How well do you know your fuel tanks

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

How well do you know your fuel tanks

Post by pelmet »

Or fuel rate of consumption. Might not want to try a max range flight on your first flight......

"C-GQIF, a privately registered wheel-equipped Bellanca 8GCBC Scout aircraft, was conducting a
flight from Minaki (CJA6) ON, to Estevan (CYEN) SK with the pilot and 1 passenger on-board.
Approximately 1/2 hour from CYEN the engine (AVCO LYCOMING, O-360-C2E) lost all power.
The pilot conducted a forced landing onto a field. The occupants were uninjured and the aircraft
sustained damage to its left wing and right side landing gear.

The aircraft had just been purchased by the pilot. Prior to departure, the fuel quantity onboard had
been calculated to be enough for 5 hours of flight while the flight planning indicated a 4 to 4.5 hour
flight to the destination. It was reported that the fuel tanks were empty during a post-incident
aircraft examination."
---------- ADS -----------

Blakey
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: How well do you know your fuel tanks

Post by Blakey »

Do you have a CADOR number for this event? I can't seem to find it in the database.

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not after you!
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

It’s amazing how many Fuel Exhaustion events happen in aviation....it’s the easiest type of event to prevent.

Some Pilots love to run their fuel tanks low:
aside from the risk of running the tanks dry, we should note that there are always some sediments and dirty fuel at the bottom of fuel tanks.

It’s a good practice not to let the fuel level in the tanks go too low... your engine will love you and you won’t have to land on a field in the middle of nowhere...because you ran out of fuel.

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

challenger_nami wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:37 am It’s amazing how many Fuel Exhaustion events happen in aviation....it’s the easiest type of event to prevent.

Some Pilots love to run their fuel tanks low:
aside from the risk of running the tanks dry, we should note that there are always some sediments and dirty

It’s a good practice not to let the fuel level in the tanks go too low... your engine will love you and you won’t have to land on a field in the middle of nowhere...because you ran out of fuel.
So how many gallons of "Fuel I Shouldn't Use" do you suggest I carry in a plane with 6 fuel tanks? Not some exotic plane by the way, fairly common set up in airplanes with tip tanks. If you don't want to run a tank dry, and add 2 gallons per tank for that, you just lost an additional hour of flying.

Run the tanks dry frequently, drain properly, and there won't be an issue either.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

digits_ wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:07 am
So how many gallons of "Fuel I Shouldn't Use" do you suggest I carry in a plane with 6 fuel tanks? Not some exotic plane by the way, fairly common set up in airplanes with tip tanks. If you don't want to run a tank dry, and add 2 gallons per tank for that, you just lost an additional hour of flying.

Run the tanks dry frequently, drain properly, and there won't be an issue either.
I hope you got my point, Cuz I am not going to repeat myself... if you did not, don’t think about it too much. Just keep what you want to do... you know your airplane more than most other people.

If You are concerned about that one hour of flying out of your aircraft’s fuel tanks, maybe ask the pilot of C-GQIF.
(S)He got all of the flying possible out of those fuel tanks. Can you do better than that?

Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

If you have a fuel flow meter, it's quite enlightening. The carbureted O-360 burns about 12gph at 75% power before leaning, and fuel flow after leaning can vary by at least 1gph depending on how you've leaned it. Climb is about 14 or 15 gph, and it's burning 2gph all the time you're farting about on the ground. You can get it down to 7.5gph in economy cruise.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

challenger_nami wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:30 am
digits_ wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:07 am

I hope you got my point, Cuz I am not going to repeat myself... if you did not, don’t think about it too much. Just keep what you want to do... you know your airplane more than most other people.

If You are concerned about that one hour of flying out of your aircraft’s fuel tanks, maybe ask the pilot of C-GQIF.
(S)He got all of the flying possible out of those fuel tanks. Can you do better than that?
I got your point and I disagree with it. Running a tank dry is not necessarily a big deal. It can be safer on longer trips than not running a tank dry.
That Bellanca scout had at least 2 fuel tanks, probably more. Know your airplane, yes, but just "not running a tank dry" is useless advice, sometimes even dangerous. In small airplanes, the only time you are absolutely sure how much fuel is in a tank, is when it's either full or empty. So use that information when available. Obviously don't runn *all* your tanks dry. And some planes do have limitations about fuel in certain tanks during landing, but it still gives you a lot of leeway to play with your fuel.

If you need to resort to "don't run a tank dry" due to a lack of knowledge of your fuel system, then the problem is your lack of knowledge of your fuel system, not the "running a tank dry".

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

challenger_nami wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:37 am we should note that there are always some sediments and dirty fuel at the bottom of fuel tanks.
All aircraft fuel systems draw fuel from low points in the tank. If there is enough contaminant it will be drawn to the engine whether there is one gallon or 100 gallons of fuel.

That is why there are fuel sumps that are checked as per the aircraft manufactures recommendations. You must make sure all contaminants are removed and only clean, correct fuel is present for flight.

As previously stated, many aircraft fuel systems require some fuel tanks to be completely emptied to meet the calculated range and reserve fuel requirements.

Once again, following the aircraft manufactures procedures will produce planned results.

porcsord
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by porcsord »

challenger_nami wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:37 am It’s a good practice not to let the fuel level in the tanks go too low... your engine will love you and you won’t have to land on a field in the middle of nowhere...because you ran out of fuel.
What? You clearly have never flown in shit weather in a Beaver for example. Would you rather have 5 gallons in each of your three tanks or 15 gallons in one tank? If you've ever had to worry about weather, mountains, etc I can guarantee you would take 15 gallons in 1. It's actually even worse than that, because when you switch off a tank that isn't empty, you don't know how much fuel you left in it. It's easy and safe to drain tanks and not scare your passengers or yourself.

Ps

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

porcsord wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 pm
challenger_nami wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:37 am It’s a good practice not to let the fuel level in the tanks go too low... your engine will love you and you won’t have to land on a field in the middle of nowhere...because you ran out of fuel.
What? You clearly have never flown in shit weather in a Beaver for example. Would you rather have 5 gallons in each of your three tanks or 15 gallons in one tank? If you've ever had to worry about weather, mountains, etc I can guarantee you would take 15 gallons in 1. It's actually even worse than that, because when you switch off a tank that isn't empty, you don't know how much fuel you left in it. It's easy and safe to drain tanks and not scare your passengers or yourself.

Ps
Nope. I am not a float pilot, and flying beavers don’t interest me.
My flying is in the flight levels, where I prefer to be.

It’s funny that you and couple of other posters probably misunderstood my Original point and are running with it in the wrong direction.

Just do what you do ... just don’t run out of fuel like the aircraft in the original post.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

J31 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:12 am All aircraft fuel systems draw fuel from low points in the tank. If there is enough contaminant it will be drawn to the engine whether there is one gallon or 100 gallons of fuel.
If the contaminant is something that floats on top of the fuel then it won’t enter the engine until the tank is emptied.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
valleyboy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by valleyboy »

Back in the day "blowing" tanks was SOP - fuel gauges (except for maybe the whoredyne) were always considered unreliable and the only known quantity was either full or a measured quantity into an M/T tank. This is turning into a trip down memory lane.

When I started flying pilots, fuel and equipment did not enter into load calculation. Aircraft had "standard" loads. (180 600 lbs, 185 750, beaver 1200, norsemen 1800 and beech 18 2400) and it did not matter distance or if you were on floats, wheel or skis. Gross weights were not entered into log book and "under gross or W/L" were written in that column. No weight and balance calculations. Training and mentor-ship on how to properly load your aircraft was the flavour of the day.

The point is that we always were on the "fat" side of fuel requirements and people who ran low on fuel was usually because they out thought the issue and their calculations were too optimistic. Back then it was always important to have sufficient fuel (no fuel stops), even if the T/O weight crept up (remember standard loads).

Times have certainly changed and sometimes when I see threads like this I have to wonder if theory and tech has trumped common sense.

Black air has no lift - extra fuel has no weight
http://www.blackair.ca
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

J31 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:12 am
challenger_nami wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:37 am we should note that there are always some sediments and dirty fuel at the bottom of fuel tanks.
All aircraft fuel systems draw fuel from low points in the tank. If there is enough contaminant it will be drawn to the engine whether there is one gallon or 100 gallons of fuel.

That is why there are fuel sumps that are checked as per the aircraft manufactures recommendations. You must make sure all contaminants are removed and only clean, correct fuel is present for flight.

As previously stated, many aircraft fuel systems require some fuel tanks to be completely emptied to meet the calculated range and reserve fuel requirements.

Once again, following the aircraft manufactures procedures will produce planned results.
You are right about that. I drive a fuel truck for a living, they draw from the bottom. If there is any water or crap in a compartment the 1st customer of the day will get it, not the last one when you run it dry.

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

[quote][/quote]porcsord wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:03 pm

challenger_nami wrote: ↑Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:37 am

Porcsord , lives in the real world, well stated and worth highlighting.

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

photofly wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:49 am
J31 wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:12 am All aircraft fuel systems draw fuel from low points in the tank. If there is enough contaminant it will be drawn to the engine whether there is one gallon or 100 gallons of fuel.
If the contaminant is something that floats on top of the fuel then it won’t enter the engine until the tank is emptied.
What kind of contaminant would be floating on top of the fuel?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

J31 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:18 amWhat kind of contaminant would be floating on top of the fuel?
Bread.
Apples.
Very small rocks.
Cider.
Grape gravy.
Cherries.
Mum
Churches, churches.
Lead, lead.
A duck.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

What about tanks that transfer into another tank? Does a king air pilot need to leave fuel in the aux tanks (contrary to the AFM)?

Pretty sure this thread should have been called "how well do you know your engine(s)? Sounds like this guy knew his fuel tanks quite well, but didn't know his engine burned a little more than normal.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

goingnowherefast wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:27 pm What about tanks that transfer into another tank? Does a king air pilot need to leave fuel in the aux tanks (contrary to the AFM)?

Which King Air type are you actually referring to? ... by that I mean: on which type do you have actual flying experience?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:50 pm
goingnowherefast wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:27 pm What about tanks that transfer into another tank? Does a king air pilot need to leave fuel in the aux tanks (contrary to the AFM)?

Which King Air type are you actually referring to? ... by that I mean: on which type do you have actual flying experience?

I have a little time in the A100 and B200... and I will echo his question: how much fuel should I leave in the Aux tanks? It’s easy to turn aux transfer off in the BE10, but IIRC in the BE20 you have to pull CBs if you don’t want it to continue transferring until the Aux’s are empty.

How about in an Airbus? Should I be turning off the centre tank pumps in the A319/320 when the fuel in the centre tanks reaches a certain level? Is it different in the 321 with its centre tank transfer system? Or with Additional Centre Tanks do you have to leave a few kilos of fuel Untransferred? AC has their own procedure wrt centre tank pumps that differs from Airbus’s, but do they all have it wrong?

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:50 pm

... by that I mean: on which type do you have actual flying experience?

Who cares. You're the one advocating a procedure that goes against a dozen or more flight manuals. One could reasonable expect the onus of proof lies with you.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”