Thunder Bay airport accident

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Thunder Bay airport accident

Post by digits_ »

From the quoted article:
The investigators found the plane in an inverted position on the runway, and destroyed by a post-impact fire.
The inverted position makes it sound like a VMC roll :cry:
---------- ADS -----------

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

digits_ wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:07 am From the quoted article:
The investigators found the plane in an inverted position on the runway, and destroyed by a post-impact fire.
Really?? That's a pretty big assumption considering airplanes don't really structured things in a crash. Catching a wingtip for whatever reason could flip it too. Airplanes are very good at ending up upside down after they hit the ground.

I would be shocked if there isn't video footage somewhere that recorded it.

The WX cameras should have caught it all in addition to all the security cameras at and around field.
https://www.metcam.navcanada.ca/hb/play ... &site=CYQT

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Lets not forget that someone lost their life here.

Are all these comments really necessary?

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

bobcaygeon wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:55 am
digits_ wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:07 am From the quoted article:
Really?? That's a pretty big assumption considering airplanes don't really structured things in a crash. Catching a wingtip for whatever reason could flip it too. Airplanes are very good at ending up upside down after they hit the ground.
Smaller single engine aircraft flip over easily, heavier twin turbine airplanes take a bit more effort to flip. Yes, of course there can be other reasons why the plane flipped. But assuming the info about the flight controls is correct, a VMC roll seems the most likely to me. I'd be happy to hear other possibilities.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

bobcaygeon wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:55 am I would be shocked if there isn't video footage somewhere that recorded it.
It should be a certainty, there was another plane that clipped a windrow a couple winters back in almost exactly the accident site and the airport had footage from a camera pointed at that spot.

I’m curious too but the reality is neither you nor I need to see that footage and that’s probably for the better.

ant_321
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by ant_321 »

I just found out I know the guy. So sad. A great young man with a true passion for aviation.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

golden hawk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by golden hawk »

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

bobcaygeon wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:55 am. Catching a wingtip for whatever reason could flip it too. Airplanes are very good at ending up upside down after they hit the ground.
I saw the wreckage from about 200’ away. Both wing tips seemed relatively intact. The tail destroyed. Almost like it hit exactly upside down.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Being an Aero Commander hopefully they check what type of fuel was put in it.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Dry Guy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:15 pm Being an Aero Commander hopefully they check what type of fuel was put in it.
Why? Garrett's can run on Avgas. Can't remember the ratio though. Something like 10 hrs every 100.

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

Dry Guy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:15 pm Being an Aero Commander hopefully they check what type of fuel was put in it.
The aircraft in question is actually a “Turbo Commander” with Garrett TPE-331 turbine engines. They will run quite well on Avgas or almost anything that is liquid and burns.
5F54B330-5DA0-4A83-BA0E-59FA535220CC.jpeg
5F54B330-5DA0-4A83-BA0E-59FA535220CC.jpeg (1.19 MiB) Viewed 3677 times
CBE613A3-FA4D-471D-B888-D30955CE72ED.jpeg
CBE613A3-FA4D-471D-B888-D30955CE72ED.jpeg (125.3 KiB) Viewed 3667 times

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

The report is out. Typical TSB, “We know a similar profile was intentionally flown twice that day but that’s not the axe we’re here to grind,” but otherwise seems complete enough. I wonder how the trainee controller felt about the whole affair.

https://www.tsb.gc.ca/eng/rapports-repo ... c0078.html

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

lownslow wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:17 pm The report is out. Typical TSB, “We know a similar profile was intentionally flown twice that day but that’s not the axe we’re here to grind,” but otherwise seems complete enough. I wonder how the trainee controller felt about the whole affair.

Gee, did (he) have his camera ready when it all went bad the third time?

Did this controller lose his job? At least?

Brutal.

How about one of you fellow controllers — any comment on the professionalism shown here?

Last edited by rookiepilot on Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

lownslow wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:17 pm The report is out. Typical TSB, “We know a similar profile was intentionally flown twice that day but that’s not the axe we’re here to grind,” but otherwise seems complete enough. I wonder how the trainee controller felt about the whole affair.

Oh god ... That's bad ...

I wonder what the communication with the landing aircraft was about. They don't clarify, yet repeat multiple times they knew each other.

Blaming this on the controllers would be a bit misplaced IMO.

rookiepilot
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rookiepilot »

digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:12 pm

I wonder what the communication with the landing aircraft was about. They don't clarify, yet repeat multiple times they knew each other.

Well, gee, I was taught that from my first PPL lesson some 19 years ago.

Whatever happens, you’re PIC it’s always your fault, not ever a controller’s, like the one years later who pressured me multiple times to accept a vector into a nice line of thunderstorms lit up on my stormscope like the 4th of July. Until I essentially told him to F off.

So sure, egging on a pilot to perform a low level airshow for the tower is just dandy, too.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rookiepilot wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:24 pm
digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:12 pm

Whatever happens, you’re PIC it’s always your fault, not ever a controller’s, like the one years later who pressured me multiple times to accept a vector into a nice line of thunderstorms lit up on my stormscope like the 4th of July. Until I essentially told him to F off.

So sure, egging on a pilot to perform a low level airshow for the tower is just dandy, too.
Then why do you expect the controller to lose his job?

If this was a first solo student then perhaps you could attribute a significant portion of the blame on the controller. But it wasn't. It was a pilot who flew low level, likely at fairly steep angles, for a living. Often in front of cameras or news crews. Somebody like that should not be influenced by an eager spectator.

piperdriver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by piperdriver »

digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:13 pm
rookiepilot wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:24 pm
digits_ wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:12 pm Oh god ... That's bad ...

Then why do you expect the controller to lose his job?

If this was a first solo student then perhaps you could attribute a significant portion of the blame on the controller. But it wasn't. It was a pilot who flew low level, likely at fairly steep angles, for a living. Often in front of cameras or news crews. Somebody like that should not be influenced by an eager spectator.
I will not state my opinion about the controller's actions here.

In regards to the pilot I agree/disagree. I agree he should not have been influenced by the controller. But the low level steep turn air work you speak of is performed by the CL-415 and not the Birddog Aircraft. And not every situation or fire would require a steep turn from the tankers it would depend on a a lot of factors. Fire behavior, topography, wind, the lake they are scooping from, etc. The birddog aircraft might go as low as 500 AGL to take a closer look at the fire behavior but is generally up above the tankers at 2000-3000 AGL. Usually performing a continuous right hand turn so the Air Attack Officer can observe the fire from the right seat.

In my opinion to say he flew close to the ground doing steep turns for a living would be a disingenuous statement.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

To put any blame at all on the controller is absurd, they don't fly the plane.

Period.

This is 100% on the pilot, and they paid the ultimate price, thank God it was just one fatality. There's even a confirmed pattern of decision making here, how much more evidence do you need?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”