Helicopter down in Quebec

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Helicopter down in Quebec

Post by PilotDAR »

Buried in the middle of this sad story is report of a helicopter down too:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.5435756

That's sad. When I trained our search and rescue people, I would remind them that just because they are searching, they are not immune to an accident!

I spent 20 years teaching ice water rescue, and doing a few in the water, as well as searching for a number of victims with my planes. Some people forget that just because the top surface of the water is hard, doesn't mean it will support you, and a life jacket is still a must!
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Helicopter down in Quebec

Post by PilotDAR »

'Looks like this one:

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/232383

Bell 206L-4 C-GSQA, and an injured pilot.

Tourist sledders might not have given their plan a lot of thought, we accept that they are low experience, they perhaps put their faith in a guide, who has also paid with his life. If the guide required the tourist sledders to wear floater suits, they would all be alive today, and the search very much less risky. The news says that four sleds have been found underwater, but not bodies. More risk and cost to find them.

Yes, I've been involved with this. As a firefighter, I searched all afternoon down the hole - sled, but no body. I searched from both my plane, looking straight down, and then in a suit, in our F.D. Zodiac. I flew back the next day to assist the police divers. As I flew downwind to land on the ice (A lake I knew very well, and wearing my floater suit in the plane), I saw the body through the ice, about 500 feet down current from the hole. I marked the spot by throwing a rope bag out the window, and taking bearings. I landed, put on a Fire Department full immersion suit, took an axe, and a rope, and lead two police divers for a walk. I walked right up to the spot, chopped a hole in the ice, and we pulled out the body. He had floated down current. His helmet (which he did think to wear!) was a fine antifriction device against the underside of the lake ice. The police divers told me that I had saved them at least three days diving to grid search that far, and he would have drifted more during that period, and might have sunk. He was floating helmet up, boots down, wrists up, and had stiffened that way. When we put him on the stretcher, we could not get his arms down. He was lying as if reaching for the sky, it was extra sad.

The victim was a retired Toronto police officer - retired only a couple of months, and now drowned. For not wearing a floater suit/life jacket, he was dead, and we invested lots of cost and risk looking for him. It is possible, that had I not seen him from the plane, he would not have been found 'till spring, and we'd rather not discuss the details of how that happens.

Now, the Quebec police have injured a pilot, and lost a helicopter, as well as immense emergency services cost and effort - and four/five bodies are still missing, perhaps never to be found. Seven years before their estates can be settled? - all because they did not wear floater suits.

If you are going to operate anything on the water, liquid or frozen, wear a PFD!!! There's no excuse! They're not hard to buy, not expensive, and are available in the stylish dark colours, which your coolness on the trail requires! The life jacket I was wearing, when I least expected needing it, saved my life. What's the excuse for not wearing one?

Rant not over yet... Just paused for a short while - till next time!
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”