Plane damaged by float access hatch

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Plane damaged by float access hatch

Post by pelmet »

Thats a new one for me. Have any of the float guys heard of similar incidents. Is this something you check for carefully........

"C-GZSH, a private amphibious float equipped Cessna A185F, utilized by Conair Aerial Firefighting,
was conducting a flight from Pitt Meadows (CYPK), BC, to Abbotsford (CYXX), BC, with 1 pilot and
1 passenger onboard. Shortly after takeoff, the pilot reported a loud bang followed by significant
vibrations and abnormal handling characteristics in the pitch axis. The pilot requested an
immediate landing, performed a 180 degree turn, and landed without incident. There was
substantial damage found on the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer.
Upon further inspection, the right hand float access hatch was missing and was presumed to have
struck the horizontal stabilizer. The aircraft had recently undergone maintenance on the hydraulic
system for the amphibious landing gear. The access hatch was recovered from the runway."
---------- ADS -----------

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Plane damaged by float access hatch

Post by PilotDAR »

Those being latched or not is an easy miss on a walk around. You gotta actually pull on them....

BGH
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by BGH »

Most of the older floats that I’ve dealt with had the hatch open towards the front so even if not latched the wind kept it closed.
The Aerocet open towards the aircraft so it might be possible to open during flight & stress the hinge.

Daryl

hotdog1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by hotdog1 »

I have had this happen to me in a 185 straight floats
Caused a fluttering, vibration felt through the pedals. Happened off and on, as the hatch would get stuck in the steps and then dislodge and flutter again. Landed on the nearest lake I could find to investigate and found the hatch unlocked and scratched where it was banging around
Hatch was on the passenger side, someone must have ‘had a look’ while I was away from the plane and didn’t lock it back down.
Now I check all the hatches if I am in a plane with float hatches

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

BGH wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:52 pm Most of the older floats that I’ve dealt with had the hatch open towards the front so even if not latched the wind kept it closed.
The Aerocet open towards the aircraft so it might be possible to open during flight & stress the hinge.

Daryl
Yep, I've left an Aerocet hatch open - they do have weak hinges but I was fortunate it just kind of fluttered a bit until I could get back on some water. Between that and some water rudders left down I prob owe a lot of beer

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

PilotDAR wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:19 pm Those being latched or not is an easy miss on a walk around. You gotta actually pull on them....
So true...

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”