Aug 7, 2020 - Air India Express 737

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Aug 7, 2020 - Air India Express 737

Post by goldeneagle »

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/india-cal ... -1.5678089
============
Aircraft, coming from Dubai, reportedly overshot runway in Calicut
Thomson Reuters · Posted: Aug 07, 2020 12:04 PM ET | Last Updated: 27 minutes ago
Plane crashes on landing in southwest India

1 hour ago 0:30

An Air India Express flight, arriving from Dubai, skidded off the runway in heavy rain at Calicut International Airport. 0:30

At least 15 people were killed and dozens injured when an Air India Express passenger plane overshot the runway and broke into two after landing in the southern city of Calicut in heavy rain on Friday, officials said.

The Boeing-737 flight from Dubai was flying home Indians stranded overseas due to the coronavirus pandemic. There were 190 passengers and crew on board, the civil aviation ministry said in a statement. Among them were 10 infants.

Television footage showed rescue workers moving around the wreckage in pouring rain. The aircraft lay split into at least two chunks after the plane's fuselage sheared apart as it fell into a valley nine metres below, authorities said.

Media reports suggested the plane skidded off a runway, crashing nose-first into the ground.

The Kerala state police chief said at least 15 people had been killed, with at least four passengers stuck the wreckage.
A scene from the immediate aftermath of the accident is seen at Calicut International Airport in Karipur, southern state of Kerala, on Friday. The passengers appear to have been mostly Indian citizens working in the Persian Gulf and returning home. (Reuters TV)

"As per the initial reports, rescue operations are on and passengers are being taken to hospital for medical care," the civil aviation ministry said in the statement.

It said there was no fire on board.
Modi pledges assistance from New Delhi

Prime Minister Narendra Modi expressed his condolences and said his government was in contact with state officials in Kerala and would offer any assistance required.

Local TV news channels showed passengers, some of them lying motionless on stretchers, brought into a hospital surrounded by health workers wearing masks because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Air India Express AXB1344 was a repatriation flight operated by the government to bring Indians home during international travel restrictions due to the spread of the novel coronavirus. Millions of Indians work in Persian Gulf countries.

============
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Aug 7, 2020 - Air India Express 737

Post by boeingboy »

So sad - RIP

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Looks like a tailwind landing in heavy rain.....

India's DGCA reported: "Air India Express AXB1344, B737 Dubai to Calicut, person on board 191, visibility 2000 meter, heavy rain, after landing Runway 10, continued running to end of runway and fall down in the valley and broke down in two pieces." The DGCA have ordered an investigation.

Kozhikode's runway 10/28 is 2845 meters/9330 feet long and features ILS approaches for both runway 10 and 28 as well as VOR approaches to both runways. In addition a NDB approach to runway 10 is published. Neither of the approaches have been NOTAMed unavailable.

Relevant NOTAM:
A1819/20 NOTAMN
Q) VOMF/QMRXX/IV/NBO/A/000/999/
A) VOCL B) 2008071410 C) 2008072130 EST
E) RWY 10/28 NOT AVBL DUE ACFT ACCIDENT

Metars:

VOCL 071430Z 24011KT 2000 -RA SCT003 SCT012 FEW025CB OVC080 24/23 Q1009 TEMPO 1500 -RA BR=
VOCL 071400Z 26012KT 2000 -RA SCT003 SCT012 FEW025CB OVC080 24/23 Q1008 TEMPO 1500 -RA BR=

http://avherald.com/h?article=4daf960f&opt=0

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Did they go off the end, or somewhere off the side?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

look at the avherald link.....off the end

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

I used to fly here regularly - first with the A320 and later with the A330. The company I was flying for was the only foreign operator in Calicut at that time.

Hard to believe they allow 747 and 777 operations at this airport - that's pushing things imho.

Runway 10 has a slight upslope initially followed by a significant downslope. Runway surface was rough.

Had one flight where we couldn't see the Runway at minimums on the ILS RWY 28 due to heavy rain. Made a go-around and 15 seconds later we were in CAVOK conditions. We joined the approach for RWY 10 and landed without any issues.

Had an issue in Calicut where there were claims I had taken off below minimums. The Chief Pilot called me and I explained what I had done and his reply was "I would have done the same". That was the last I heard about that.

They do get some very nasty weather at the airports along the coast.

https://www.indiatoday.in/magazine/the- ... 1999-11-30

A nice analysis of how things (don't) work in that part of the world. They have their own fake Licence problem as well. As usual ICAO knows but turns a blind eye.

Operating in India is some of the most challenging flying I have done.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Taking 10 kts on the tail, to a 9300' runway, even in 1 mile ish vis, and light rain doesn't sound like that bad a decision to me. With 190 SOB, that's an 800 I'd assume?

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

Latest reports state a touchdown 3000' down the runway.

Tailwind on a wet runway with downslope means you need to touchdown at the correct point with the correct speed.

Not much room for error imho.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
LETUN
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by LETUN »

Been there many times in 777. Braking was never an issue. WX can be nasty and due to the terrain on final 28, it has non-standard approach lights (read very few lights!) which makes the minima quite high (2000m VIS from memory) hence using RWY 10 with tailwind.
777 push-back done directly on the runway with 180 turn at the end of the rwy, which is a PITA in 777-300... I really don't miss flying in there.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

LETUN wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:35 am Been there many times in 777. Braking was never an issue. WX can be nasty and due to the terrain on final 28, it has non-standard approach lights (read very few lights!) which makes the minima quite high (2000m VIS from memory) hence using RWY 10 with tailwind.
777 push-back done directly on the runway with 180 turn at the end of the rwy, which is a PITA in 777-300... I really don't miss flying in there.
It has turnaround bays. Should be no problem and no braking required.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

pelmet wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:34 am
LETUN wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:35 am Been there many times in 777. Braking was never an issue. WX can be nasty and due to the terrain on final 28, it has non-standard approach lights (read very few lights!) which makes the minima quite high (2000m VIS from memory) hence using RWY 10 with tailwind.
It has turnaround bays. Should be no problem and no braking required.
A 180 turn on the runway is the most difficult thing you can do on the ground with a large jet imho.

It's not something most people do regularly or something that is routinely trained.

For large jets the radius of turn exceeds the standard runway width of 45m (51m for the aircraft I fly).

Another issue is nose wheel scrubbing/skidding on wet runways - adds to the turn radius.

At night in wet conditions lines/markings may be almost impossible to see.

There's plenty that can go wrong - given the choice I will always take the 90 degree turn from a taxiway.

Appears this aircraft touched down close to taxiway C. Under the prevailing conditions there is not enough runway remaining to stop the aircraft at that point.

That leaves a go-around or an accident as the only 2 possibilities.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Having a ground maneuver camera helps along with gear lighting.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

For us, it’s a captains only landing, as it’s tricky. A black hole effect, upslope followed by a downslope. Uneven throughout. On a normal day it’s challenging, in heavy rain, TS, windy days, it’s a handful.

It always amazes me seeing the Air India 744 at the terminal. Here I am bitching about the place, yet others land a 744 there regularly.

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

As long as airliners continue to land in heavy rain, runway excursions and related accidents will continue.

The aviation industry is looking for its next significant reduction in accidents......this is it.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

pelmet wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:20 am As long as airliners continue to land in heavy rain, runway excursions and related accidents will continue.

The aviation industry is looking for its next significant reduction in accidents......this is it.
System to help prevent this is already available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5nw2Mt3I1I

FlySmart on the iPad can give landing distance data very quickly including abnormal configurations. The issue is that at a lot of these airports they will never report standing water on the runway - runway is always "Wet".

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:34 am
pelmet wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:20 am As long as airliners continue to land in heavy rain, runway excursions and related accidents will continue.

System to help prevent this is already available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5nw2Mt3I1I

FlySmart on the iPad can give landing distance data very quickly including abnormal configurations. The issue is that at a lot of these airports they will never report standing water on the runway - runway is always "Wet".
If there is heavy rain at the airport, I would think that one doesn’t need a report of the runway conditions, especially if it is not grooved.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

pelmet wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:11 am If there is heavy rain at the airport, I would think that one doesn’t need a report of the runway conditions, especially if it is not grooved.
In the tropics weather can change extremely rapidly and be extremely localised. It's possible to have heavy rain and poor visibility at one end of the runway and only light rain and good visibility at the other end. Then 5 minutes later it can be completely different weather.

Dealing with rapidly changing conditions is a normal part of flying in the tropics - as is using the opposite runway and delaying your approach.

They may well have been OK if they'd waited 15 minutes then did a second approach on RWY 28.

To the best of my knowledge no runways in India are grooved.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Weather does not look that bad . Pilots failed to land in the touchdown zone .
Air France 358 did a similar whoopsie in Toronto in an Airbus 340 .Then sued the Airport.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”