Plane Crash Near Throsby AB 2 Fatalities

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Plane Crash Near Throsby AB 2 Fatalities

Post by 780Pilot »

https://globalnews.ca/news/7361727/thor ... rash-rcmp/

Not much information. Anyone have any news on it yet?
---------- ADS -----------

Corsham
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: Plane Crash Near Throsby AB 2 Fatalities

Post by Corsham »

Rumour going around it was a Harmon Rocket.

Oldguystrtn2fly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Oldguystrtn2fly »

Harmon rocket out of CYRM. Pilot and his wife.

Mick G
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Mick G »

Just looked up Harmen Rocket. Looks like a fun little unit

Corsham
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Corsham »

The Alberta General Aviation Facebook page has more info, pilot was well known and influential in the GA world, aerobatic community and at CYRM airport

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Late news last night reported something about a powerline down adjacent to the scene... Could be coincidental, or maybe it was a strike?

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

Ken Fowler out of Rocky Mountain House. I know more about the crash, but I'll leave it at that as many people already know it was him involved. He was a good friend of mine and a big inspiration for me as a kid. Had the privilege of flying with him a few times. He put our small town on the GA map and inspired a ton of pilots, including myself. I had a voicemail on my phone when I landed this morning. Devastated to hear the news. Sincere condolences to Wendy and the boys.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
flyingnorm
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by flyingnorm »

Sorry about your loss.

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by youhavecontrol »

https://globalnews.ca/news/7362869/thor ... g8QDIk0G5I

Here's a link to the latest Global news article about it.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

This has been a bad year for losing flying friends. Not sure what CYRM will do without him. Terrible news. :(

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

Some more info here:

https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/2-dead-in-p ... bypyyuaqxg

Crashed near the entrance to Strawberry Creek raceway. The CTV report says no airports anywhere near there, but there is an airstrip at Strawberry Creek. which can be seen on google maps satellite view, and in pics on their facebook page, so presumably he was landing there. The downed power lines right next to the raceway would suggest that is what caused the crash.

Track log seems to indicate normal descent to landing:

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFZ ... Z/tracklog

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:21 amCrashed near the entrance to Strawberry Creek raceway. The CTV report says no airports anywhere near there, but there is an airstrip at Strawberry Creek. which can be seen on google maps satellite view, and in pics on their facebook page, so presumably he was landing there. The downed power lines right next to the raceway would suggest that is what caused the crash.
Interesting. The report says line crews were working in the area... I wonder if it's possible that they just installed new lines, that Ken didn't know about. Still, the lines don't appear to be near the runway, in fact the roads that they would likely come in on would seem to put the lines well away from the runway. If he hit something that far outside the circuit he'd need to be flying unusually low. The FlightAware track doesn't seem to capture any speed or altitude variations that might suggest he was practising a low-level routine.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

AirFrame wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:31 am
CpnCrunch wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:21 amCrashed near the entrance to Strawberry Creek raceway. The CTV report says no airports anywhere near there, but there is an airstrip at Strawberry Creek. which can be seen on google maps satellite view, and in pics on their facebook page, so presumably he was landing there. The downed power lines right next to the raceway would suggest that is what caused the crash.
Interesting. The report says line crews were working in the area... I wonder if it's possible that they just installed new lines, that Ken didn't know about. Still, the lines don't appear to be near the runway, in fact the roads that they would likely come in on would seem to put the lines well away from the runway. If he hit something that far outside the circuit he'd need to be flying unusually low. The FlightAware track doesn't seem to capture any speed or altitude variations that might suggest he was practising a low-level routine.
If you look at the pics on fb you can see there is a line running what appears to be N-S along the western side of the property, on the entrance to the property (mid-way between range road 20 and 21). If that line continues further N past the main building, it would be right at the NW threshold of the runway. (I'm assuming the runway is that grass strip that runs NW-SE along the top of the property). He may also have been landing along that strip of grass that runs N-S along the western edge of the property.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

How about we give all the speculation a rest for now.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

On avcanada? Doubtful.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

CpnCrunch wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:12 pmIf you look at the pics on fb you can see there is a line running what appears to be N-S along the western side of the property, on the entrance to the property (mid-way between range road 20 and 21). If that line continues further N past the main building, it would be right at the NW threshold of the runway. (I'm assuming the runway is that grass strip that runs NW-SE along the top of the property).
I suppose that's possible, but looking at google earth, there's nothing north of the property for powerlines to run to... So it seems unlikely there would be any at that end of the runway (assuming as you do that the NW-SE strip is the strip).
He may also have been landing along that strip of grass that runs N-S along the western edge of the property.
I suppose. It looks longer, but doesn't have the appearance of a runway like the other strip does. And the Rocket isn't really a "pick a random piece of grass" airplane.
trey kule wrote:How about we give all the speculation a rest for now.
If any speculation were disrespectful of the participants in any way, I would agree. Clarifying the facts is a little different than speculating on the cause or passing judgement.

duke1000
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by duke1000 »

anofly
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by anofly »

I am so sorry .
Condolences.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-FZXS, an amateur-built Harmon Rocket II, was conducting a low level flight approximately 24
NM W of Edmonton (CYEG), AB with a pilot and one passenger on board. The aircraft struck a
power line and then collided with terrain. Both occupants received fatal injuries and there was a
post-impact fire.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”