Ukraine International PS752

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Ukraine International PS752

Post by ReserveTank »

Crashed this morning a few minutes after takeoff from Tehran. Video shows that it was on fire prior to hitting the ground. Emergency crews on site. No survivors expected.

https://www.flightradar24.com/blog/ukra ... om-tehran/

With video:
https://heavy.com/news/2020/01/ukrainia ... hran-iran/
---------- ADS -----------

P-40
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Ukraine International PS752

Post by P-40 »

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/worl ... raine.html

Of course the Iranians are going to state it was a technical issue. Other unsubstantiated reports are already stating it was mistakenly shot down in the climb by the Iranians.

Iran hurling missiles at American bases in Iraq and a Ukranian 737-800 mysteriously goes down on departure whilst Vladimir Putin is visiting friends nearby in Syria.

This will be very interesting to see how this plays out as the United States and other allied nations will easily be able to determine if it was indeed shot down seeing all the intelligence being poured over Iran right now.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

They never said it was a technical issue with the aircraft...

Dash.Trash
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Dash.Trash »

fish4life wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:10 am They never said it was a technical issue with the aircraft...
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/wor ... raine.html

“ The crash took place as Iran was likely bracing for retaliation to its missile attacks hours earlier against U.S. military bases in Iraq. But the Ukrainian Embassy in Tehran said the passenger plane was not shot down.

“According to preliminary information, the airplane crashed as a result of engine failure due to technical reasons,” the embassy said in a statement. “The possibility of a terrorist attack or a rocket attack can currently be ruled out.”

Qassem Biniaz, an official at the Iranian Ministry of Roads and Urban Development, told the Islamic Republic News Agency, the government’s official news agency, that an engine caught fire and the pilot was unable to regain control. Ukraine International Airlines Flight 752 left Imam Khomeini International Airport in Tehran at 6:12 a.m. on Wednesday and lost contact at 6:14 a.m., according to a flight tracker.”

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

I am going to be the asshole who assumes the worst, but I believe that there is a good chance it was shot down.

I am far from an expert on crash investigation, but take a look at some of the images so far.

And one of the horizontal stabilizer with a bunch of punctures in it.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

righthandman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by righthandman »

plausiblyannonymous wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:04 am I am going to be the asshole who assumes the worst, but I believe that there is a good chance it was shot down.

I am far from an expert on crash investigation, but take a look at some of the images so far.

And one of the horizontal stabilizer with a bunch of punctures in it.

Add to the above markings...

Apparently a straight out departure based on radar tracking, so little deliberate manoeuvring and/or no erratic flight path following whatever it is that happened

Abruptly drops off radar after climbing to no higher than 4000’ agl

Wide debris field with no crater on videos

Iranians don’t want to release data or voice recorders even to a third party=suspicious

When is the last time any mechanical failure causes a plane to disintegrate?

All this seems to add up to something that shot it or blew it out of the sky.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

FOD wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:33 am That’s a shocking amount of Canadians in one such place. Condolences. Jordanian news and other reliable sources reporting anti aircraft activity to blame. Sad situation indeed.
Obviously don’t know the average a Canadian passenger count but could be Canadians attempting to leave the area based on advice from our Government.
Hopefully a third party will be allowed to verify any claims made on the “black box” data

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
ReserveTank
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ReserveTank »

Passenger list released by the airline:
Add 11 crew to it.

https://www.flyuia.com/uk/en/news/2020/ ... enger-list

EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EastCoastWings »

FOD wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:33 am That’s a shocking amount of Canadians in one such place. Condolences. Jordanian news and other reliable sources reporting anti aircraft activity to blame. Sad situation indeed.
Not really when you consider that the largest population of Ukrainians outside of Ukraine is here in Canada, and Orthodox Christmas just happened on Monday. Likely first or second generation Canadian citizens with Ukrainian family traveling to/from Ukraine / Canada over the holidays.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Via Tehran? There's 100000 Iranians in the GTA alone.

EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EastCoastWings »

Victory wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:14 am Via Tehran? There's 100000 Iranians in the GTA alone.
According to the 2016 Census, there are 210,405 Canadians with Iranian ethnic origins in Canada and 1,359,655 with Ukrainian

shabadoo
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by shabadoo »

EastCoastWings wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 am
Not really when you consider that the largest population of Ukrainians outside of Ukraine is here in Canada, and Orthodox Christmas just happened on Monday. Likely first or second generation Canadian citizens with Ukrainian family traveling to/from Ukraine / Canada over the holidays.
UIA advertises it as a connecting flight... Toronto-Kyiv-Tehran.

EastCoastWings
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by EastCoastWings »

shabadoo wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 am
EastCoastWings wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:08 am
UIA advertises it as a connecting flight... Toronto-Kyiv-Tehran.
Yes, looking at the details of some of the Canadian Passengers who have been identified, it appears my initial thought was incorrect.

iflyforpie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by iflyforpie »

A bomb on board also fits the general pattern.

Anyone know which bus the ADS-B or transponder data runs off of? I would imagine it would be the essential bus... making any loss due to an electrical failure extremely unlikely.

Geez did I say that....? Or just think it....?
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

There's a video from an Iranian on the ground filming an aeroplane on fire, prior to impact and a massive explosion.

The 737 was on fire prior to impact, and appeared to be in one piece prior to impact - and based off of the large area of debris, one can surmise that it impacted the ground at a relatively shallow angle.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

My bet?

It was a near impact surface to air missile fired by a trigger happy Iranian lieutenant. You don't need Boom to destroy a plane, you just need shrapnel.

That tail damage did not come from engines breaking apart - it came from the side. Those photos suggest a below plane and behind engine detonation. I realize I'm just an armchair quarterback here, but mark my words - that plane was shot down. I will eat my words if I'm wrong.

Unless of course, an engine fell off, and promptly exploded mere hundredths of a second later. Realistically, a missile strike is more likely, assuming I am correct in interpreting that tail damage as coming from the side.

It was an attack.

(IANAL, I am not a credible source, yadda yadda...)

Last edited by RedAndWhiteBaron on Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

“Early morning after you just bombed US bases? You know some trigger-happy guys were pulling all nighters with their fingers on the buttons. So not only was the capacity for a shoot down there, it was on the edge...... “

There has been precedence established for sure. Note Russia vs Korean Air B747 and USA vs Iran Air A300, both acknowledgements as terrible accidents not state sponsored willful acts. Yes there was indeed finger pointing and face saving as expected.However in this case I am confused as to what Iran hoped to gain in deliberate destruction of a commercial airliner especially towards a country(Ukraine) they permitted to operate within its domestic airspace.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Old fella wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:18 am However in this case I am confused as to what Iran hoped to gain in deliberate destruction of a commercial airliner especially towards a country(Ukraine) they permitted to operate within its domestic airspace.
Maybe it was the Russians who want to sucker the US into another middle east war? Just pure speculation.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Bede wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:35 am
Old fella wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:18 am However in this case I am confused as to what Iran hoped to gain in deliberate destruction of a commercial airliner especially towards a country(Ukraine) they permitted to operate within its domestic airspace.
Maybe it was the Russians who want to sucker the US into another middle east war? Just pure speculation.
Yes, the rawest kind of pure speculation. I kinda doubt the atheist, non-believe , godless Russians have Carte Blanche authority inside the walls of Iran.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”