Nanchang CJ-6 down in Victoria BC

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Nanchang CJ-6 down in Victoria BC

Post by PilotDAR »

I could be wrong, if he came in too fast, he maybe he could have sled the whole length of the 5000’ runway.
Yes, you could be wrong - I'm struggling to imagine any aircraft sliding a mile along a runway!
we are admiring that this pilot managed the situation in a way to minimize the impact on the airport’s operation.
Yes, we are. Though minimizing impact on the airport's operation is a secondary thought, the pilot seems to have accomplished this well too. Double good job! A pilot who I have met, and respect, did a good job, all of the favourable markers are lining up for me, all is well...
It’s a good case study to learn from.
Well, okay, we have learned that a pilot with good skill, and a plan, executed it all, and the outcome was about as good as possible.

In the mean time, a recent flurry of accident videos being posted here is beginning to give me PTSD, so I'm generally avoiding them. Learn from a case study when we can, but let's not over do it....
---------- ADS -----------

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

PilotDAR wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:43 am
I could be wrong, if he came in too fast, he maybe he could have sled the whole length of the 5000’ runway.
Yes, you could be wrong - I'm struggling to imagine any aircraft sliding a mile along a runway!
we are admiring that this pilot managed the situation in a way to minimize the impact on the airport’s operation.
Yes, we are. Though minimizing impact on the airport's operation is a secondary thought, the pilot seems to have accomplished this well too. Double good job! A pilot who I have met, and respect, did a good job, all of the favourable markers are lining up for me, all is well...
It’s a good case study to learn from.
Well, okay, we have learned that a pilot with good skill, and a plan, executed it all, and the outcome was about as good as possible.

In the mean time, a recent flurry of accident videos being posted here is beginning to give me PTSD, so I'm generally avoiding them. Learn from a case study when we can, but let's not over do it....

@PilotDAR
This section of the forum is titled: Accidents, incidents and overdue aircraft. Are you ranting that I am posting waaaay too many educational videos that you find disturbing?????
If you can’t handle the heat, well ... get out of the kitchen.
[*]
My postings are clearly branded of what they are, and you as the viewer have the choice of not watching them. In your case, maybe you will benefit from not browsing the Accidents, incidents and overdue aircraft section of avcanada.

Yes we did. And for those of us pilots who want to improve upon our piloting skills, we are also interested to figure out what plan of action this pilot followed. That is because we know his plan worked, and we can duplicate when we end up in a situation like his. That is called improving aviation safety by education

Yes. Minimizing impact on others is secondary if not at the bottom of the checklist of priorities. However, for a pilot who has the competency to do it, which was the case for this pilot, minimizing side impact brings appreciation and respect from others who otherwise would be affected.

If you read my entire post, you could see that I believed the pilot aimed past the intersection of the other runway to avoid operational impact on the other runway, which is admirable. That is because the pilot knew that if he approached at the right speed, it would not take much distance for the aircraft to stop.
I included the GENERAL statement that maybe an aircraft on a very fast approach can potentially burn through 5000’ of runway ... mostly if let’s say it touches down, bounces and goes airborne and floates ...not just by sliding ... etc. As evident in this aircraft who ran out of a long runway, without engine:

https://youtu.be/WX2H3H8w--s

Unlike you, I don’t claim to know everything ... and that’s why I said, I could be wrong.

Last edited by challenger_nami on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

My postings are clearly branded of what they are, and you as the viewer have the choice of not watching them.
Indeed, they are, thanks for that. I no longer open these threads, as you intend.

I agree that discussion of circumstances of accidents, can be very helpful to improving pilot skills. And, there can come a point where the flood of recollection of a accident can turn it to be counter productive for those of us who survived one - so I don't what Youtube accident videos anymore either.

Everyone has a different perspective....

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Well Challanger. N.......”Buddy”

(Were buddys now right)

So Buddy.

Help out those of us who fail to see the light in this incident. To have taken away the lessons learned.

What have you learned from this “case study”?

Please share. I look forward to learning from you.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

trey kule wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:13 am Well Challanger. N.......”Buddy”

(Were buddys now right)

So Buddy.

Help out those of us who fail to see the light in this incident. To have taken away the lessons learned.

What have you learned from this “case study”?

Please share. I look forward to learning from you.

(Were buddys now right)
I guess you missed the sarcasm in me calling you buddy. So to be clear, you being the bitter kind of person that you sound from your recent posts, NO, we are not buddies.

If you don't want to see the positive takeaways from this situation, then I won’t waste my time trying to dissect and digest it for you. But if you open your eyes and read the posts from @2R and @Airway, there are some good points there to pick up.

The picture of the pilot beside his aircraft after the incident, Alive and Well and Walking like a Pro, has the biggest take away. I wonder if you are capable of figuring it out... I have my doubts though.

Last edited by challenger_nami on Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Hey Buddy....

Please. Digest away. I am not the only one who is interested in what your takeaway from this was.

I did read all the posts again.

I am not bitter at all. I just dont like ambulance chasers, who love to speculate (read gossip) and then pretend it is a learning experience. Been around long enough to see the gossipers do real damage to more than a few pilot’s career.

So your claim is in dispute.....show us the learning that necessitated Such things as posts of runways. Or exactly where the aircraft touched down.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Gee Challenger,

It appears to me that you are waving the ugly stick in the direction of some pretty experienced pilots, but it's up to you I suppose....

Castorero
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Castorero »

Being a student of history, I am reminded of its propensity to repeat itself with banal regularity.

So...

Like a Phoenix, Fra Girolamo Savonarola, having been reduced to ashes on Piazza della Signoria on the evening of May 23,1498 for getting behind the power curve of Pope Alexander VI, miraculously rose from the ashes to reappear once more amongst the living.

Some wondered early on, if this was a true reincarnation or a mere illusion...

Still... the peeling of bells in the dawning light did not augur well...

The fervent preaching that brought Girolamo to the Piazza the first time, soon resumed in earnest.

This time it was more insistent, less tolerant, and even less in tune with the norms of the Church.
It was only a matter of time before word would reach the ears of a now weary Pope Alexander...

Well, you know the rest...

Please forgive the sappy prose, I just couldn't help myself...

May The Lord have mercy

Last edited by Castorero on Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

trey kule wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:08 am Hey Buddy....

Please. Digest away. I am not the only one who is interested in what your takeaway from this was.

I did read all the posts again.

I am not bitter at all. I just dont like ambulance chasers, who love to speculate (read gossip) and then pretend it is a learning experience. Been around long enough to see the gossipers do real damage to more than a few pilot’s career.

So your claim is in dispute.....show us the learning that necessitated Such things as posts of runways. Or exactly where the aircraft touched down.
Buddy,,
What’s wrong with posting runways???? And METAR for that matter?
Would that not bring factual information to a professional discussion? Is that not what TSB does?

and what’s wrong with inquiring where exactly the aircraft touchdown occurred????
Would that not tell someone in that situation how long of a runway is needed for a belly skidding aircraft of similar size, speed and weight to stop??? Some airports/airfields have embankments at the end of the runway, so knowing that someone in that situation can decide if a particular runway distance is adequate. Don’t you think buddy?

Did any of the above infringe on someone’s reasonable privacy and human rights. Did any of the above violate any laws or regulations or human decency principals??

@PilotDAR,
It appears to me that you are waving the ugly stick in the direction of some pretty experienced pilots, but it's up to you I suppose....

sometimes, with a lot of positive experience, comes a full load of crap.
by that I mean bad attitudes, bad habits, wrong technical practices that were not corrected early on and became the person’s perception of reality and stuck with them their whole career. Tell me if you don’t agree, which you probably don’t.

That is very much so prevalent in the old timers in aviation who learned something in a certain way back in the good old days.... and then stopped learning and improving.

Then for whatever reason, practices evolved to a better and improved way. But the “Experienced” old timer just was not willing to evolve and adopt the new and improved practices. Sounds familiar?

Also @pilotDAR

My postings are clearly branded of what they are, and you as the viewer have the choice of not watching them.

You wrote:
Indeed, they are, thanks for that. I no longer open these threads, as you intend.
I don’t intend for you or someone who may suffer emotionally due to PTSD (as you pointed out) to read/watch the threads I post. I don’t care if people watch them or not. My intention is to share educational info with those who are willing to improve their knowledge and skills.

Again, knowing yourself, as the viewer the onus is on you not to browse the section of Avcanada’s Accidents and Incidents Forum.... and not to watch MAYDAY, the TV show either.

Last edited by challenger_nami on Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Again, knowing yourself, the onus is on you not to browse the section of Avcanada’s Accidents and Incidents Forum.... and not to watch MAYDAY, the TV show
Sure, it's 100% on me to avoid watching Mayday (which has a lot of educational value), avoid Youtube videos of crashes, and avoid well identified threads about crashes. Everyone has their personal threshold, and I know mine. After helping to lift two dead friends out of their crashed planes, cutting numerous car crash victims from their cars over a 27 years span, then being rescued myself, you kinda reach "full", you know what I mean? "Doesn't mean ejecting from aviation entirely, but it does mean choosing my involvement.

So, to be sure, the education must continue (I fly as the trainee for several check flights, and take type training every year), and I will certainly sit through discussion about accidents, and videos if relevant. But, after three months lying in hospital thinking about being in the right seat for the wrong flight, I'm happy just to take a step back from delving into every crash video for the "excitement", and appreciate flying which went well....

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

I am sorry to hear about your negative experiences with Rescuing crash victims of different sorts.

On my part, there is NO excitement from watching aircraft crash. But, I have hope that by publicizing the accidents and starting a conversation about them, we can increase awareness and reduce the number of accidents many of which are preventable.

I think September 2020 was a record month in the USA for number of General Aviation accidents. Was it much different in Canada? I hope.

And I hope you see less and less Crash Video postings by me, because there was nothing to be posted. Just because there was no accident and every flight which took off, landed safely. Cheers to that.

airway
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by airway »

trey kule wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 3:50 pm

Does it really matter? Minimal damage. No one hurt.
Picking it apart Is a bit unnecessary.

If I had to skid my plane in, I would be more than a little put out to read all the computer Captains sitting, back, relaxing, and second guessing me.

Looks to me that he did a darn good job after finding himself in a bad situation.
Yes it matters. Anything that can help a pilot who may be faced with this situation in the future should be discussed. If that means looking at details of an accident that turned out well, so be it.

Out of interest trey, at what level of damage or injury are we allowed to discuss an accident?

Capt. Underpants
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Capt. Underpants »

And people wonder why pilots are often stereotyped as “difficult”. I swear, some of you could turn ordering pizza for the group into a brawl that ends with everyone going hungry. :roll:

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

OK, now that we're down to insults, I think that this has been beaten to death and then some..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”