DC6 lands short at Candle on Aug 1st 2019

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

DC6 lands short at Candle on Aug 1st 2019

Post by J31 »

A Tatonduk Outfitters Douglas DC-6 on behalf of Everts Air Cargo, registration N451CE performing flight VTS-25 from Fairbanks,AK to Candle,AK (USA) with 3 people on board, was on approach to Candle's runway when the aircraft struck a berm causing damage to the landing gear. The aircraft continued the landing.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4cb198d9&opt=0

I think that one is a write off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... e=emb_logo
---------- ADS -----------

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: DC6 lands short at Candle on Aug 1st 2019

Post by 98 Corolla »

The truck parked on the runway probably didn't help.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Holy shit look at that wheel go! Hahaha

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Whoever left those piles of gravel so close to the runway threshold should be facing criminal charges.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Mick G wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 7:00 pm Whoever left those piles of gravel so close to the runway threshold should be facing criminal charges.
Runway length is just over 3800'. Not sure what a DC-6 requires(although a YouTube commenter says it was tight) and not sure how familiar they were with this airport, but some of the northern operators of big aircraft have a strip check done prior to going in with the big plane with pertinent info then supplied to the flight crews. Then if a hazard like this is seen, it can be dealt with either by removing the hazard or making crews aware of it. I suppose if this hasn't been done, don't touchdown too close to the threshold. Looked like his gear was in the bushes. Weird stuff can be left near the runways at remote places like this.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

3800 feet is tight and threshold crossing is reduced to almost zero to get it done. The DC6 does have reverse so a little better than breaks only. We operated out of 4000 ft with a CV440 but weights were restricted. I would imagine the magic number for a dc6 loaded would be around 5000 ft for runway length. What is the airport elevation??

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Google Earth shows the "runway" as "Tractor Trail" (so as to be a road on Google Earth, rather than a runway. The image is from 2010, so the fuel tanks are not in the same location. It looks like the available length is/was 4400 feet, but I can still see why the pilot would be dragging it in short.

Sad for the old bird....

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

Sad to see. Not many working Big Pistons left. 3800ft is indeed tight for a DC6 and would require planning on a touchdown near the threshold, which should be fine unless there is a big berm there....

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Big Pistons Forever wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 4:30 pm Sad to see. Not many working Big Pistons left. 3800ft is indeed tight for a DC6 and would require planning on a touchdown near the threshold, which should be fine unless there is a big berm there....
Guys, I think you are missing the point here. Yes, the landing distance for a 6 is tight at 3800....the point is there was no natural BERM, if you pause the video around the 6 second mark, there are at least 5 pyramid shaped piles of gravel or road crush either ON the runway or right around the threshold. We don't know if they did a flyby to assess or not, but the gravel piles may have been camouflaged and/or not easy to see.

The idiot in charge of the runway maintenance ought to face some sort of criminal charge. Forget the plane, people could have died here; no joke. This was a totally preventable accident.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

not missing the point at all. Unlicensed strip, use at your own peril. Who put those guys in there and why weren't some kind of runway report. I assume they would have at least a sat phone on site. One could wonder if the berms had been there for a while and people got complacent about reporting to a crew that might be unfamiliar. Yes the berms should not be there but they were and I'm curious why 3 sets of eyes did not notice them. They landed way too close to the threshhold and if they had even landed at the 150 ft mark life would have been much better. The crew needs to take part of the blame, no question. Short field, tunnel vision approach and they landed too short and didn't notice the obstacles. F/o's side. and possibly head down calling speeds and sink rate (speculation but from experience) and the fe likely could not see them because of landing attitude.

Last edited by valleyboy on Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Nah, it's just another day in Alaska. Pretty sure they average 1 wreck per day up there now.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Nah, it's just another day in Alaska. Pretty sure they average 1 wreck per day up there now.
What's that phrase "Alaska, the last frontier" :mrgreen:

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

valleyboy wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:25 pm not missing the point at all. Unlicensed strip, use at your own peril. Who put those guys in there and why weren't some kind of runway report. I assume they would have at least a sat phone on site. One could wonder if the berms had been there for a while and people got complacent about reporting to a crew that might be unfamiliar. Yes the berms should not be there but they were and I'm curious why 3 sets of eyes did not notice them. They landed way too close to the threshhold and if they had even landed at the 150 ft mark life would have been much better. The crew needs to take part of the blame, no question. Short field, tunnel vision approach and they landed too short and didn't notice the obstacles. F/o's side. and possibly head down calling speeds and sink rate (speculation but from experience) and the fe likely could not see them because of landing attitude.
I suspect that it would be pretty difficult for a crew to see a pile of gravel hidden by bushes on a gravel runway. Even if not hidden, depending on light, it could easily not be seen even in the middle of the runway well past the threshold. I suspect there had been some sort of general report(perhaps by phone) as good runway-no ruts-no soft spots etc. I guess if you want to maximize the runway use, you need details about the threshold area as well.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

If you need to land that close to the threshold you shouldn’t be landing there. I’ve been into my fair share of short strips and not once did I need to drag the main gear through the bush at the end of the runway. My bet is they were showing off for the camera (who were conveniently parked right at the end) and got lower than planned.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”