Pay Attention After Touching Down

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Pay Attention After Touching Down

Post by pelmet »

It seems as if some pilots feel that after touching down, they can relax their vigilance for the rest of the flight to the parking spot. Watch this guy. Touches down, looks at his throttle area, looks into the back and starts talking, looks at his instrument panel. Then something happens........bump...hit someone.

Pay attention and look outside during the rollout. And if you do decide to look inside, make it as brief as possible.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1443755304408207361
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by pelmet on Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Pay Attention After Touching Down

Post by photofly »

Immediately after touching the ground is definitely the most dangerous part of any flight - it’s where all the accidents happen.

On a more serious note, why is it that as soon as one wheel touches the ground ATC starts barking instructions and your passengers start talking to you?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

photofly wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:27 am Immediately after touching the ground is definitely the most dangerous part of any flight - it’s where all the accidents happen.

On a more serious note, why is it that as soon as one wheel touches the ground ATC starts barking instructions and your passengers start talking to you?
Or as soon as you call "Go-Around" and add power, ATC starts nagging "Airline 123 do you need assistance?"

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

photofly wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:27 am Immediately after touching the ground is definitely the most dangerous part of any flight - it’s where all the accidents happen.
Not really, we have had a couple of midair collisions nearby one area I fly in the last few years. And I can think of another at a different location.

Anyways, inside distractions can lead to significant issues. A recent checkout on a taildragger with poor outside view had a recommendation of the various things to look at once the power is set for takeoff......pretty much all engine related. My thoughts were that I planned to more or less spend 100% of my time looking outside to ensure directional control was maintained. There is no perfect answer as one can have an engine problem but I figure that the likelihood of a directional problem is higher. And a run-up would have been completed anyways to check the engine.

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”