Turkish overrun

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Turkish overrun

Post by Mick G »

This just in......

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/turkey-is ... -1.5452607

At least 52 people were injured and taken to area hospitals, Istanbul Gov. Ali Yerlikaya said, according to The Associated Press. The transportation minister, Mehmet Cahit Turhan, said the accident was the result of a "rough landing."

A bit of an understatement, lol ! :lol:
---------- ADS -----------

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Turkish overrun

Post by Capt. Underpants »

AvHerald has posted some ADSB numbers about the approach trajectory. If even half of it is true, then this accident was fait accompli.

plausiblyannonymous
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by plausiblyannonymous »

Landing runway 06 when the winds were reported 29022G37 and +TSRA.

So, 30 knot tailwind with a runway that likely has standing water. That's not an accident... it's poor decision making.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

attitude, culture, training , oh and one more thing i am not allowed to speak of caused this accident!

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Heard 3 dead tonight

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Three in two years for Pegasus? No, it's not their safety culture. :roll:

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

Something going on with their operation and Sabiha airport itself. The runway is uneven, sloping up then down, terrible when wet.

The ILS for 06 is 3.5 degrees, and standard speeds are 180 to 6 and 160 to 4. Surrounding terrain is all hills, which cause added turbulence on the approach. To maintain the speeds and stabilized criteria, I’d always use flaps 2, gear down, and speed brakes.

With the weather they had, it’s an impossible approach to shoot.

I was flying in that region on the same day, and I found ATC telling me winds are 4kts, and once in final, in a valley, discovered surface winds were now gusting over 40kts, the missed approach area is all closed off with cells, and we’re in a valley where MSA is over 10,400ft.

ATC doesn’t help, the weather changes rapidly, so it gets pretty challenging, pretty quickly.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Nice to see nothing has changed in Turkey in 20 years. Horrible ATC at the best of times.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

According to Mode-S data transmitted by the aircraft the aircraft landed long and hot, 1500 meters before the runway threshold the aircraft was descending through 950 feet MSL (corrected for local pressure, actual Mode-S reading 1500 feet)/661 feet AGL at 194 knots over ground, touched down about abeam taxiways T/F (about 1950 meters/6400 feet past the threshold, about 1000 meters/3300 feet before the runway end) at about 130 knots over ground, overran the end of the runway at about 63 knots over ground veering slightly to the left (last transponder transmission), hit the localizer antenna runway 06, went over an airport road and a cliff and impacted the airport perimeter wall.
More like no decision making...….touching down more than halfway down the runway - they were just taking in the scenery I guess.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”