Plane Crash Near Throsby AB 2 Fatalities

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

linecrew
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Plane Crash Near Throsby AB 2 Fatalities

Post by linecrew »

Unfortunately it seems that all of the speculation was spot on.

This was a very unfortunate accident.
---------- ADS -----------

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

linecrew wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:33 am Unfortunately it seems that all of the speculation was spot on.
Appears to have been an impromptu low flyby along a section of the racetrack. Beyond where the racetrack made a sharp turn at the edge of the property was a road.

Of course, TC would frown on any unapproved low flyby, even along a runway at a large airport. But crossing a road during a low level fly-by, definitely increases the risk of a wire strike significantly. Something to be aware of if you insist on doing a low level fly-by.

Last edited by pelmet on Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

pelmet wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:54 pm
Of course, TC would frown on any unapproved low flyby, even along a runway at a large airport.
Are you even a licensed aviator Pelmet?

I’m only asking as you are saying that the regulator would “frown on a low flyby at a large airport”.

Guess I’m lucky that Transport hasn’t nailed me to a crucifix every time I have gone missed!

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:05 pm
pelmet wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:54 pm
Of course, TC would frown on any unapproved low flyby, even along a runway at a large airport.
Are you even a licensed aviator Pelmet?

I’m only asking as you are saying that the regulator would “frown on a low flyby at a large airport”.

Guess I’m lucky that Transport hasn’t nailed me to a crucifix every time I have gone missed!
Folks, beware of advice from pilots who ask 'are you an aviator". While a quick search turned up little for Transport Canada, you might want to read this article about the FAA. I doubt TC would be much different.

https://blog.aopa.org/aopa/2011/07/13/p ... e-airport/

When someone mixes up a missed approach with a high-speed low level flyby with a pull-up at the end(as appears to have happened in this accident), perhaps one should ask if they are an aviator, or at least a competent one.

Getting back to the accident, the pilot was extremely experienced in low level maneuvering, and certainly capable of successfully completing it from an aerodynamic point of view(much more so than most of us), but obviously didn’t consider the potential of a wire hazard associated with the nearby road.

Perhaps an agpilot would have been extremely aware of such a hazard.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”