Canadian Ultralight Aircraft

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

micheblea83
Rank 0
Rank 0

Canadian Ultralight Aircraft

Post by micheblea83 »

So I want to be candid here, and have a discussion on something that just doesn't make any sense. With this topic I know a lot of PPL holders look down upon Ultralight aircraft in Canada and Ultralight licenses so I would like to put a full stop on that discussion before it even begins.

Why is it that Transport Canada does not want to, or is unwilling to match the specs for Light Sport Aircraft in Canada? There are so many excellent aircraft out there that fit within the LS community in the US, yet can't be registered as an Ultralight in Canada because certain details.

Why is there no desire to level the playing field here? I get the same feeling of "lets just leave things the way they are, we don't want to change anything" coming from UPAC (Ultralight Pilots Association of Canada) and from what I've heard in in various discussions with UL permit holders and PPL holders, the General Aviation community doesn't want this either because the Ultralight Community is seen as the redheaded step child.
---------- ADS -----------

AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Canadian Ultralight Aircraft

Post by AirFrame »

A better question is why the US didn't align the LSA program with the Advanced UL program in Canada.

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

micheblea83 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:30 pm So I want to be candid here, and have a discussion on something that just doesn't make any sense. With this topic I know a lot of PPL holders look down upon Ultralight aircraft in Canada and Ultralight licenses so I would like to put a full stop on that discussion before it even begins.

Why is it that Transport Canada does not want to, or is unwilling to match the specs for Light Sport Aircraft in Canada? There are so many excellent aircraft out there that fit within the LS community in the US, yet can't be registered as an Ultralight in Canada because certain details.

Why is there no desire to level the playing field here? I get the same feeling of "lets just leave things the way they are, we don't want to change anything" coming from UPAC (Ultralight Pilots Association of Canada) and from what I've heard in in various discussions with UL permit holders and PPL holders, the General Aviation community doesn't want this either because the Ultralight Community is seen as the redheaded step child.
I think you're wrong here. I'm a helicopter snob but I don't look down on fixed wing aviators, especially not ones like the ultralight community. I think it's great to encourage people into aviation at the most modest price point.

As far as regulatory alignment between countries, it's getting better all the time, just not in your category yet.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

micheblea83 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:30 pm Why is it that Transport Canada does not want to, or is unwilling to match the specs for Light Sport Aircraft in Canada?
TC doesn't have a mandate to dance to the tune sung by the FAA. Why should it? Canada is (still) a sovereign country with its own laws, for better or worse.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Squaretail
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Squaretail »

Why is there no desire to level the playing field here?
There's simply just not enough demand. This is Canada remember with a population less than California. The current set up simply satisfies most demands. From what I have seen the LSA category in the US just didn't turn out to be the game changer many thought it was going to be. I recall reading an article where out of 40+ initial manufacturers of LSAs in the United States, less than 10 of them are still making some form of this category. Big players like Piper bowed out. Now if there's not enough of a market for something aviation related in the US, there isn't a market for it anywhere. That's not to say its dead, and pressures might revive the demand, but its probably just not as great as you think. The niche is small. After all, Ultralight guys in my experience aren't the sorts to want more regulation that may infringe on their activity.

I'm not sure what's more depressing: That everyone has a price, or how low the price always is.
Alav
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Alav »

micheblea83 wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:30 pm Why is it that Transport Canada does not want to, or is unwilling to match the specs for Light Sport Aircraft in Canada? There are so many excellent aircraft out there that fit within the LS community in the US, yet can't be registered as an Ultralight in Canada because certain details.
Because the FAA is the outlier?

Canada's are more inline with European microlight regulations - and have been in place since 1982.

The American LSA rules came much later in 2006.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”