Fuel Staining on Wings

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Fuel Staining on Wings

Post by pelmet »

In terms of fuel leaks, I suppose this all could have suddenly started on this particular flight but one has to wonder if it is a long term problem. I have had a fuel leak requiring a diversion. After landing, by chance due to the angle of the light at one particular angle from behind, I was able to see the fuel staining on top of the wing from behind the aircraft. More recently, I have been flying a Cessna at a flight school with fuel stains on top of both wings yet the fuel burn seems normal. Still, I keep my reserves higher than I normally would and am happy to hear that they are planning to replace the tanks.

"C-GECO, a ski-equipped Cessna 185F, operated by Kississing Lake Lodge (dba Wings Over
Kississing) was enroute from Egenolf Lake, MB to Thompson (CYTH), MB with only the pilot
onboard. While in cruise, the engine (Teledyne Continental IO-520-D) lost complete power. The
fuel selector was set to "both" and the pilot then attempted to restart the engine without success.
The pilot then successfully forced landing the aircraft on Pine Lake, MB. The pilot was not injured.
The aircraft did not sustain any damage. The pilot was subsequently picked up in a helicopter by
the air operator.

An inspection of the fuel cells after landing revealed that they were dry and excessive fuel
staining/streaks were found coming from the outboard fuel caps and on the underside of the flaps."
---------- ADS -----------

J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Fuel Staining on Wings

Post by J31 »

https://avrodex.com/view/2021C0706

2021-03-22: UPDATE from Airworthiness: A Civil Aviation Safety Inspector (CASI) looked into this occurrence. The company responded that C-GECO had taken off from Egenolf Lake, MB, to Thompson, MB (CYTH), but had an engine shutdown due to fuel starvation, leading to an "engine off" landing in Pine Lake. Upon investigation, it was found that due to extreme cold and moisture, ice had built up, causing the fuel vents to clog, leading to fuel starvation to the engine and the bladders to collapse. For the corrective action, the fuel vents were cleaned and the tanks were inspected and refuelled. Extended engine run-ups were carried out to confirm operation and the aircraft flew back to base safely.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”