stolen float plane

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

sunfm
Rank 1
Rank 1

stolen float plane

Post by sunfm »

---------- ADS -----------

sunfm
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: stolen float plane

Post by sunfm »

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Looks like that Otter is going to need a lot of work to get back in the air. Right wing is toast, and the aft fuselage is beat. Interesting that the rudder is showing some deflection as well - I would have assumed that there was some sort of control lock(s), unless it let go.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

The damage to the Otter wing looks to me like a running prop ran up under the wing from behind, and chewed its way into the wing. If the thief had stolen an airplane with Beta, maybe he could have backed out of the huge mistake he was making, before such sad damage was done! I hope they sentence him to 10 years supervised with sheet metal tools :x

GyvAir
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by GyvAir »

https://globalnews.ca/news/6578962/vanc ... t-damaged/

I presume the Beaver wing was removed after tangling with the Otter, not somehow sheared clean off?

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

I hope they sentence him to 10 years supervised with sheet metal tools
Umm, No you don't want to do that! That is what Boeing does when they hire miscreants off the street ! :wink:

sunfm
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sunfm »

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by linecrew »

GyvAir wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:57 pm https://globalnews.ca/news/6578962/vanc ... t-damaged/

I presume the Beaver wing was removed after tangling with the Otter, not somehow sheared clean off?
Sheared clean off indeed. I'm sure she'll fly again though. This is crash number 3 in the history of Beaver serial number 1000.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

wow.... :shock:

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

I can’t help but be thankful that the idiot didn’t get airborne. He was a few hundred meters from a million sleeping and unsuspecting people.

laminar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by laminar »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:58 am The damage to the Otter wing looks to me like a running prop ran up under the wing from behind, and chewed its way into the wing. If the thief had stolen an airplane with Beta, maybe he could have backed out of the huge mistake he was making, before such sad damage was done! I hope they sentence him to 10 years supervised with sheet metal tools :x
Probably either released on scene with paperwork for a court date, or held for a bail hearing and released on a "no cash" release where if they don't show up to court they owe money to the crown but it's not something the crown ever fights for.

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

There's got to be more to the story than released thus far. A number of the stories/articles show the Beaver on the dock with the right wing removed and the damaged Otter. They all describe two HA planes as being damaged - but only one is seen.

The Times Colonist article shows a Beaver being towed (in the harbour, one would assume) missing a wing, and an Otter out in the water with significant damage and a wing (looks like the Beavers) strapped to the float.

So... did multiple aircraft get cast off into the harbour and the would be PIC only got the Beaver running?

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

To further the churn. Anyone know why This was found off Point Grey?

Attachments
873B8D50-435D-4903-9DCF-6E83423B1218.jpeg
873B8D50-435D-4903-9DCF-6E83423B1218.jpeg (160.09 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
C7091B65-016C-48ED-B11E-EB0C2014831B.jpeg
C7091B65-016C-48ED-B11E-EB0C2014831B.jpeg (216.47 KiB) Viewed 4736 times
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Anyone know why This was found off Point Grey?
Though I have no information about this sad recovery, I would certainly be more happy to disassemble a floatplane at a quiet beach, where I had room to work, then barge it out later.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

I have it on good authority that the floats were badly holed but someone (owner?) decided it needed to be towed with out any temp repairs. It almost completely sank (engine and avionics submerged) under tow and was beached on the jetty at the entrance to the North Arm. Shame, as it was a gorgeous machine. SN 1000 had been refurbished to a high standard. I've had a ride or two in it, really nice interior for an old frame.

SAR_YQQ
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by SAR_YQQ »

Thanks GRK, that makes sense. Would have been smart to maybe check the ELT before leaving it on that beach?

7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Honestly, with both (or all three, possibly) aircraft going to the same airport for maintenance; wouldn't it have just made more sense to leave them at YHC until a crane/barge was available?

Why would you decide to tow a damaged aircraft all the way from the Harbour to YVR, does anyone think that's a relatively sane thing to do?

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

So do I read this correctly!? Seair decided to tow this Beaver out of Vancouver Harbour, under the Lions Gate Bridge, through Burrard Inlet and into the Fraser River to their maintenance base at the Vancouver airport?

With that hole in the float?

That is about 20 miles of open water with wake and swell running at 2-3 feet on a calm day!

Then had to abandon the tow and beach her because she was sinking!

I guess that is why they call it Wreck Beach. :roll:

Photo credit: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5471317
seair-sea-plane-theft arrow.jpg
seair-sea-plane-theft arrow.jpg (354.99 KiB) Viewed 3772 times

delta1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by delta1 »

Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by 180 »

Some good close up views of buddy’s face and body in that video. This industry is so small, I’m sure someone will recognize him before too long and he will be nabbed.
You don’t just luck out and randomly start a Beaver.

Hopefully the fashion police ad an extra charge to his rap sheet too. Who wears a burgundy sweater with leather pants and black dress shoes anyways!?!

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”