Buttonville CYKZ C172 Crash August 24, 2020

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Onesie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Buttonville CYKZ C172 Crash August 24, 2020

Post by Onesie »

Relax ladies.. he got minor injuries... that's what makes it funny... it'd be a whole different tone of he went in... sorry i have a darker humor than you. This is going to be a great training tool for future students... to know the importance of the red thingy.. and maybe not think 'go around' is always the best answer if the landing is so botched. Obviously wasn't ready for solos... crosswind landings shouldn't be student death traps
---------- ADS -----------

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Definitely not ready.

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

Onesie wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:47 am Relax ladies.. he got minor injuries... that's what makes it funny... it'd be a whole different tone of he went in... sorry i have a darker humor than you. This is going to be a great training tool for future students... to know the importance of the red thingy.. and maybe not think 'go around' is always the best answer if the landing is so botched. Obviously wasn't ready for solos... crosswind landings shouldn't be student death traps
How mature. Anyone who thinks your comment was out of line is automatically a (weaker) female. I’m surprised you didn’t use Trump’s favourite “P” word.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

to know the importance of the red thingy.
When I have time during the emergency, I would move the red thingy. However, assuming that the throttle was still functioning as design, closing the throttle would reduce the effective power by enough to allow the plane to slow. And moving the mixture to idle cutoff has a little delay in stopping the engine (though no much at full power!), but I'd still close the throttle first, while controlling the plane the best I could.

And, if a pilot is struggling with controls, in might be a stretch in a hyper emergency to remember to depress the button in the middle of the mixture - the throttle has no button, and will just close for the pull.

I agree, there probably is no published emergency procedure for careening toward a hangar following landing, but if there were, I doubt that ICO on the mixture would be top of the list....

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

waterdog wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:27 pm Canadian Flyers definitely had a bad week. One student flys a plane into a hanger and then a couple of days later they lose a plane to an engine failure! Thankfully there was no lose of life and it seems like not even any serious injuries. Sure makes you wonder what happens to their insurance.....?
Its not the first time they had a week like that. They survived last time.

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

challenger_nami wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:40 am the moment I laugh at someone’s misfortune
It's hard not to laugh at that video. It's like Abbot and Costello. I'm glad the dude wasn't hurt and I hope he learns from it and goes on to great things in aviation. In fact, someday, many years from now I hope someone plays that video at his retirement party. :smt040

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm In fact, someday, many years from now I hope someone plays that video at his retirement party. :smt040

Haha. Now THAT would be funny in an awesome way :lol:

Last edited by challenger_nami on Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
Onesie
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Onesie »

Yeah sorry folks.. that 'ladies' comment was a bit insensitive... i do hope he gets back up and perseveres. Trump is a loser. I hope to never be compared to him again.😅

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

challenger_nami wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:20 pm
tsgarp wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:55 pm In fact, someday, many years from now I hope someone plays that video at his retirement party. :smt040

Hey, I have an idea. We can invite the two clowns I quoted to the party show them their bank account having had the value of the aircraft and hangar as a deduction. Wouldn't that be funny instead of all of us having to pay for it.

The looks on their faces would be hilarious.

Dipsh_ts.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Ironically , after the video link played an "Instructor " was demonstrating how to land a Cessna 182 . I could not believe he was serious . They sure know how to make something as simple as flying confusing with inaccurate gibberish technospeak .

No wonder the Donald employs people to fly his Boeing Business jets :)

tsgarp
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tsgarp »

Dh8Classic wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:45 pm

Hey, I have an idea. We can invite the two clowns I quoted to the party show them their bank account having had the value of the aircraft and hangar as a deduction. Wouldn't that be funny instead of all of us having to pay for it.

Dipsh_ts.
A few items in rebuttal:

1). I don’t see myself accepting an invitation to any parties you host; you strike me as the sort of dull eyed and slow witted individual whose lack of ability for big picture abstract thought just takes the wind out of the sails of witty repartee.

2). We’re all paying the insurance companies regardless of how many hangars and aircraft get written off. This incident only represents a minor dip in their profits, (which, quite frankly, I thought an ANTIFA / communist / progressive such as yourself would be in favour of).

3). Laughing at a situation and not learning from it is buffoonery. Not seeing the humour in a situation is thick wittedness. Seeing the humour in a situation and learning from it, well that’s being a smart, and potentially a bit of an ass hole.

Have an awesome day!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I’m afraid if you’ve tried to get aircraft insurance this year and noticed the 30% to 60% rise in premiums for piston singles because of very high claims, you might feel less dismissive about this accident.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

This accident was profoundly preventable. Insurance should be there for accidents which are much less preventable. Though this pilot meant no malice to our industry, non the less, he was unable to manage an entirely manageable situation, and we will all see an insurance rise because of that. Happily no one was hurt, that will raise our insurance much more.

So, the best thing we (those of us who would like to keep insurance low) can do is to support our peers and our industry to encourage and mentor these preventable accidents away. If we can support new pilots to not have these accidents,we save ourselves insurance increases, and help our industry have a better safety record.

I have seen so many videos, some being "ooo, that could have been me, I've done that!" through to "gad, I'd never think to allow myself to get in that situation!" that hopefully we can highlight these videos so new pilots see the gravity of the situation, accident, or accident prevented. When I was a student pilot, at best we could read the accident reports, and try to imagine what happened, and what errors or omissions enabled the accident. And, if it was a near miss, nothing other than flying club tales. Now, we can watch the multiple horrifying events in full colour, and slow motion, over and over again. As long as in watching we see what's there to be seen - the pilot could have done better! I've stopped watching the Valdez STOL videos, because they terrify me for the needless extended VX climb outs - a severe accident waiting to happen if the engine farts. But for a learning tool of how not to climb away, few videos could be better.

So I'm not laughing at this pilot, and I certainly can't laugh with him, but the video is an excellent learning tool, and should be shown to every student pilot with a briefing! Or, our airplanes will become uninsurable - literally!

Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

tsgarp wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:14 pm
Dh8Classic wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:45 pm

Dipsh_ts.
A few items in rebuttal:

1). I don’t see myself accepting an invitation to any parties you host; you strike me as the sort of dull eyed and slow witted individual whose lack of ability for big picture abstract thought just takes the wind out of the sails of witty repartee.

Seeing the humour in a situation, well that’s being ............an ass hole.

Have an awesome day!
Some words deleted to be more precise.
photofly wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:34 pm I’m afraid if you’ve tried to get aircraft insurance this year and noticed the 30% to 60% rise in premiums for piston singles because of very high claims, you might feel less dismissive about this accident.
That is why I called him out for what he is.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Question for the OP: what’s the story behind the video recording, and how did it reach you, to be able to post it on YouTube?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

Dh8Classic,
I could, but I won’t come down and meet you at your level .

I don’t believe your type of personality deserves to be on this forum ... let’s see how the forum moderators deal with your immaturity and vulgarity.

Good luck

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
Dh8Classic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dh8Classic »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 4:52 am Dh8Classic,
I could, but I won’t come down and meet you at your level .

I don’t believe your type of personality deserves to be on this forum ... let’s see how the forum moderators deal with your immaturity and vulgarity.

Good luck
Well thank you very much for showing us about maturity and the type of personality that deserves to be on a forum.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:34 pm I’m afraid if you’ve tried to get aircraft insurance this year and noticed the 30% to 60% rise in premiums for piston singles because of very high claims, you might feel less dismissive about this accident.
That is not (only) why premiums are higher across the insurance industry.

Read about them refusing to insure some condo buildings....it's low interest rates, which hurt insurers. They aren't healthy.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/sort-of-unprecede ... -1.4813256

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Interest rates have been low since 2008, but my premium went up 35% this year, and that was an unusually low hike.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

photofly wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:01 am Interest rates have been low since 2008, but my premium went up 35% this year, and that was an unusually low hike.
There is a long term cumulative effect. The entire insurance industry has pulled back sharply in the last year or 2.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”