Full length takeoff

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Full length takeoff

Post by pelmet »

---------- ADS -----------

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Full length takeoff

Post by mijbil »

They must be using US Navy screen height. IIRC it's zero since many of their runways are aimed at water. One fine day I stumbled on the USN standard for obstacle clearance at their bases which then led to a look at USN versus USAF versus DoD versus UK mil, Cdn mil, Cdn civ, US civ.....Similar but no one standard, except for gravity.
Here's an old clip of a Russian taking off in Oz and you could hear the tower guys getting a little antsy as the plane kept rolling and rolling and rolling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7q3j69-SHM

GoinVertical
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by GoinVertical »

I remember reading somewhere (don't know if it's true) that manufacture recommended procedure for old Soviet machines deliberately delayed rotation to use up the whole runway to improve performance in the event of an engine out.

Don't know if there is truth to this, and haven't done any research on the matter, but it makes sense of there's a large delta between (minimum) Vr and V2, and if first and second segment climb gradient are poor at lower speeds.

valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

What we encountered with the Russians in Europe was they were overloaded with their own freight on top of the customer's load. They sold this on the black market in Russia to subsidize their crap salaries. It was always a thrill to watch their departures.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmD5w7z8iDk

"Cessna xxx hold 3 minutes for Wake Turbulence"

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Looks like they got the lift devices up too soon causing a sink . Or they could have had someone on board they wanted to scare .

I knew an amphip guy who like to put tree branches on the struts for a laugh , he never flew through the trees but the Logging crews would always respect any payload restrictions he gave them . Peter sure was a fun guy when flying JIM .

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

GoinVertical wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:08 am I remember reading somewhere (don't know if it's true) that manufacture recommended procedure for old Soviet machines deliberately delayed rotation to use up the whole runway to improve performance in the event of an engine out.

Don't know if there is truth to this, and haven't done any research on the matter, but it makes sense of there's a large delta between (minimum) Vr and V2, and if first and second segment climb gradient are poor at lower speeds.
Not just Soviet machines - Boeing calls it improved climb.

In simple terms if you have a long runway with no close in obstacles you can increase your speeds to give better second segment performance as that is normally where you are most limited. This procedure may allow a higher take-off weight.

The 4 engine jet I fly for a living uses almost the entire runway on any high weight take-off.

Max weight/Max thrust at 30C on an 11000' runway would give 75' crossing the runway end - used to do this almost every week. Initial rate of climb 1200'/min.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
AnonPilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by AnonPilot »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:05 pm
GoinVertical wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 10:08 am I remember reading somewhere (don't know if it's true) that manufacture recommended procedure for old Soviet machines deliberately delayed rotation to use up the whole runway to improve performance in the event of an engine out.

Not just Soviet machines - Boeing calls it improved climb.

In simple terms if you have a long runway with no close in obstacles you can increase your speeds to give better second segment performance as that is normally where you are most limited. This procedure may allow a higher take-off weight.

The 4 engine jet I fly for a living uses almost the entire runway on any high weight take-off.

Max weight/Max thrust at 30C on an 11000' runway would give 75' crossing the runway end - used to do this almost every week. Initial rate of climb 1200'/min.
This.

It was definitely a weird feeling the first time I did an improved climb TO.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

The A340 going out of YYZ used to kiss the light standards on the highway as it departed. All of the older Trans Atlantics used to use up as much as they could.

Sometimes it goes horribly wrong:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xPmjYpl_h5A

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

One of the most exciting things I ever witnessed was the CP DC-10 departing out of YYC for the orient on a hot day in the summer wow they would rotate right on the numbers,and that's a pretty long runway. :shock:

igorcanuck
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by igorcanuck »

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

B727F too,

It doesn't always ends up well...

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

TG wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:07 am
B727F too,

It doesn't always ends up well...
There's a bunch of similar videos where they just get away with it....

My understanding is that on this day there was a slight tailwind component. Hitting the structure on the other side of the road was the final link in the sequence.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

I forget where(australia maybe) the Antonov took out about 150' of chain link fence, and flew with it to afghanistan or something. Great vid

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Blakey »

rigpiggy wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:09 pm I forget where(australia maybe) the Antonov took out about 150' of chain link fence, and flew with it to afghanistan or something. Great vid
A few of the details are a bit different but you may be recalling this one. This was also on landing.

https://aviation-safety.net/database/re ... 20070510-1

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Watched Sterling Airlines take out several approach lights for rwy then 36 with a 18 departure in a 727 advanced with upgross wt of around 213,000 lbs at the time full length 9000 ft sea level and a standard day. He just continued on and we heard nothing more -- just a stand operational day in the 72 world -- LMFAOOoooo :mrgreen:

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Ya, doesn't the 727 have some type of "projection" in the bottom of the tail for preventing tailstrikes?

BMLtech
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by BMLtech »

Heliian wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:20 pm Ya, doesn't the 727 have some type of "projection" in the bottom of the tail for preventing tailstrikes?
Yup,has a tail skid that goes up and down with the gear. Has an energy absorbing crush cartridge with an indicator on the -100 series. Purpose is to save the center engine nozzle which is next in line to hit the pavement.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”