Debris falls from 777 during emergency landing.

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Debris falls from 777 during emergency landing.

Post by rookiepilot »

Doesn't sound particularly good....engine explosion. No injuries.

Mayday call:
https://kdvr.com/news/local/listen-mayd ... witter.com

Wild Video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XnSjAdvKp8k

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... ium=social

(AP) -- Debris from a United Airlines plane fell onto Denver suburbs during an emergency landing Saturday, with one very large piece that appears to be part of the engine narrowly missing a home.

The plane landed safely and nobody aboard or on the ground was reported hurt, authorities said.

The Federal Aviation Administration said in a statement that the Boeing 777-200 returned to the Denver International Airport after experiencing a right-engine failure shortly after takeoff. Flight 328 was flying from Denver to Honolulu when the incident occurred, the agency said.

The Broomfield Police Department posted photos on Twitter showing large, circular pieces of debris leaning against a house in the suburb about 25 miles (40 kilometers) north of Denver. Police are asking that anyone injured come forward.

Tyler Thal, who lives in the area, told The Associated Press that he was out for a walk with his family when he noticed a large commercial plane flying unusually low and took out his phone to film it.

“While I was looking at it, I saw an explosion and then the cloud of smoke and some debris falling from it. It was just like a speck in the sky and as I’m watching that, I’m telling my family what I just saw and then we heard the explosion,” he said in a phone interview. “The plane just kind of continued on and we didn’t see it after that.”

Video posted on Twitter by a woman who said she was the daughter of people aboard the flight showed the engine fully engulfed in flames as the plane flew through the air.
---------- ADS -----------

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Debris falls from 777 during emergency landing.

Post by boeingboy »

Hell of a picture. Glad no-one was hurt.

Attachments
BB1dRyoU.jpg
BB1dRyoU.jpg (38.24 KiB) Viewed 3450 times
JasonE
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by JasonE »

Friend of a friend took this one from onboard....

"Carelessness and overconfidence are more dangerous than deliberately accepted risk." -Wilbur Wright
geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

Juan Brown (himself a 777 driver) has a pretty good run-down of what's known so far:

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Anyone else find it weird what a poor mayday call that guy gave? Or that you can hear the fire bell going off in the background...asking for an unspecified turn without your ident without repeating mayday 3 times, before you've even silenced the master warning? Good job bringing her home and all, but just weird.

geodoc
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by geodoc »

co-joe wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:14 pm Anyone else find it weird what a poor mayday call that guy gave? Or that you can hear the fire bell going off in the background...asking for an unspecified turn without your ident without repeating mayday 3 times, before you've even silenced the master warning? Good job bringing her home and all, but just weird.
Watching the Juan Brown video, it seems they called MAYDAY, MAYDAY twice. I would assume that 'SQK 7700' was on one of the check lists they were running through as well.In any case ATC certainly got the message.

DH82EH
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DH82EH »

Down safe.
Nobody hurt in the air or on the ground.
I'm callin' that a win!

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Looks like this was identical to the 2018 incident to her sister ship (N773UA) just short of HNL. 1 blade separates at the root and the next blade fails midspan - while losing the inlet and fan cowls. I'm thinking some redesigns (notably to the inlets design) are coming for newer airplanes perhaps. They can't allow engines to shed all these parts if a FBO incident occurs.

From the 2018 report...
Because the aluminum versus the CFRP structure has the ability to yield while absorbing the same amount of energy, it can redistribute the FBO loads between the fan case and the inlet without causing failure to the inlet, or the fan case to inlet interface. The inlet and fan cowl structural analyses showed that the CFRP aft bulkhead design was less capable than the aluminum bulkhead that was tested during engine certification test and determined that multiple possible scenarios could have led to their separation; 1) the inlet aft bulkhead load path damage caused by the unanticipated magnitude of the displacements induced by the displacement wave following the FBO combined with the anticipated inner barrel fragment induced damage progressed under rundown loads, resulting in portions of the inlet departing within one second following the FBO, 2) the departure of portions of the inlet including the lower aft bulkhead caused the static and/or dynamic loads to increase beyond the fan cowls capability, that lead to the departure of large portions of the fan cowl, 3) the fan cowl honeycomb core strength was reduced below its capability to react rundown loads due to moisture ingression at the hinge points leading to large portions of the fan cowl departing prior to the inlets departure.

ffrats
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by ffrats »

co-joe wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:14 pm Anyone else find it weird what a poor mayday call that guy gave?
Not meant to attack you, but perhaps a little more humility might be due, in recognizing that in the sim when you knew 6 months in advance what you would be required to do and say, is very different, from when the engine abnormal happens in real time, in real life, with no warning, caused by a violent engine explosion, most likely shaking the plane, accompanied by the ominous fire bell.

There are many stellar . “Yeager’s” among us, and you are to be applauded if you are one of them. However let that not detract from the still very professional, capable, and most of all SAFE professional pilots, who demonstrate themselves worthy, of still being called such. Let’s not be overly critical.

Last edited by ffrats on Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

boeingboy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:34 pm Looks like this was identical to the 2018 incident to her sister ship (N773UA) just short of HNL. 1 blade separates at the root and the next blade fails midspan - while losing the inlet and fan cowls. I'm thinking some redesigns (notably to the inlets design) are coming for newer airplanes perhaps. They can't allow engines to shed all these parts if a FBO incident occurs.

From the 2018 report...
Because the aluminum versus the CFRP structure has the ability to yield while absorbing the same amount of energy, it can redistribute the FBO loads between the fan case and the inlet without causing failure to the inlet, or the fan case to inlet interface. The inlet and fan cowl structural analyses showed that the CFRP aft bulkhead design was less capable than the aluminum bulkhead that was tested during engine certification test and determined that multiple possible scenarios could have led to their separation; 1) the inlet aft bulkhead load path damage caused by the unanticipated magnitude of the displacements induced by the displacement wave following the FBO combined with the anticipated inner barrel fragment induced damage progressed under rundown loads, resulting in portions of the inlet departing within one second following the FBO, 2) the departure of portions of the inlet including the lower aft bulkhead caused the static and/or dynamic loads to increase beyond the fan cowls capability, that lead to the departure of large portions of the fan cowl, 3) the fan cowl honeycomb core strength was reduced below its capability to react rundown loads due to moisture ingression at the hinge points leading to large portions of the fan cowl departing prior to the inlets departure.
Yes, it looks like a fan blade blew off with an upward trajectory. You can see the weakened containment ring near the top. That would have knocked all the cowling supports apart.

In this case, the design prevented engine parts from critically damaging the structure and the aircraft was still flyable. I don't think it would be possible to prevent such an accident as it's not very often it happens.

That poor guys truck was totaled though.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

FWIW.....saw this.

JAPAN REQUESTS AIRLINES AVOID USING BOEING 777 PLANES WITH PRATT & WHITNEY 4000 ENGINES IN AND OVER ITS TERRITORY UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE - NOTICE TO AIRMEN

waterdog
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by waterdog »

What's interesting is that it wasn't the only uncontained Pratt & Whitney engine to fail that day.......

"A B747-4F had an uncontained engine failure on t/o , initial climb out of Maastricht ap in the Netherlands(Holland).
Engine debris came down in a local village close to the ap and damaged cars and injured several people. AIrcraft diverted to Luik which is over the border in Belgium." From a PPRuNe forum.

Apparently, it's a PW PW4056.

2 failures in one day, given how few planes are in the air seems a little concerning.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

waterdog wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:17 pm What's interesting is that it wasn't the only uncontained Pratt & Whitney engine to fail that day.......

"A B747-4F had an uncontained engine failure on t/o , initial climb out of Maastricht ap in the Netherlands(Holland).
Engine debris came down in a local village close to the ap and damaged cars and injured several people. AIrcraft diverted to Luik which is over the border in Belgium." From a PPRuNe forum.

Apparently, it's a PW PW4056.

2 failures in one day, given how few planes are in the air seems a little concerning.
The fact 2 PW engines failed is meaningless...I'm sure there is a PT6 somewhere that failed too. PW 4056 and PW4077 are completely different engines. This is just coincidence.

It's also very important to note that the United flight was NOT an uncontained failure. but rather a contained failure. It yet remains to be seen if the 747 was uncontained or not.

boeingboy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by boeingboy »

Heliian wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:19 pm
boeingboy wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:34 pm Looks like this was identical to the 2018 incident to her sister ship (N773UA) just short of HNL. 1 blade separates at the root and the next blade fails midspan - while losing the inlet and fan cowls. I'm thinking some redesigns (notably to the inlets design) are coming for newer airplanes perhaps. They can't allow engines to shed all these parts if a FBO incident occurs.

From the 2018 report...
Yes, it looks like a fan blade blew off with an upward trajectory. You can see the weakened containment ring near the top. That would have knocked all the cowling supports apart.

In this case, the design prevented engine parts from critically damaging the structure and the aircraft was still flyable. I don't think it would be possible to prevent such an accident as it's not very often it happens.

That poor guys truck was totaled though.

I beg to differ. This can be prevented with proper design. Note in the reference I provided - it gives the reason for the inlet cowl and fan cowls departing the airplane as due to a design change in the inlet cowl bulkhead and attachment from aluminum - which was used for certification tests and was not damaged - to CFRP which is stronger but does not have enough "give" and shatters under the loads imposed on it. There have been FBO incidents with other aircraft in the past and there were no issues with components self destructing and coming off the airframe.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

And on my Twitter today.....

U.K. SUSPENDS BOEING B777 WITH PRATT & WHITNEY 4000-112 ENGINE

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

rookiepilot wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:05 am And on my Twitter today.....

U.K. SUSPENDS BOEING B777 WITH PRATT & WHITNEY 4000-112 ENGINE
I’m beginning to wonder if the MAX has set a precedent for all future aircraft issues. Will grounding of fleets be more immediate and abrupt?

Probably the same for all future virus discovered, covid 19 will for many be remembered as doing to little to late just like the MAX. Virus pops up and the world will immediately lockdown. Is this good, or is this bad! :rolleyes: Maybe it will save us from the big one.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

montado wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:57 am I’m beginning to wonder if the MAX has set a precedent for all future aircraft issues. Will grounding of fleets be more immediate and abrupt?
I've wondered the same thing. I suspect regulators will be considerably more wary about "working with" OEMs for at least the next several years, given Boeing's track record of misleading the FAA on 737 MAX issues. See https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... f=3VbliVTk and https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/09/busi ... sages.html.

Fleet groundings, while draconian, will mitigate the PR and "duty of care" risks faced by the regulators, and will put the onus squarely on the manufacturers to identify and deal with reliability and safety issues.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

ffrats wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:46 pm
co-joe wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 11:14 pm Anyone else find it weird what a poor mayday call that guy gave?
Not meant to attack you, but perhaps a little more humility might be due, in recognizing that in the sim when you knew 6 months in advance what you would be required to do and say, is very different, from when the engine abnormal happens in real time, in real life, with no warning, caused by a violent engine explosion, most likely shaking the plane, accompanied by the ominous fire bell.

There are many stellar . “Yeager’s” among us, and you are to be applauded if you are one of them. However let that not detract from the still very professional, capable, and most of all SAFE professional pilots, who demonstrate themselves worthy, of still being called such. Let’s not be overly critical.
I'd expect more from a 777 crew. If it were actually busy on the departure freq it might be 5 minutes before they get a word in, and to waste the call to say "ah...we need a turn"??? And to hear the fire bell going still in the background? What's your order of operations in an emergency? Communicate, Navigate, THEN once you get a turn to 080 degrees you start Aviating?

Great job getting back on the ground, everybody safe, can still reuse the aeroplane. 5/5 stars, but that mayday call deserves a bit of a debrief IMO.

GRK2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GRK2 »

Yeah, that poor bugger is going to have to live with that blunder for likely the rest of his career. No doubt he'll take some ribbing from his colleagues and friends. He had his moment with that call and it wasn't the prettiest I've heard.

I'm guessing that by the time you get to be senior enough to hold a morning DEN to HNL flight you would have a pretty good idea of how to manage a surprise event. While I am not aware of what United does regarding LOFT scenarios, I do know they meet FAA standards for PPCs etc. Having said that, he squeezed that mic trigger pretty quick and we all heard the fire bell. If UAL follows the "Aviate Navigate THEN Communicate" ethos that radio call should have been made once they were all done with the memory items and had a better picture of what they wanted to do next. Boeing puts that right in the FCTM for all their types. It works. Clearly the shock of the event pushed the crew to reacting and rushing which, thankfully in this case, didn't have any effect and they got their sh*t together and made a safe return.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

What's the Air Canada 777 fleet using?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”