Citation RTO After Inability to Rotate

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Citation RTO After Inability to Rotate

Post by pelmet »

C-FCAG, a Cessna Citation 560 Ultra aircraft operated by Chartright Air as HRT510, was departing
from Toronto Lester B. Pearson International Airport (CYYZ), ON to Philadelphia International
Airport (KPHL), USA, with 2 crew and 1 passenger on board. During the takeoff roll on runway 23,
the aircraft reached V1 speed and subsequently VR; when the pilot attempted to rotate the aircraft,
there was no response to his pitch input. The crew aborted the takeoff, reduced thrust to idle, and
activated the thrust reversers. Minimal braking was required and the aircraft exited the runway on
taxiway J2 where they stopped the aircraft. The crew heard two popping sounds in succession, and
felt the aircraft settle. They looked back at the wheels and observed a glowing red brake on the LH
side, and fire on the RH main wheel and tire. The crew advised ATC that they were evacuating on
the taxiway, and proceeded to exit the aircraft with the passenger. ARFF responded and
extinguished the fire. Both main landing gear tires had failed, and there was significant heat
damage to the brakes. There was no indication of any malfunction with the flight controls of the
aircraft. The TSB deployed two investigators to the occurrence.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Citation RTO After Inability to Rotate

Post by digits_ »

(deleted)

Last edited by digits_ on Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

“Minimal braking required” followed by “brake fire”

I wonder if dragging brakes would create enough of a nose down movement to make pulling the nose off heavier/ unable to?

WestTexasDeathPencil
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WestTexasDeathPencil »

fish4life wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:43 pm “Minimal braking required” followed by “brake fire”

I wonder if dragging brakes would create enough of a nose down movement to make pulling the nose off heavier/ unable to?
The crash that killed the Lokomotiv Yaroslavl hockey team was caused by precisely that. The difference being that they didn't know when to quit, and it cost them their lives.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Definitely sounds like parking brake on. Reminds me of this a little.
http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2018/03/c ... .html?m=1/

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Dry Guy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:10 pm Definitely sounds like parking brake on. Reminds me of this a little.
"An airport employee tells Castanet the U.S.-owned Cessna 560XL Citation Excel fuel tanks were filled past the safety cutoff, and instead of calling crews back and emptying the tanks to the prescribed safety level, the pilot revved the engines and applied the brakes as the plane was taxiing to burn off the excess fuel."

It amazes me the things pilots will do. I have actually seen this by a training captain on a big jet at max takeoff weight. Riding the brakes while taxiing with increased thrust in order to burn of a couple of hundred kg down to max takeoff weight. Maybe his excuse would have been that carbon brakes would be more effective for an RTO if they were warm.

Anyways, the brake temps seemed OK just prior to takeoff as he didn't do it for too long and it was a cold day. But why not just run the engines up while stopped, perhaps in coordination with ATC instead of riding the brakes unnecessarily, which is poor airmanship in my opinion.

The following example is obviously more extreme but this is what can happen when you over-use the brakes.

https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/ground- ... 2k3-kaduna

https://aviation-safety.net/photo/7701/ ... 2K3-YU-ANU

Be cautious about overusing the brakes. I was flying a simple Cessna the other day at 33 degrees celsius. While I did use braking, I was conscientious about it and left the park brake off after using them enough to be a bit concerned.

We don't know what happened to the aircraft in the first post, but a dragging brake can cause a big issue(athough you would think that you would get some sort of pitch up when trying to rotate at Vr). One pilot I know on a big jet taxied out and then back in due to suspicion of a dragging brake which in fact turned out to be the case. He noticed a turning tendency of the aircraft.

But what about on an aircraft with symmetrical brake applied? Perhaps the parking brake system is partially applied. It might be more difficult to notice such a thing. That is why it is good to be aware of how much power is required for the aircraft to move. It is my opinion that on a typical single engine Cessna, on a smooth, paved, level, uncontaminated surface......1000 rpm should get the aircraft moving. If you need 1200 rpm to start taxiing, perhaps you should be wondering if there is a problem.

Try to be familiar with how much power is required to start taxiing your aircraft type as a simple ballpark figure. An example could be…..……..”the aircraft should easily move forward from a stopped position on a level paved surface after releasing the brakes…..why do I need 1300 rpm to start moving at all?”.

At risk of being criticized by some: checking the parking brake is positioned properly is a good killer item to check just prior to entering the runway. That from someone who has taken off in an aircraft with brakes partially on.

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
YC87DRVR
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by YC87DRVR »

pelmet wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:22 am
Dry Guy wrote: Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:10 pm Definitely sounds like parking brake on. Reminds me of this a little.
"An airport employee tells Castanet the U.S.-owned Cessna 560XL Citation Excel fuel tanks were filled past the safety cutoff, and instead of calling crews back and emptying the tanks to the prescribed safety level, the pilot revved the engines and applied the brakes as the plane was taxiing to burn off the excess fuel."

It amazes me the things pilots will do. I have actually seen this by a training captain on a big jet at max takeoff weight. Riding the brakes while taxiing with increased thrust in order to burn of a couple of hundred kg down to max takeoff weight. Maybe his excuse would have been that carbon brakes would be more effective for an RTO if they were warm.

Anyways, the brake temps seemed OK just prior to takeoff as he didn't do it for too long and it was a cold day. But why not just run the engines up while stopped, perhaps in coordination with ATC instead of riding the brakes unnecessarily, which is poor airmanship in my opinion.

The following example is obviously more extreme but this is what can happen when you over-use the brakes.

https://www.baaa-acro.com/crash/ground- ... 2k3-kaduna

https://aviation-safety.net/photo/7701/ ... 2K3-YU-ANU

Be cautious about overusing the brakes. I was flying a simple Cessna the other day at 33 degrees celsius. While I did use braking, I was conscientious about it and left the park brake off after using them enough to be a bit concerned.

We don't know what happened to the aircraft in the first post, but a dragging brake can cause a big issue(athough you would think that you would get some sort of pitch up when trying to rotate at Vr). One pilot I know on a big jet taxied out and then back in due to suspicion of a dragging brake which in fact turned out to be the case. He noticed a turning tendency of the aircraft.

But what about on an aircraft with symmetrical brake applied? Perhaps the parking brake system is partially applied. It might be more difficult to notice such a thing. That is why it is good to be aware of how much power is required for the aircraft to move. It is my opinion that on a typical single engine Cessna, on a smooth, paved, level, uncontaminated surface......1000 rpm should get the aircraft moving. If you need 1200 rpm to start taxiing, perhaps you should be wondering if there is a problem. Try to be familiar with how much power is required to start taxiing.

At risk of being criticized by some: checking the parking brake is positioned properly is a good killer item to check just prior to entering the runway. That from someone who has taken off in an aircraft with brakes partially on.
I agree with you. Any idea how much overweight they were? Kelowna would be plenty long to get a “heavy” 560 airborne I’d imagine.
Also why wouldn’t then just attempt increased thrust on 1 and deploy the TR on the other engine. We used this as standard practice on the small RJ when a long taxi was expected on hot days in order to not overheat the brakes/cook the pax in the back. I guess if they were significantly over fuelled the short taxi in YLW wouldn’t have done much good without significant thrust.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”