Another Youtuber Crashes

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Another Youtuber Crashes

Post by pelmet »

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=emb ... Q3WByjahOc

Anyone familiar with the aircraft type. I wonder if he was using Mogas which has vapour lock issues.
---------- ADS -----------

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: Another Youtuber Crashes

Post by mosky »

Old news. That was awhile ago.
I believe there's a follow up video. I think he did attribute it to vapour lock. Shut down, sit, start up and take off immediately and without having installed a return line from the carbs. He was a classic example of why Rotax recommeds you install a return line.
He was very lucky in spite of his 'self induced' engine failure.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

mosky wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:37 am Old news. That was awhile ago.
I believe there's a follow up video. I think he did attribute it to vapour lock. Shut down, sit, start up and take off immediately and without having installed a return line from the carbs. He was a classic example of why Rotax recommeds you install a return line.
He was very lucky in spite of his 'self induced' engine failure.
Thanks,

Assuming that all said is true.......

A perfect example of the risks of getting into non-certified aircraft. A much higher level of appropriate technical knowledge is important

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

I just watched the follow up video. "Oh and there was an AD on that fuel pump. Whatever that is......" He was referring to an AD and not the fuel pump is but to be owning and working on your own airplane and not knowing what AD stands for peaks volumes I think. And then he also mentions that he should have a return recirculation line that is proven to eliminate vapour lock. Not sure if I agree with how he did it as he should have it returning the recirculation fuel further upstream to provide a larger cooling effect but at least he has one now.
As we get more and more 'film maker's getting licenced for the sole purpose of making videos we will see more and more or these you tubers bending metal. Gonna give recreational aviation a bad name. Hopefully they don't kill themselves or some unsuspecting passenger or bystander.

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

The 'risk of a non certified aircraft' can certainly be mitigated by proper adherence to the manufacturer's specifications, guidelines and AIRWORTHINESS DIRECTIVES. This AD was published some time before the crash and if I'm not mistaken at least a year before this incident.
Someone would have had to do an annual inspection on this aircraft and by extension should have caught the AD (published 5 years before the crash in April 2013)at the very least and perhaps the guidance from many years ago with respect to a fuel return line or at the least by the manufacturer's cautions about vapour lock potential under certain conditions (actually the exact conditions the youtuber created on this day).

Again with more and more inexperienced people getting into aviation and the proliferation of second or third hand experimental or LSA aircraft people who have no clue about the inner workings and criticality of certain aircraft systems are going to be operating these aircraft. I still cannot believe the aircraft owner bolting a new prop onto the engine and firing up and taking off without finding a definitive reason for the origional failure. No filters removed, or inspected, no fuel flow checks, extensive ground runs, etc. etc.

I argue that certified or not this owner would have done the same thing had it been a certified aircraft although you are correct and that being a certified aircraft would have hopefully had a higher level of oversight into it's adherence to proper mechanical condition. That responsibility falls directly on the shoulders of the owner of the aircraft. I have built and flown experimental aircraft and from that I will be very suspicious of someone else's A/B or non certified aircraft. That does not mean I would not fly in it but I will get to know and understand how the owner 'works' and scrutinize the build before climbing in. I know that is not a 100% sure fire way to ensure that the aircraft is airworthy and as safe as it can be but it does mitigate some of the risk in my mind.

karmutzen
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by karmutzen »

Tough luck about his drone too. Kitfox with a Rotax, they run car gas just fine. Vapor lock sounds better than taking off without checking fuel select (like that Beaver). Still had a little sandbar in front, might have used that instead of standing on the brakes and going turtle (like that 140 at Stave). Has his heart on his sleeve and I enjoy his videos, analysis and admission to mishaps. He’s getting ten times more enjoyment out his airplane than all you pavement pounders, and what he breaks he fixes himself. To enjoy off-airport is going to cost more, but to him and the rest of us it is a worthwhile spend.

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

I agree with you 100% and I am all for homebuilts and LSAs as a way to get more people into aviation. Looking back on this past year I can count on my one hand the number of on-airport landings I made this year.
My point is that if you're going to fly an airplane you owe it to yourself and your passengers to make sure you are doing so with all due consideration to safety. That includes making sure all current ADs and service instructions from your kit manufacturer and engine OEM are complied with. To go off airport and have an incident exploring your personal boundaries is one thing, to put you, your passenger's and bystander's lives at risk through your negligence or ignorance is another.
Too many incidents and accidents can only lead to further regulation and costs if we refuse to look after ourselves not to mention the cost in injuries and fatalities.

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by CpnCrunch »

This is the same guy who crashed his Capella recently. I love watching his videos, but when I fly myself I prefer certified aircraft.

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

This just posted today:

https://youtu.be/AUSz_EcGTy4

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

Is crashing your plane just normal for these people?

Make sure you bring up all these videos when you go to renew your insurance, they will for sure give you a discount for owning up to your mistakes.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

The two most dangerous words in aviation: “watch this”.

As you say, I can’t wait for the question on my next insurance renewal: do you have a YouTube channel? Provide details.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

It’s possible that the FAME and the extra YouTube income from Clicks and Sponsors pays for the cost of damages to the aircraft and leaves some money in their pocket at the end.

It’s stupid and unsafe behavior, but it’s hard to stop.

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:02 am .

It’s possible that the FAME and the extra YouTube income from Clicks and Sponsors pays for the cost of damages to the aircraft and leaves some money in their pocket at the end.

I"m quite ok with that, as long as my insurance premiums aren't being used as a top-up on the way to profitability.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

challenger_nami wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:02 am .

Oh I'm sure some will find the stop real hard.

And no, I doubt these people are making that much. They for sure like to capitalise on everything, trying to get those sweet linked clicks.

mosky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mosky »

Yup he crashed again.

https://youtu.be/e7Pzakaeb1w

Says his girlfriend was NOT flying at the time and this time there is no video is this crash. Guess the insurance company would not want to see that given he's not an instructor. Video before this showed him teaching his girlfriend how to land the plane.......

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

Wow! Buddy keeps this up, and one of these days, the Grim Reaper will catch him. All of his friends will ask "Why?? He was such a good pilot!"

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”