves.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

I learned to fly on a NORDO airplane, operated out of an airport that had 3 runways, and perish the thought, nobody on a radio on the ground. No FSS, no tower, nobody to hold my hand at all. When I did my cross country, I went into a tower controlled airport, phone them in advance to let them know I was coming. They gave me the 'green light' to land. I parked in front of the tower, went inside for a coffee, then chatted for a bit with the folks in the FSS office, then went out and took off, again they gave me the green lights.

Personally, my thoughts are, if you cant fly an airplane without a radio, then maybe you dont belong in the front seat of an airplane to begin with. It's really not rocket science by any stretch, just look out the window and confirm there are no other airplanes in the place you are about to go.

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

goldeneagle wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:07 pm

I learned to fly on a NORDO airplane, operated out of an airport that had 3 runways, and perish the thought, nobody on a radio on the ground. No FSS, no tower, nobody to hold my hand at all. When I did my cross country, I went into a tower controlled airport, phone them in advance to let them know I was coming. They gave me the 'green light' to land. I parked in front of the tower, went inside for a coffee, then chatted for a bit with the folks in the FSS office, then went out and took off, again they gave me the green lights.

Personally, my thoughts are, if you cant fly an airplane without a radio, then maybe you dont belong in the front seat of an airplane to begin with. It's really not rocket science by any stretch, just look out the window and confirm there are no other airplanes in the place you are about to go.
I'm guessing the example you are providing was at a quiet airport with very little traffic.

My point is that the technology of communication is so incredibly affordable and greatly enhances situational awareness that it's hard to believe people still argue against it. To me it's like the arguments folks had against wearing seat belts in cars when they became mandatory, or when all cars had to have anti-lock brakes. I just don't get why anyone wouldn't agree with it. I guess I just don't have faith in people because I've seen some of them at their worst.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It’s nothing like seatbelts. There is no rain of small aircraft falling out of the sky at uncontrolled airports due to conflicts in the circuit. There is no problem to be solved. Even in this instance of a conflict (where in fact the aircraft had radios, so your proposed rule making would make no difference) no damage resulted to any aircraft, and there were no injuries.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

goldeneagle wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:07 pm

I learned to fly on a NORDO airplane, operated out of an airport that had 3 runways, and perish the thought, nobody on a radio on the ground.
Yeah....where?

Let me get this straight, your're advocating this should be the practice at Brampton? That's the thread here -- about Brampton, one of the busiest uncontrolled airports in the country.

Have you been to Brampton on a sunny Saturday with the pattern jammed full of low time students?

I've seen guys like you in the pattern, who think they own the airport, who cut off slower planes on base, disregard the traffic pattern 6 other planes are following, neither place nor respond to any radio calls.

Clearly affirms the view degrees certainly don't translate into common sense.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

photofly wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:35 am Not every aviation issue should be solved by more engines, more crew, more radios, more checklists and more regulations.
That's why airliners have 2, 3, 4, or 5 of everything? The 747 is unquestionably a safer airplane than the 172.

I'm not arguing NORDO can't be done safely, just don't fly NORDO into a busy airport. Granted this event sounds like finger trouble switching frequencies and is an accepted risk in the flight training world.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

goingnowherefast wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:01 pm That's why airliners have 2, 3, 4, or 5 of everything? The 747 is unquestionably a safer airplane than the 172
If you try to land both at Brampton, which one is safer? Which one would you rather be in, then?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 7:50 pm
goldeneagle wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:07 pm Let me get this straight, your're advocating this should be the practice at Brampton? That's the thread here -- about Brampton, one of the busiest uncontrolled airports in the country.
No, he's not advocating that.

The only reason we're talking about NORDO is because some cockamamy comment about how NORDO should be banned - no, I'm sorry - about how it's a miracle that NORDO is still permitted anywhere in Canada. Clearly the obvious needs to be pointed out:both airplanes involved in this incident were radio equipped. Both of them. This has nothing to do with NORDO.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:21 pm
goldeneagle wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:07 pm Let me get this straight, your're advocating this should be the practice at Brampton? That's the thread here -- about Brampton, one of the busiest uncontrolled airports in the country.

The only reason we're talking about NORDO is because some cockamamy comment about how NORDO should be banned - no, I'm sorry - about how it's a miracle that NORDO is still permitted anywhere in Canada. Clearly the obvious needs to be pointed out:both airplanes involved in this incident were radio equipped. Both of them. This has nothing to do with NORDO.
The thread is about Brampton, not Lone Pine Tree, Saskatchewan.

The attitude is clear, and I've seen it myself in the pattern encountering the odd pilot:

"I'll do whatever I want, due to some superiority complex, and to heck with anyone else".

That's a problem, especially at the busiest fields.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:37 pm The thread is about Brampton, not Lone Pine Tree, Saskatchewan.
"I'll do whatever I want, due to some superiority complex, and to heck with anyone else".

How is that remotely relevant to an incident between a student who mis-tuned their radio, and an instructional flight that hadn't taken off yet?

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:39 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:37 pm The thread is about Brampton, not Lone Pine Tree, Saskatchewan.

How is that remotely relevant to an incident between a student who mis-tuned their radio, and an instructional flight that hadn't taken off yet?
I didn't turn it into a high and mighty effort to assert NORDO rights at JFK et all, in the era of inexpensive handheld radios.

"I don't need to carry a handheld, you know, because".

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

rookiepilot wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:58 pm I didn't turn it into a high and mighty effort to assert NORDO rights at JFK et all, in the era of inexpensive handheld radios.
No, nobody did! Everybody in this incident had a radio!

Checklist
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Checklist »

photofly wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:21 pm

So you’ve seen every single aircraft that’s every been close to you ever?

Yup not a thread about NORDO, but seems you’re defending it anyway.

You have the means to buy an aircraft, get a **** radio. And a transponder.

Stuff happens but at least give yourselves the tools guys.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Checklist wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:26 pm So you’ve seen every single aircraft that’s every been close to you ever?

Yup not a thread about NORDO, but seems you’re defending it anyway.

You have the means to buy an aircraft, get a **** radio.
You're still talking about NORDO.

Remember, everyone involved in this incident had a radio.
Checklist wrote: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:26 pm And a transponder.
And a transponder, too.

Anyone up for mandating TCAS in a 150? After all, we have to give ourselves the tools, don't we?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”