Nanchang CJ-6 down in Victoria BC

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Nanchang CJ-6 down in Victoria BC

Post by Human Factor »

https://www.cheknews.ca/vintage-plane-c ... rt-708529/
201010-CHEK-Nanchung-Plane-Landing-YYJ-1024x576.jpg
201010-CHEK-Nanchung-Plane-Landing-YYJ-1024x576.jpg (132.47 KiB) Viewed 3451 times
---------- ADS -----------

Will fix airplanes for food.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Nanchang CJ-6 down in Victoria BC

Post by co-joe »

Is that the one from Nanaimo?

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by J31 »

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Thanks J31, what a beautiful aeroplane. Looks like a good landing to me.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Looks like a cheap Yak knock off :)

Human Factor
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Human Factor »

With Made-In-China landing gear, apparently. :wink:

Will fix airplanes for food.
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

2R wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 pm Looks like a cheap Yak knock off :)
It may be a knock-off, but it was a lot more sucessful than the original Yak. At least, based on the numbers of them you see flying today.

The Yak was designed to land gear-up as well. I guess Russian and Chinese students are no different in forgetting to extend the gear from time to time... (not that that's what happened here... In this case it was a failure of the gear mechanism, not the pilot).

Last edited by AirFrame on Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Just to be clear, this wasn't a case of forgetting to lower the gear!

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Just to be clear, this wasn't a case of forgetting to lower the gear!
That's what I was thinking, having met this pilot, and appreciated his professionalism.

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Pratt X 3 »

The pilot of a privately registered Nanchang CJ6A from Victoria, BC (CYYJ) to Victoria, BC (CYYJ) reported that they were unable to extend their landing gear. The Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting (ARFF) unit was put on standby. The aircraft landed on Runway 21 with the landing gear retracted and slid off the end of the runway. ARFF responded. An inbound de Havilland DHC-8-400 aircraft was extended on the approach in order to accommodate the landing.
CADORS: Report

Have Pratts - Will Travel
2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

Landing gear up ,I would take a runway over dirt . If you catch an edge or something digs in hard into the dirt, or find a ditch you can cause more damage to the aircraft and the you may experience side loaded rotational g forces that will snap your neck .
If the gear does not come down on my aircraft ,it now belongs to the insurance company and I will do everything to get as low an energy landing as possible onto a hard surface where I can dissipate the energy straight ahead and minimize any injuries to me or my pax . Wings level , ball centered as long as possible Catching a wing tip can cause side loads that can kill .
Let the skid plates on the belly do their job . Metal is cheaper to fix than flesh and blood . You can replace skid plates cheaper than a bent spar .
As low an energy touchdown as the wind will allow will keeping control for a stable approach . The toughest gear problem landing would be any two down and one up . In that case I would get the gear up and find a long runway preferable one with crash fire rescue service ready to rescue me or the pax .
Do not hesitate to call for the CFR equipment, your future self will thank you :)

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

Although the pilot did a great job getting the plane on the ground with minimal damage and no injuries, the fact that the aircraft slid off the end of the runway caught my eye on this one. I don't know what this pilot did, but this is what I would be thinking about if I was in this situation.

First off, I would hope there was some reason he chose to land on R/W 21 (5000'), rather than R/W 27/09 (7000'). I can think of a few off the top of my head: crosswind, runway condition/closure, obstacles on short final or end/side of the runway, R/W shortened by notam.

Second, I would hope that he was in the flare, at Vref (or equivalent), full flaps (if possible), at some point before the threshold. With the reduced drag from not having the gear down, I'm guessing this aircraft would float at least 2 times as far as normal, probably more. Maybe I would try a low and over in the landing configuration to see if I could get an idea how much longer the float would be.

I once witnessed a light twin do a gear up landing and talked to the pilot after about how it went and what he would have done differently. At about 200' the pilot shut down, feathered, and hit the starter button to get the props horizontal on both engines. There was lots of discussion whether or not this was a good Idea. No chance of a go-around, doing all this in the flare, aerodynamic changes on short final, etc. I suppose it would be a personal decision.

So, after he has done this, he flares at the threshold (I don't know how fast he was going), and proceeds to float halfway down the 6000' runway, until he just nosed down and forced it on, and slid to a stop about 1000' short of the end of the runway. No injuries or fire, just scraped the belly. He told me he probably could have floated down the whole runway if he wanted.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

The winds were Slightly favouring RWY 21, by about only 20 degrees. See the attached METAR from CYYJ at the time of incident at around 1900 ZULU.

Maybe he also chose RWY 21 as a courtesy to Victoria International (CYYJ) to reduce the possibility of impact on the airport operation.

Had he chosen to land on RWY 27/09, if things went sideways and the aircraft broke up on landing and there was debris everywhere, the whole Victoria International Airport’s 3 runways could have been potentially shut down for hours. Have a look at the attached airport diagram for CYYJ.

By landing on RWY 21 and touching down past 27/09, he minimized the potential impact on RWY 27/09 operation.

He did not have to do that, but if what I said was his intention, he deserves credit.
Then again, if things did not work as well as they did here, he would be criticized for not choosing the longest runway, if the wind was not the deciding factor,

Airport Diagram and METAR attached.

Attachments
04262B4D-B80E-4A7E-837A-EF6BEC964C7E.jpeg
04262B4D-B80E-4A7E-837A-EF6BEC964C7E.jpeg (1.11 MiB) Viewed 2058 times
412422BE-93C5-4F47-AE82-AED4388D6E0B.jpeg
412422BE-93C5-4F47-AE82-AED4388D6E0B.jpeg (833.94 KiB) Viewed 2101 times
Last edited by challenger_nami on Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

2R wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:44 pm Looks like a cheap Yak knock off :)
Actually, it is an upgraded Yak-18 - Wikipedia CJ6https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanchang_CJ-6.

There are no hydraulics, only pneumatics a normal system and an emergency system both of which would be used to get the landing gear down. It's a pretty simple system and a pretty simple aircraft. I have had one for a year and love it.

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:24 pm The winds were Slightly favouring RWY 21, by about only 20 degrees. See the attached METAR from CYYJ at the time of incident at around 1900 ZULU.

Maybe he also chose RWY 21 as a courtesy to Victoria International (CYYJ) to reduce the possibility of impact on the airport operation.

Had he chosen to land on RWY 27/09, if things went sideways and the aircraft broke up on landing and there was debris everywhere, the whole Victoria International Airport’s 3 runways could have been potentially shut down for hours. Have a look at the attached airport diagram for CYYJ.

By landing on RWY 21 and touching down past 27/09, he minimized the potential impact on RWY 27/09 operation.

He did not have to do that, but if what I said was his intention, he deserves credit.
Then again, if things did not work as well as they did here, he would be criticized for not choosing the longest runway, if the wind was not the deciding factor,

Airport Diagram and METAR attached.
Did he actually touch down past 27/09?

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

airway wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:36 pm the fact that the aircraft slid off the end of the runway caught my eye on this one.
Did he actually touch down past 27/09?
I don’t know for a fact, PURE SPECULATION. But if he slid off the end of 21, I don’t think he touched down at/before 27/09 if he approached on the proper Ref speed.

I could be wrong, if he came in too fast, he maybe he could have sled the whole length of the 5000’ runway.

Does anyone else know for a fact where he touched down?

Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
jakeandelwood
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by jakeandelwood »

maybe he veered off to the right of 21? that looks like Nicholson manfacturing on the right by the open door of the firetruck.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

I heard yesterday that the only damage was to the propellor and the tail skid. I guess that means the flaps weren't lowered either.

As for aiming for the threshold... No. He shut the engine down to be sure it wasn't damaged, so probably aimed 1/3 down the runway to be sure he had a buffer in case his timing was off. As someone pointed out, with no drag from the gear, and likely no drag from the flap, he floated farther than expected and ended up touching down somewhere within the last 1000' of the runway and sliding off the end.

There's no way he touched down north of the east-west runway and slid that far without power.

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

. Does anyone else know for a fact where he touched down?

Does it really matter? Minimal damage. No one hurt.
Picking it apart Is a bit unnecessary.

If I had to skid my plane in, I would be more than a little put out to read all the computer Captains sitting, back, relaxing, and second guessing me.

Looks to me that he did a darn good job after finding himself in a bad situation.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

trey kule wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:50 pm
. Does anyone else know for a fact where he touched down?

Does it really matter? Minimal damage. No one hurt.
Picking it apart Is a bit unnecessary.

If I had to skid my plane in, I would be more than a little put out to read all the computer Captains sitting, back, relaxing, and second guessing me.

Looks to me that he did a darn good job after finding himself in a bad situation.

Buddy,
No one is second guessing the pilot here. He did a superb job in landing the plane, and we realize that,

If you actually took the time to read the comments on this thread, you Will see that we are admiring that this pilot managed the situation in a way to minimize the impact on the airport’s operation.

It’s a good case study to learn from.
Cheers

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”