172 down in Victoria BC

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

sunfm
Rank 1
Rank 1

172 down in Victoria BC

Post by sunfm »

---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: 172 down in Victoria BC

Post by PilotDAR »

So we can infer that it was an actual forced landing, though the news story is not definitive.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

More info here:

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/loca ... 1.24078499

Oil leaked onto windshield.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

A carrier landing using irrigation cables.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 pm Oil leaked onto windshield.
After losing the propellor.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

AirFrame wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:19 am
CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:36 pm Oil leaked onto windshield.
After losing the propellor.
Yes, it looks like it lost the prop:

https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/it-w ... vCm1eXNve0

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Anyone else notice the photo of the inverted 172 being hoisted by a crane? The aircraft is being lifted partially by the landing gear, that doesn't seem like a great idea.

Last edited by 7ECA on Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

So the crankshaft must have sheared off behind the prop flange, which would account for all the oil splashed around. Usually something initiates a crack, that eventually propagates until the flange with the prop still bolted to it and safety-wired, detaches. Not cleanly, they’ll wobble around a bit and chew up the cowling. If the crack is outside the oil seal you can usually catch it on an inspection. I wonder what the crank history was, and how much warning the pilot had.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

It looks like the lifting sling goes through the doorframe around the whole belly.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

photofly wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:00 pm It looks like the lifting sling goes through the doorframe around the whole belly.
Bugger, missed that first time through. Guess at this point it doesn't much matter if damage is done, the insurance company is now the proud owner.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

photofly wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:00 pm It looks like the lifting sling goes through the doorframe around the whole belly.
I'd hazard a guess that most of these situations result in writing off the airplane due to the salvage operation, not due to the crash itself.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I'd hazard a guess that most of these situations result in writing off the airplane due to the salvage operation, not due to the crash itself
The they'd be doing it wrong. We never accidentally damaged an airplane during recovery. We did deliberately cut a few into pieces, when they were written off already, but we never damaged anything which was possibly airworthy after the crash - that's kind of the point!

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Yea - Not always!
I've seen a few salvages where they did 10 times more damage than whatever incident did.

In this case though - I don't think they damaged it at all, as they went around the front door posts. That cabin member is where the fwd wingspar attaches to the fuse and the struts attach there as well. It's very strong there. It looks like it could be rebuilt again without too much effort (at least from way back here)

Lots of airplanes have ended up on their back only to be repaired again.

kevind
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by kevind »

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

7ECA wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:43 pm Anyone else notice the photo of the inverted 172 being hoisted by a crane? The aircraft is being lifted partially by the landing gear, that doesn't seem like a great idea.
They wrapped straps around the lower strut attachments with a stabilization line to the main landing gear. It is solid and good place to lift the aircraft. Not really much weight at 1600 lbs.

jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

I heard on the news today someone found the propeller in their backyard.

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

jakeandelwood wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:48 pm I heard on the news today someone found the propeller in their backyard.
If, in saying backyard you meant field, then yes.

https://www.timescolonist.com/news/loca ... 1.24088806

Will fix airplanes for food.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

...... found the propeller in their backyard.

If, in saying backyard you meant field, then yes.
I have two propellers in my backyard, though happily, they're both installed on my planes.

I bought a 172, knowing that it had had a prop strike. The two owners ago owner (prop strike pilot) had been flying it around, until he sold it to the person I bought it from. The prop had been overhauled and zero'd, after the prop strike, but the owner at the time declined an engine inspection. This was all correctly documented in the logs, and I was perfectly aware of the situation when I chose to buy, I was planning to rebuild the plane anyway. It had been sitting for a while, and didn't run well enough for me to fly it home. So I took the wings off, and trailered it home. I tore the engine down, and sent the crank for MPI, the crankshaft flange was cracked halfway around.

In my opinion, there could be a defect (crack) in a crankshaft which would not be detectable during an inspection with the crankshaft installed in the engine. The only way to be entirely confident about a crankshaft would be an MPI inspection out of the engine.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-GINH, a C-172 operated by Victoria Flying Club, was on a sight-seeing flight south of Victoria
International Airport (CYYJ) when smoke was noticed coming from the instrument panel. Shortly
after, the engine (Lycoming O-360-A3A) began to run rough and the windscreen became covered
in oil. The pilot declared a Mayday and began a return to CYYJ but the engine lost all power and a
forced landing was conducted in a field about 9 nm south of CYYJ. The aircraft overturned on
landing and was substantially damaged. The pilot and passenger received minor injuries.
Company maintenance found the crankshaft had broken several inches aft of the propeller flange
and the propeller departed the aircraft in flight.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

In my opinion, there could be a defect (crack) in a crankshaft which would not be detectable during an inspection with the crankshaft installed in the engine. The only way to be entirely confident about a crankshaft would be an MPI inspection out of the engine.
Lycoming have had huge issues with failing crankshafts over the last few years. The AD keeps getting expanded and was - funny enough - expanded again last week. I guess that's why I love continentals.

Makes you wonder....

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”