Banner Towplane Crash in Montreal

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Banner Towplane Crash in Montreal

Post by pelmet »

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/o ... d=msedgntp

I towed banners for a while in a 172. Performance was not great and always did it alone. Is it unusual to have two people in a towplane like a C172?
---------- ADS -----------

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Banner Towplane Crash in Montreal

Post by EPR »

I towed banners as well, in a C172 all so...not enough performance to have two people onboard!

Keep the dirty side down.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Let’s Go Brandon
AirFrame
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by AirFrame »

Makes me think about all the gender-reveal disasters that have happened recently. Just ask the person to marry you already.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Just ask the person to marry you already
Yep, I gotta agree with that!

Though I am keen to promote aviation, it seems not so well placed when mixed with weddings. I'm sure that many uses of aircraft go along okay, but there's just too much visibility on an aircraft associated with a wedding event. At the least, a helicopter is blowing a whole bunch of unsuspecting guests around. At worst, someone dies, and the marriage has a sadness associated forever. When my daughter got married here at home, not only did I not fly, I block the runway with a plane so no one else could land either. In return, we had a super event, and I have some beautiful photos of my daughter in front of the plane, which I knew nothing about until wedding photo time. It sure made an ugly flying boat look beautiful for a short time!

I can't say to pilots "don't get involved with weddings", but if you choose to, remember that a mistake you could make could affect a lot of people for a long time, make it extra safe!

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

PilotDAR wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 am I can't say to pilots "don't get involved with weddings", but if you choose to, remember that a mistake you could make could affect a lot of people for a long time, make it extra safe!
Based on the number of miserable divorced pilots I know, perhaps your “don’t get involved with weddings” should extend to pilots’ own lives!

On the other hand, I shouldn’t say anything because I am actually still married, 16 years after I committed aviation as part of my wedding! First and only time I have flown in a kilt!!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

PilotDAR wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 am I have some beautiful photos of my daughter in front of the plane, which I knew nothing about until wedding photo time. It sure made an ugly flying boat look beautiful for a short time!
Pro tip: if any pictures involve the bride touching the plane, or sitting in/on it, make sure the plane is super clean, even the parts you usually don't clean (exhaust, brakes, flight control hinges, oil vent line etc..). If anything, the plane should be so clean it isn't airworthy anymore!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

NotDirty! wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:44 am
PilotDAR wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:49 am I can't say to pilots "don't get involved with weddings", but if you choose to, remember that a mistake you could make could affect a lot of people for a long time, make it extra safe!
Based on the number of miserable divorced pilots I know, perhaps your “don’t get involved with weddings” should extend to pilots’ own lives!

On the other hand, I shouldn’t say anything because I am actually still married, 16 years after I committed aviation as part of my wedding! First and only time I have flown in a kilt!!
Let the wind blow high, let the wind blow low
Down the street in my kilt I go
A' the lassies shout, "Hullo!
Donald, where's your trousers?"
:drinkers: :drinkers:

Heliian
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Heliian »

AirFrame wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:33 am Makes me think about all the gender-reveal disasters that have happened recently. Just ask the person to marry you already.
It was a commercial banner towing operation.

There has been no indication about the occupants of the aircraft and who they were.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

AirFrame wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:33 am Makes me think about all the gender-reveal disasters that have happened recently. Just ask the person to marry you already.
Curiously I got asked to do a gender-reveal banner tow recently. Aside from not being equipped or approved for banner towing, I thought it was a terrible idea.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair »

photofly wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:26 am Curiously I got asked to do a gender-reveal banner tow recently. Aside from not being equipped or approved for banner towing, I thought it was a terrible idea.
No doubt, especially if the child hasn't told you their gender yet. How presumptuous!!! :roll:

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.
DadoBlade
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DadoBlade »

Sad. Need a banner tow aircraft? Employ a Boeing Stearman, a biplane. . Aircooled, 100LL. The only way to go. Powerful, aerobatic and ultimately sublime. She is kinda sweet, flying characteristics are similar to but NOT comparable to the CCF Harvard/AT-6 Texan..

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

C-FFRV, a Cessna 172M operated by Publicité Aero-Gramme Inc., departed from the Saint-
Mathieu de Laprairie aerodrome (CML8), QC to conduct a banner towing flight in the Montreal area
with 2 people on board. While attempting an emergency landing, the aircraft struck the ground in
Parc de Dieppe, located on the northern tip of Cité du Havre, in the Montreal borough of Ville-
Marie. Following the impact, a fire broke out and the aircraft was destroyed. The pilot was able to
evacuate the aircraft and was seriously injured; the second occupant was fatally injured.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

SeptRepair wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:53 am
photofly wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:26 am Curiously I got asked to do a gender-reveal banner tow recently. Aside from not being equipped or approved for banner towing, I thought it was a terrible idea.
No doubt, especially if the child hasn't told you their gender yet. How presumptuous!!! :roll:
Yeah you should have refused as you would be assuming the baby’s gender. It’s 2021 after all! :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”