Grande Prairie EULA Crash Report

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Grande Prairie EULA Crash Report

Post by pelmet »

Sadly, this fellow had just bought the aircraft and only got one mile from the airport before crashing and being killed. Low time guy.

According to the report..."When the aircraft was approximately 1 nm from the airfield, on the runway heading, it was seen at an altitude of 300 to 500 feet above ground level (AGL). The engine rpm was heard slowly increasing and decreasing but was not running rough. Moments later, the left wing dropped, and the aircraft entered a steep nose-down attitude. During the descent, the engine rpm increased rapidly, and the rpm remained high until the aircraft struck the ground."

Possibly engine issues leading to distraction and a stall.

The report does discuss the electronic fuel injection system which had been transferred from the original Suzuki engine to the normally carbureted Rotax 912 ULS four stroke engine, an engine that is known to be quite reliable. It seems fairly advanced with the ability to pre-program mixture control although there was still the option of manual control. Mention is made that there can be a power loss if the mixture is too rich or too lean. But, all evidence was destroyed in the fire.

One thing I did notice was the picture of a wooden box that was tied down in the back seat which was apparently used by the seller several times to carry stuff in the past. It almost looks like it was custom made for that seat with what appears to be a cutout for what I assume is the back seat throttle(but not certain that it is the throttle). It looks as if movement of that box could affect throttle operation. But one can only guess what happened.

I think I might be hesitant to have a box located that close to the throttle or trim handle.

https://tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-reports/ ... w0113.html
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”