Crash Landing in Upland CA ( not new)

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Crash Landing in Upland CA ( not new)

Post by challenger_nami »

Incredible video (not new):
https://youtu.be/WX2H3H8w--s

NTSB PRELIMINARY REPORT:
“On June 24, 2020, about 1145 Pacific daylight time, a Thatcher CX4, N274DR, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident at Cable Airport (CCB), Upland, California. The pilot was seriously injured. The airplane was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 personal flight.

The pilot reported that he was returning to CCB following an uneventful local flight when the propeller separated from the engine. He was about 1 mile from the airport at an altitude of about 1,100 ft above ground level (agl) at the time. The pilot said that oil covered the windscreen and canopy, restricting forward visibility; however, he continued to fly toward the airport. When the airplane crossed the threshold of the runway, it was about 50 ft agl, and "going way too fast," as he was trying to look out to the side to keep the airplane aligned with the runway. The airplane touched down near the end of the runway and bounced. As it neared a large dirt berm, the pilot applied full left rudder, but the airplane impacted the ground and came to rest upright.

Postaccident examination of the airplane by the pilot revealed that both wings and fuselage were structurally damaged. The propeller assembly and a portion of the engine crankshaft was separated and not located.”
---------- ADS -----------

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Crash Landing in Upland CA ( not new)

Post by PilotDAR »

A few thoughts; Yes, oil on the windshield can be a problem, 'done that a couple of times. Loosing the prop is going to result in an aft C of G, though that did not seem to be a factor, and you're going to glide further than you expect based on regular idle approaches. Gliding farther did seem to be a factor here.

The pilot's final approach was hardly stable, which was a factor in his never really contacting the ground under control. This would have been an ideal circumstance to sideslip. You'll be looking out of the cleaner area of the windshield, and the oil will be going the other way, and you'll loose altitude more rapidly. Whether that would have enabled a stop on the runway can't be certain, but he could have had a stable approach, with more things going in his favour.

When you're practicing forced landings, which I know we all do regularly, not only practice gliding to the ideal spot up ahead, with all the turns and checks along the way, but also practice as if the spot just underneath you is the only practical place to force land, and you have to tuck it in there. How will you maneuver to force land into a place which is too close for a normal glide, and you're not high enough to glide a circuit to loose altitude.

A final thought, the announcer mentions that after being assisted out by emergency personnel, the pilot was up and walking around. That's wrong. The only time a patient of an event like that should be walking around right afterword, is if he's running from the fire. Otherwise, immobilize the patient horizontally. The broken vertebrae may not be evident right away, and may be a big problem later. Less walking and less motion is better.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Those are all good points PilotDAR.

Additionally, I wonder if the pilot had brought the power to ideal before or even AFTER the initial touch down.

Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
Cliff Jumper
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Cliff Jumper »

challenger_nami wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:11 am Those are all good points PilotDAR.

Additionally, I wonder if the pilot had brought the power to ideal before or even AFTER the initial touch down.
Sarcasm is so hard to spot in text.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Cliff Jumper wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:16 am
challenger_nami wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:11 am Those are all good points PilotDAR.

Sarcasm is so hard to spot in text.
Haha ... I did not intend any sarcasm in my text though.

Bavros
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Bavros »

Surely irrelevant No? The propeller had already separated from the aircraft.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Bavros wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:05 am Surely irrelevant No? The propeller had already separated from the aircraft.
Yes You are correct. I just can’t understand why the aircraft seems to get energy after the first touchdown.

And I am surprised they have not found the prop at the time of writing the NTSB report, at least 2 months after the accident.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”