Hard Landing Thread

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Hard Landing Thread

Post by pelmet »

C-FOJZ, a MHI RJ Aviation ULC Regional Jet CRJ 900 operated by Jazz Aviation LP, was
conducting Flight 8485 from Edmonton Intl. (CYEG), AB to Vancouver Intl. (CYVR), BC with 4 crew
members and 58 passengers on board. The Captain was conducting a check ride and was the pilot
monitoring. The First Officer was the pilot flying. The landing at CYVR was recorded as being
2.789g resulting in the requirement for a high load landing event inspection. The flight crew taxied
to the gate and were unable to start the airplane’s auxiliary power unit. After shutting down the
aircraft, the flight crew realized that a flight attendant (FA) was injured; paramedics were called to
attend. The FA, who was seated in the aft jump seat during the landing, was seriously injured and,
after first aid was administered, was taken to a local hospital. The other cabin crew member
received minor injuries.

Company Maintenance conducted an inspection and found that both main landing gear shocks
showed evidence of having bottomed out. They then initiated a high load landing event (HLLE)
inspection. The airplane remained on the ground at CYVR for 6 days while the HLLE inspection
and related tasks were carried out. The subsequent maintenance included replacing both of the
main landing gear. The airplane has been returned to service.
---------- ADS -----------

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Hard Landing Thread

Post by imjustlurking »

pelmet wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:56 pm C-FOJZ, a MHI RJ Aviation ULC Regional Jet CRJ 900 operated by Jazz Aviation LP, was
conducting Flight 8485 from Edmonton Intl. (CYEG), AB to Vancouver Intl. (CYVR), BC with 4 crew
members and 58 passengers on board. The Captain was conducting a check ride and was the pilot
monitoring. The First Officer was the pilot flying. The landing at CYVR was recorded as being
2.789g resulting in the requirement for a high load landing event inspection. The flight crew taxied
to the gate and were unable to start the airplane’s auxiliary power unit. After shutting down the
aircraft, the flight crew realized that a flight attendant (FA) was injured; paramedics were called to
attend. The FA, who was seated in the aft jump seat during the landing, was seriously injured and,
after first aid was administered, was taken to a local hospital. The other cabin crew member
received minor injuries.

Company Maintenance conducted an inspection and found that both main landing gear shocks
showed evidence of having bottomed out. They then initiated a high load landing event (HLLE)
inspection. The airplane remained on the ground at CYVR for 6 days while the HLLE inspection
and related tasks were carried out. The subsequent maintenance included replacing both of the
Quoting your source is a good idea.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4ede2e5b&opt=7424

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

imjustlurking wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:01 pm
pelmet wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:56 pm C-FOJZ, a MHI RJ Aviation ULC Regional Jet CRJ 900 operated by Jazz Aviation LP, was
received minor injuries.

Quoting your source is a good idea.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4ede2e5b&opt=7424
AvHerald was not my source. I find their site very user unfriendly, although it may be my lack of high tech skills.

My source is the TSB but there is no link to provide.

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

I've seen some "firm" landings in my day, especially during my time flying into YTZ on the Q400. I've seen hard landings written up in the logbook before, along with the associated hard landing inspection being performed by maintenance. Never in more than a decade of flying have I seen a landing that was so hard that a passenger or crew member was injured. Given the extent of the FA's injuries, I'm surprised there wasn't more severe structural damage to the aircraft.

From the sound of it, the FO was undergoing a line check, so perhaps a recent return from an extended period of being laid off? Never flown a CRJ, but from what I've heard from those who have, there are significant differences in landing attitude between the CRJ200 and CRJ900. Combine lack of recent experience, and putting someone on a 900 after flying a 200 for a few flights - maybe this is the result? Pure speculation on my part, but I think this will serve as a reminder for all airlines to exercise a high degree of prudence as flying rebounds, and pilots who have been off for a year or more are returning to the line en masse.

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

This was an eye opener for me in regards to the TSB "white washing an accident report", which I never thought they would do, until I read this report verses the TSB's actual report! This critique of the TSB report by Capt. Steve Last is quite an eye opener to say the least! :shock:
http://www.picma.info/sites/default/fil ... %201_4.pdf

Keep the dirty side down.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

From TSB....

C-FGMH, a privately registered Lake Amphibian A-4 aircraft, was conducting a flight from Canyon
Lake (56° 16’ N, 128° 10’ W), BC to Quesnel Airport (CYQZ), BC, with only the pilot on board.
When landing on Runway 13, the aircraft touched down hard, and the left main landing gear
collapsed. The aircraft departed the runway to the left and came to a rest in the grass,
approximately 200 feet from the runway. There were no injuries. The aircraft was substantially
damaged.
The aircraft has been disassembled and recovered to a maintenance facility for repair.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

So did they pass their line check then?

itsgrosswhatinet
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by itsgrosswhatinet »

1500hr minimum when?

Formerly of Upper Rubber Boot Airways
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

From TSB.....

C-GPTH, a privately registered Piper PA-34-200 was landing at Jacqueline Cochran Regional
Airport (KTRM), CA. The pilot of the airplane reported that they had a hard landing, the landing
gear collapsed, and the airplane veered left off the runway onto the dirt. No injuries.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”