Runway Excursion/Damage in Grand Manan

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Runway Excursion/Damage in Grand Manan

Post by pelmet »

C-GKGS, an Atlantic Charters (legal name Manan Air Services Inc.) Piper PA-42, was conducting a
flight from Fredericton airport (CYFC), NB to Grand Manan airport (CCN2), NB. The aircraft
touched down on Runway 06 (paved surface 3009 feet long, 75 feet wide) at CCN2 at about 0423
ADT in rainy conditions. Following touchdown, the aircraft moved to the right side of the runway
until the right landing gear main wheel began to roll along the turf beyond the edge of the paved
surface. The crew was unable to regain directional control and the aircraft left the paved surface
with all three landing gear wheels rolling in the soft, wet ground. The aircraft slid to a stop with
nose pointing north.

Both propellers sustained blade damage; the right landing gear outboard door assembly was also
damaged. Two runway edge lights were damaged. The 2 flight crewmembers were the only
occupants, and were not injured.
---------- ADS -----------

youhavecontrol
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Runway Excursion/Damage in Grand Manan

Post by youhavecontrol »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:20 pm Guess they weren’t following the philosophy of double or triple checking their “don’t go off roading with a Cheyenne checklist huh?

Out of curiosity, how do you go about deciding which reports you post and those that don’t past the “Pelmet muster”?

I’m genuinely curious...

TPC
I'm glad he posted this incident. I lived near that area, knew the company and landed in Grand Manan many times. Even if there's not a lot to learn from the event, it's interesting to hear about.

"I found that Right Rudder you kept asking for."
TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

youhavecontrol wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:00 pm
TeePeeCreeper wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 8:20 pm Guess they weren’t following the philosophy of double or triple checking their “don’t go off roading with a Cheyenne checklist huh?

Out of curiosity, how do you go about deciding which reports you post and those that don’t past the “Pelmet muster”?

I’m genuinely curious...

TPC
I'm glad he posted this incident. I lived near that area, knew the company and landed in Grand Manan many times. Even if there's not a lot to learn from the event, it's interesting to hear about.
It’s a genuine question of mine as I fly into that airport often.... I’m merely curious as to what makes the Avcanada “header” from Pelmet’s perspective and which incidents don’t “make the cut”....

As with any incident/accident there is ALWAYS something to be learned from.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

youhavecontrol wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:00 pm

I’m genuinely curious...

TPC
Thanks YouHaveControl. Glad to be of assistance.

As for the question from my new friend TPC who I have discovered that we have more in common than I thought(and therefore makes me want to reply)......

I can't say that I have a particular policy(which probably applies to others as well). Many of the reports I see are TCAS, engine shutdowns, etc, which
I figure are of not much interest. I usually don't post helicopter stuff.

In this case, it was a fairly large aircraft that was damaged, so I figured that it would be of interest to some out there(as the response shows). In addition, I saw a class 5 designation by the TSB and know that it is unlikely that there will be any further info and therefore hope that someone else will provide some details which we could learn from, and possibly prevent another accident. I think many pilots want to know more when there is an accident to ensure they will avoid such an outcome.

Other times, the TSB provides info that I figure that it may be an interesting scenario that some of us, especially someone new, could learn from. A recent flap failure incident is an example of that along with a thread on gear malfunctions that allows us a look at some of the scenarios encountered and how they were dealt with.

Obviously, this doesn't cover everything but they are good examples. See below....

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=145652

Copy of first paragraph from the link below......."It can be interesting to see how things were handled by crews when faced with a faulty landing gear with good ideas on what can be done. This crew seems to have done the best that was possible in an attempt to get the gear down. I thought I might start a thread where these incidents could be placed as a reference for the rest of us on what we may or may not want to do if ever facing a similar situation."

viewtopic.php?f=118&t=142367&p=1136577& ... d#p1136577

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

Pelmet,

Thank you.That adds a lot more clarity as to your fascination or rather “interest” in regards to incidents/accidents.

We may indeed have a lot more in common than I originally thought. I sincerely look forward to polite discussions without the slagging and dissuasiveness that has occurred in the past.

TPC

challenger_nami
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by challenger_nami »

I am truly glad you guys are setting your differences aside and are focusing on your commonalities. :smt023

Challener’s Rules of Engagement:
Challenger shall not engage those who lack common sense, Intelligence OR those who bring forward id*otic assertions
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 5:39 pm Pelmet,

Thank you.That adds a lot more clarity as to your fascination or rather “interest” in regards to incidents/accidents.

We may indeed have a lot more in common than I originally thought. I sincerely look forward to polite discussions without the slagging and dissuasiveness that has occurred in the past.

TPC
Sounds good. No point in blame game. The past is the past.

You have a lot of experience. Would welcome some good tips on things you have learned over the years. You did post a great one in the past that I have in the memory bank.

And yes, there is a strong interest or whatever word one wants to call it about these accidents. It started early in my flying career reading some old CASB reports where I discovered that the training system leaves out a lot of important items that can lead to accidents.

A lot of it is simply word of mouth for prevention.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”