Hero Pilot Narrowly Avoided Crashing into the School

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Hero Pilot Narrowly Avoided Crashing into the School

Post by challenger_nami »

Aftermath of very Fortunate Emergency Landing in the playground of the school.

TV New Coverage VIDEO: https://youtu.be/DS6_X-E9Ca4

Helicopter View Video: https://youtu.be/eUUj0oMLZhc

Pilot is ok. Said the aircraft ran out of fuel after one hour of flight.

Unless all the fuel leaked out without the pilot being at fault, I hope this pilot gets negligence charges for possibly endangering the lives of children in that school. Thankfully there were no children there at the time.

Lots can be learned from this video.

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by challenger_nami on Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: VIDEO - Aftermath of Fortunate Playground Emergency Landing

Post by montado »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:23 pm Aftermath of very Fortunate Emergency Landing in the playground of the school.

Unless all the fuel leaked out without the pilot being at fault, I hope this pilot gets negligence charges for possibly endangering the lives of children in that school. Thankfully there were no children there at the time.

I don't think the law makes charges based on hypotheticals. Such as What if the president was at the park, we should charge the pilot with terrorism and plotting to kill the president?

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

montado wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:17 pm
I don't think the law makes charges based on hypotheticals. Such as What if the president was at the park, we should charge the pilot with terrorism and plotting to kill the president?
FAA 14 CFR § 91.13 - Careless or reckless operation.
(a) Aircraft operations for the purpose of air navigation. No person may operate an aircraft in a careless or reckless manner so as to endanger the life or property of another.
Transport Canada’s CAR’s have the same clause.

Unless if the issue was related to some mechanical problem beyond the pilot’s control, the pilot has already violated the above law and is susceptible to some penalty. Now it’s up to that district attorney (or whatever) if they feel like proceeding with it.

I am putting the emphasis on the fact that the pilot ran out of fuel which in my OPNION was preventable, unless there was a justifiable mechanical reason that caused the problem.

The fact that it was a school makes it hit closer to home for those who have a loved one who plays in a playground like that.

Do you feel comfortable if someone does an emergency landing due to fuel starvation in the playground were your kids play?

Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Pretty good result considering the obstacles, clipping a fence, and landing in a smallish empty field next to an empty playground next to an empty closed school.

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:27 pmDo you feel comfortable if someone does an emergency landing due to fuel starvation in the playground were your kids play?
The location of the landing has no bearing on the severity of the negligence involved in ending up there. It could be a shopping mall, office tower, a building full of puppies, or a wide open field in the middle of nowhere. Ergo, the penalty for the negligence is the same either way.

The civil suits that may result, if one hits a group of school-aged children vs. landing in a wide open field are quite different, of course.

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

@donald
The outcome was great. If I ever have to make an emergency landing, this would be the outcome I aim and wish for.

I just don’t believe the pilot was fully certain of the school being closed and of emptiness of the field. It just worked that way. Thanks COVID.

@Airframe
I agree with you that the place the emergency landing occurred does not have any relation to the negligence that caused it in the first place.

However, the location being potentially around a vulnerable group of kids, will make INACTION the less politically desirable option for let’s say the district attorney (or whoever).

For example, and I realize this example is a thad dramatic: is it the same for a wanna-be-gangster to be caught with an unlicensed firearm in an empty field Vs in front of a school?

JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

He did fairly well on the landing considering the field adjacent the playground is only 450 feet long! I suspect he turned and hit the fence at the opposite end. If you look at the satellite view of the area, certainly not a place I'd want to try and put anything down.

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

montado wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:17 pm
challenger_nami wrote: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:23 pm Aftermath of very Fortunate Emergency Landing in the playground of the school.

You may as well talk to a table knife. Don't make the mistake of thinking that a poster intent on pumping smoke up his own cornhole cares about hypotheticals.

Good judgment comes from experience. Experience often comes from bad judgment.
cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

Jesus, take me now.

Is this insufferable buffoon a double for that cracker that thought the Nobel Prize was coming to him for discovering the behind the power curve approach technique?

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

cncpc wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:28 pm You may as well talk to a table knife. Don't make the mistake of thinking that a poster intent on pumping smoke up his own cornhole cares about hypotheticals.
Jesus, take me now.

Is this insufferable buffoon a double for that cracker that thought the Nobel Prize was coming to him for discovering the behind the power curve approach technique?
@CNCPC,
Thanks for opening your mouth again. Now we know you still exist on this earth.

Please take another deep breath and then close IT again for a long while.

@Jesus and/or Moderators,
please take CNCPC as he wishes. We have no good use for him/her....& (s)he is trolling and inciting a forum brawl.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Nahhhh...Proper journos headlines shoud have been:

« Pilot hailed as heros for narrowing missing a school »

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

TG wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:26 am Nahhhh...Proper journos headlines shoud have been:

« Pilot hailed as heros for narrowing missing a school »

Good suggestion @TG.
Done. Thread Title Changed to: “ Hero Pilot Narrowly Avoided Crashing into the School”, as a JOKE.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

cncpc wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:28 pm Jesus, take me now.
Hold still, I'm on my way.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Hero Pilot Narrowly Avoided Crashing into the School

Post by montado »

So challenger, by your logic would the WestJet crew in SXM be charged with being negligent? Or do mistakes happen?

I don't hope this pilot is charged, I just hope if a lesson can be learned that this doesn't have to happen again.

My understanding of the law is we don't charge people in accidents for mistakes. If you get in a fender bender with a school bus, but you weren't on your phone and weren't speeding and it was an honest mistake. Just because it was a school but has zero bearing on the accident... And I would not say I hope they charge this asshole because its children on a school bus.

I think we are just misunderstanding each other, my point is the fact it was a school had little bearing on whether charges will happen. The charges would be based on whether errors were made and if they deem the errors were due to negligence.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

montado wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:35 am
I don't hope this pilot is charged, I just hope if a lesson can be learned that this doesn't have to happen again.
I'm trying to imagine a single tiny new thing that can be learned from this, the worst thing ever to happen ... on the 23rd of October. To this pilot. Not coming up with much.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

Ok,

I'll bite on the broader topic of consequences for near misses. Yes, there should be!

Criminal Charges for a near miss? Don't know about that.

Thinking of the AC near miss in SFO -- with an erased flight voice recorder.

Thinking with more experience and working as a professional with hundreds of passengers, the accountability goes way up and forgiveness for errors goes down. It's not the same as a low time PPL.

Those pilots would both be history if they worked for me. Gone. History.

If they are still there, which wouldn't surprise me, what message does it send to the thousands of professional pilots who,

-- wouldn't depart on a trip if "too tired". (this is a totally lame excuse I've read here. PPL's can't be excused for it -- sure not acceptable for an ATPL!)

--- Read the NOTAM, and don't blame it. No PPL would be ever excused on this forum for an accident from not reading a NOTAM and listening to the ATIS.

----Would never delete the voice recording. This is the biggest one of all. Goes to Character. That alone is firing for cause.

The message sent is exactly what posters here believe and wrote when it happened: "Routine Go Around. Nothing to see here".

Echo chambers.

Nope. Not happening.

Last edited by rookiepilot on Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Getting rid of experienced flight crew for mistakes just sets a precedence for fear, pilots who won't report, will change culture in a negative way and probably won't have a net change on reducing the occurrence. If the goal is to improve safety I'm willing to bet kicking pilots to the streets for mistakes will definitely not improve safety.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

montado wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:51 am Getting rid of experienced flight crew for mistakes just sets a precedence for fear, pilots who won't report, will change culture in a negative way and probably won't have a net change on reducing the occurrence. If the goal is to improve safety I'm willing to bet kicking pilots to the streets for mistakes will definitely not improve safety.
A "mistake" that came within 15 seconds and under 100 feet of killing hundreds of people?
And -- They DIDN'T report. The voice recorder was deleted!

Noted your view, and I disagree.

If that's a real problem with pilots lying, cameras need to go in the cockpits Now.
Data recorders need to record many days Now.

It's a public job with massive responsibility and big bucks and a great lifestyle at the senior airline level. Privacy isn't a right.

cncpc
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by cncpc »

challenger_nami wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:44 pm
cncpc wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:28 pm You may as well talk to a table knife. Don't make the mistake of thinking that a poster intent on pumping smoke up his own cornhole cares about hypotheticals.
Jesus, take me now.

@CNCPC,
Thanks for opening your mouth again. Now we know you still exist on this earth.

Please take another deep breath and then close IT again for a long while.

@Jesus and/or Moderators,
please take CNCPC as he wishes. We have no good use for him/her....& (s)he is trolling and inciting a forum brawl.
No, he isn't.

Unless you've got fleas, it's "I have no good use...", not we. I doubt there are very many posters here who would, if asked by you "Who's with me", hold up their hands.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:54 am A "mistake" that came within 15 seconds and under 100 feet of killing hundreds of people?
And -- They DIDN'T report. The voice recorder was deleted!

Noted your view, and I disagree.

If that's a real problem with pilots lying, cameras need to go in the cockpits Now.
Data recorders need to record many days Now.

It's a public job with massive responsibility and big bucks and a great lifestyle at the senior airline level. Privacy isn't a right.
Yes it is.

Now, destroying evidence is a whole other matter, as is the reasonable expectation of privacy in your workplace. I would agree on everything you said there save for the last point. It is absolutely a fundamental right in Canada.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”