Piper Cherokee Lands on Quebec Autoroute

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Piper Cherokee Lands on Quebec Autoroute

Post by Aviatard »

corethatthermal wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:29 pm Just like the law allowing you to use COMMON SENSE to cross a red light, you may need to speed up past the posted speed limit to get out of the way !! ( That one isn't in the lawbooks now is it? )
The Ontario Highway Traffic Act makes no provisions for common sense, capitalized or not. It also makes no exceptions for crossing a red light.
---------- ADS -----------

bodyflyer2
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by bodyflyer2 »

The Ontario Highway Traffic Act makes no provisions for common sense, capitalized or not
Looking at the Ontario Highway Traffic act, as was linked to above, I can see your statement makes some sense.

Part of the pulling over for emergency vehicles stuff says, "shall immediately bring such vehicle to a standstill," as near as practicable to the right curb or nearest curb depending on the roadway.

Other sections about slowing down or moving over a lane for stopped emergency vehicles mention doing so "safely" or with "due regard for traffic on and the conditions of the highway and the weather". But NOT the pulling over section.

It can get messy if one is around a lot of other drivers -- one can't entirely not go with the flow just because one happens to know the Traffic Act a little better than the next guy. If I'm on a busy 4 lane section of highway going the same direction and an emergency vehicle comes up from behind in the left lane, I would rather have everyone easing off speed and moving gradually towards the right side, than "immediately" cramming over to the right, or indeed slamming to a stop in their own lane because the lane to their right is still full with cars going by. I have been in that sort of mess before. Looks much safer if everyone is slowing down and trying to move right when a space opens up, than everyone trying to get fully stopped in accordance with the Traffic Act before the overtaking emergency vehicle passes.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Once you realize that there is an emergency vehicle behind you, and you plan to move to the right, the very best thing you can do first is signal your intention to move right. That way, everyone can know your intention, and the emergency vehicle driver in particular know that you know he/she is coming up behind you. I don't mind slowing down a fire truck to allow traffic to find the right path. I had locking it up because the motorist in front of me did something I could not anticipate.

I recall once, coming up behind an elderly lady (I could see that she was reaching up to put her hands at the ten & two on the steering wheel). She did not notice me. In those days we only ran the siren in town, on the open road it did not have much effect. But, elderly lady didn't know I was there, and she was not going very fast. I figured that if I switched on the siren, I would startle her. So, I dropped way back, put on the siren, and came up behind her again, all lights, and siren - she did not notice... So I carefully came in a little closer - then she noticed. I startled her anyway... I thought she was going to loose it, as she swerved left and right. I dropped back again so as not to be in the accident I feared. She kept it on the road, and I just sat behind her, eventually turning the siren off. I fairly estimate that she did not feel confident pulling onto the shoulder, even at her modest speed. I only had a few miles to go before I had to turn off anyway. I would rather explain being late to the Chief, than causing granny to roll in the ditch.

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... -on-camera

Pilot thought it may have been carb ice. Would be rare for a Cherokee, I only ever had a slight bit of carb ice once in mine on short final. No carb heat required on approach as per POH.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

JasonE wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:52 pm https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... -on-camera

Pilot thought it may have been carb ice. Would be rare for a Cherokee, I only ever had a slight bit of carb ice once in mine on short final. No carb heat required on approach as per POH.
It doesn't really sound like carb ice from his description. Stuck exhaust valve? If I was him, I would get my mechanic to take another look at that engine!

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Plane had been sitting for a while, picked a nice sunny day to go flying in his well maintained machine.

Could be water in the fuel from the sounds of the article.

Adam Oke
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Adam Oke »

GoodGuy wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:08 pm Does anyone know what the aftermath of a highway landing is?
Do you Toff again on the highway or is the plane disassembled and hauled off in a trailer?
Also is there a fine for landing on a highway?
I've landed twice on major highways in the prairies. Both due to engine failures.

The first time was a field repair. I called the RCMP and had the highway shut down for 2 mins for a departure. On the initial call, they only questioned if it was an accident/crash. The RCMP didn't really ask too many questions, nor did I give too many details. They shut down roughly a 2 miles stretch for me. I taxi'd out of the yard site and took off. Never heard from them again. I must have had about 10-15 cruisers come out for the air show.

The 2nd time was another field repair. I had company vehicles act as blockers with radios. I called them up if it was all clear, they took position, and I took off. Another non-event.

Looks like the guy or gal did a great job. Kudos! It get the ticker going when it spools down.

--Air to Ground Chemical Transfer Technician turned 4 Bar Switch Flicker and Flap Operator--

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”